Chicago appreciation

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by jwb1231970, Feb 14, 2017.

1. AudiophilePhil

AudiophilePhil Senior Member

I think around that time when he started using a heavily modified Fender Telecaster which he decorated with Pignose amplifier stickers. Terry Kath was using different guitar models and brands prior to 1973.

Comet01 likes this.
  2. AudiophilePhil

Early 1968 - When Billy Gibbon's band "The Moving Sidewalks" were touring with Jimi Hendrix, Hendrix showed Gibbons some guitar tricks. Gibbons was grateful to Hendrix for learning a lot from him. Then Hendrix praised him as America’s greatest new talent – “one of the few guitarists I’d pay to see."

Leter in June 1968 - When Chicago Transit Authority opened for Jimi Hendrix, he told Chicago woodwind player, "'Jeez, your horn players are like one set of lungs and your guitar player is better than me. “That cat blows me away: he’s better than I am,” was Jimi Hendrix’s response when he first heard late Chicago (the band) guitarist Terry Kath, when the group backed up Hendrix in its early days.

Regarding Rory Gallagher, I cannot find any reliable source about Jimi Hendrix praising him. Here is the only info that I found which from Wiki.
    Hendrix quote is a popular 'urban legend'. Supposedly Jimi was asked the question "and he responded with something along the lines of "I don't know about that, but I'm the best guitarist on this chair". --NotoriousTF (talk) 18:22, 6 December 2009 (UTC)
    Neither urban legend nor supposed, the "in this chair" quote was said by Hendrix to Dick Cavett upon the former's first of two appearances on the latter's show. Cavett prompts Jimi by saying something along the lines of, "Many people consider you the greatest guitarist alive", to which the ever celebrity-shy master replies, "How about the greatest guitarist sitting right here in this chair." This particular incidence, however, has 'nothing' to do with Rory Gallagher or Hendrix's recognition of his guitar virtuosity

Hep Alien likes this.
  3. Dougd

Dougd Forum Resident

The great group's 80s material is so uninteresting to me.
    Sure, the David Foster era gave them big hit singles (which they needed) and 17 is a decent LP, likely the best one after 1978-79, but it's still so different, so untypical Chicago.
    That style of music, with & after Cetera, doesn't appeal to me.
    That era doesn't have the "Chicago sound," which made the group famous in the earlier decade.

A big reason, I think, is the virtual absence of Lamm's songwriting. Yes, I know he's credited on some LP cuts, but he had long withdrawn from writing great songs in the late 70s.
    His absence is a sore spot in the 80s & beyond.

4. rjp

rjp Senior Member

there are 2 chicago's with kath and without.

no comparison either, completely different bands.

and of late, they have become the robert lamm band.

Hep Alien, AudiophilePhil and EdgardV like this.
  5. gregorya

gregorya I approve of this message

In my opinion, there were two Chicago's with Kath as well:

1) Chicago Transit Authority - Chicago VII

2) Chicago VIII - Chicago XI

The first is what I consider to be their most vibrant, creative, consistent and original period. Stunningly prolific too in that from 1969 through 1974 they released 4 double albums, a 4 record live set and 2 single albums... they were definitely firing on all cylinders throuhgout this period.

The second certainly has some highlights, and only contains three studio albums, but the song writing consistency begins to wane.

Chicago X is the lowest point to me (and I like "If You Leave Me Now"). Chicago XI was a better album but still had its weak spots.

All in my incredibly humble opinion of course... ;)

Last edited: Feb 25, 2018
  6. rjp

rjp Senior Member

i can see it.

EdgardV, Comet01 and gregorya like this.
  7. Reis

Reis Forum Resident

I just listened to VIII yesterday and it is full of Terry Kath guitar parts. Brand new love affair is excellent and “never been in love before” is a beautiful ballad (better song IMO than IYLMN) Great Spirit has grown on me....it is well done. X also has great moments. I agree that the earlier albums were more interesting and innovative but you eventually get tired and burn out a bit. It’s an evolution. They were headed towards mainstream. All and all, VIII-XI are very good.

eschorama, Hep Alien, Gardo and 2 others like this.
  8. AudiophilePhil

I believe the bigger reason why the 80's era Chicago doesn't have the vintage "Chicago sound" is the radical change in the recording production of the band. David Foster radically altered the band's overall sound from Geurcio's jazz-rock production to his more pop-oriented production with less prominent horn sound in the mix and more straight (west-coast) pop style. The lack of vintage "Chicago sound" became even more apparent in the late 80's and the later period when they welcomed songs from outside writers and when they replaced the jazz rock drumming of Danny Seraphine with a more straight pop drumming chops of Tris Imboden.
    Other factors that have contributed to the absence of vintage "Chicago sound" include the absence of Terry Kath's distinctive rhythm/solo guitar sound, his soulful vocal style, and his bluesy/more traditional rock and roll songwriting style, as well as (as you have mentioned) the virtual absence of Lamm's songwriting.

9. AudiophilePhil

I agree with Reis!
    During the classic era from 1969-1977, there was only one Chicago band.
    Unlike the Foster-era 80's Chicago where there was an obviously radical change in the band's overall sound and music direction , there was NO drastic change in the band's music style and direction during the Kath-Guercio era of the band. They were exactly the same band! What really happened was the band's music has evolved very gradually from purely experimental/progressive style of the Vietnam War era to the more eclectic style of the mid 70's to 1977 without losing their distinctively signature sound or steering away from their roots. They added an eight member, a bona-fide percussionist, enhancing their rhythm section in the process with Latin flavored rhythm while the other band members have increasingly become more active contributors in the songwriting and lead vocal department. Chicago X is a strong album in their canon in my opinion with great recorded sound to boot, thanks to the late great Doug Sax's engineering skills and experience in sound recording . It is one of my favorite albums of the Kath/Guercio era, with five of the members sang lead vocals on their own compositions, showing how versatile this band was during that era. Its "twin" album Chicago XI is as eclectic in terms of style and they are equally excellent albums. Chicago VIII, Chicago X and Chicago XI were great albums in their own rights.

Last edited: Feb 25, 2018
    Reis likes this.
  10. AudiophilePhil

I love this underrated song from the underrated post-Kath Chicago album "Hot Streets."
    I love the Lamm version but this alternate vocal version sang by guitarist, singer, actor Donnie Dacus with Chicago is no slouch either. Instead of imitating Robert Lamm's style of singing, he sang it in his own unique way.
    By the way, I prefer his singing style over Jason Scheff. Just my own personal preference. I love it when he combined his voice with Peter Cetera's (e.g., "Alive Again," "No Tell Lover," and Billy Joel's "My Life" background vocals.)

Hep Alien and Comet01 like this.
  11. Comet01

Comet01 Forum Resident

I have to admit that I scratch my head whenever I see you singing the praises of Hot Streets - I find the album to be mediocre (the title track excepted).

Having said that, thank you for posting that alternate track! I'm not a Dacus hater and I think that he was treated quite badly. He sounds good on that track.

Dacus' "Closer To You" should have been included on Hot Streets (rather than being relegated to b-side status for a 13 single).

12. Dougd

Dougd Forum Resident

It's not a bad song, but doesn't remind me a lot of Chicago.
    It might have been better as a single for someone else (or a Dacus single).

I think that's because the singer isn't traditionally associated with Chicago's lead vocals.

13. Reis

Reis Forum Resident

I think this is a beautiful song and Dacus’ vocals are certainly a departure from the Chicago sound but not bad. When I first heard this, I thought it sounded like it was composed by Burt Bacharach. I know that Robert Lamm greatly admired Bacharach. It also sounds more like his solo efforts.

AudiophilePhil likes this.
  14. EdgardV

EdgardV ®

FWIW a dissenting view—

The opening instrumental sounds interesting; but then the rest of the song doesn't do anything for me.

While Dacus has more vocal chops than Scheff, unfortunately I find his voice equally unpleasant. Rather than the sound emanating from his diaphragm, it sounds like it is vibrating painfully in his sinuses. On this particular track he actually sounds slightly like Paul Williams (not a compliment).

I can hear some of the characterizations others posters have offered, but to me they are being generous.

It does sound a bit like Lamm's solo material, but his weaker stuff. For me, rather than a Bacharach influence, it sounds more like the kitschy theme from the TV show The Love Boat.

Wish I could appreciate it as others do — my loss.

I just listened to the Chicago 13 version, and find it slightly more interesting instrumentally.

Last edited: Feb 28, 2018
    Hep Alien likes this.
  15. EdgardV

EdgardV ®

Whoops --- in my last paragraph mixed up two different songs (lol). Similar titles, lyrics and rythum.

16. Billo

Billo Forum Resident

Trouble is it seems you can't have a Chicago APPRECIATION thread without the same old attitudes and belittlements of some band members and the same hero worship over praise of others being repeated yet again....

17. AudiophilePhil

In my opinion, "Love Was New" with Robert Lamm's vocals is among the best deep album tracks in "Hot Streets." Obviously, it was cut from the same cloth as "Beginnings," "Does Anybody Really Know What Time It Is?," "All is Well," "Policeman," and "Hot Streets," having something in common which is the vintage Chicago sound - tasteful horn arrangement, nice jazz/pop drum chops by Seraphine, and Lamm's typical smooth vocal style. I actually prefer Lamm's version that appeared as the final version in "Hot Streets" but Dacus showed his originality by singing it in his own distinctive style which is very different from Lamm's style of singing. I agree Dacus does not possess the best voice quality but his singing technique is superior to that of Scheff, in my honest opinion.

Hep Alien likes this.
  18. Reis

Reis Forum Resident

I also love Lamm’s vocals on this song. Something interesting to me about this song since I played clarinet is that this is the only song on that album that the horn charts weren’t written by Pankow. Robert often wrote his own horn charts which gave it a different sound. Jimmy was a jazzer and loved big band. Robert’s charts were more subtle and melodic. Don’t get me wrong though, Pankow was a genius composer but I just like the contrast.

Hep Alien and AudiophilePhil like this.
  19. AudiophilePhil

20. AudiophilePhil

Terry Kath, the heart and soul of Chicago

[​IMG]

andrewskyDE and RockRoom like this.
  21. BarryChicago

BarryChicago A Flower

Ooh! A Chicago thread! For me, there were 2 "good" periods for Chicago: CTA through Hot Streets and albums 16 through 18. In my opinion, the magic truly ran out for Chicago after Foster left.

22. Dougd

Dougd Forum Resident

What a photo.

EdgardV and AudiophilePhil like this.
  23. Dougd

Dougd Forum Resident

I don't see a lot of that here.
    Of course, not everyone agrees with everyone & you will find some dissenting opinions, which is fine.
    I think anyone posting in this thread likely is a fan of CHI.

EdgardV, Reis and AudiophilePhil like this.
  24. Reis

Reis Forum Resident

This photo is from the 9/11/76 edition of Record World Magazine.
    [​IMG]

25. AudiophilePhil

Wow! Love this photo! I have seen a black and white variation of this photo but not this one. Thanks for posting this! I believe this photo was taken near Guercio's Caribou Ranch Studio in the Colorado Rockies.

Last edited: Mar 8, 2018
    EdgardV and RockRoom like this.