Chicago appreciation

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by jwb1231970, Feb 14, 2017.

1. jwb1231970

jwb1231970 Ordinary Guy Thread Starter

bump, lets keep talking bout these guys

MortSahlFan and old4mat like this.
  2. jon9091

jon9091 Master Of Reality

Listening to Chicago VII right now. I really enjoy the instrumental sides. Terry Kath is a great guitarist...but, I'm not that much of a fan of his singing.

I'm pondering picking up The Carnegie Hall set (if I can find a good one).

MikaelaArsenault and Dougd like this.
  3. Humbuster

Humbuster Staff Emeritus

Have loved this band ever since I purchased their debut album as a wee lad in the late sixties.

My very first rock concert was Chicago at Montclair State College in the fall of 1969. My older sis was working lights and got the entire band to sign the poster that came with their second album for me.

4. EdgardV

EdgardV ®

VII is probably my favorite album. I too love the instrumental stuff. Sometimes I pair it up with a couple of tracks from III, Happy 'Cause I'm Going Home, and Free Country.

Surprised that your not a fan of Terry's singing. To me, his distinctive voice is a big part of Chicago's aesthetic. The 3 lead singers are so well separated, all distinctive and balanced. When Chicago did perform a ballad, I found them most successful when Terry was the vocalist.

Something just popped into my head... if comparing the 3 vocalists to food, I'd say Terry was like well seasoned slow smoked BBQ ribs; Robert was like a nicely marinated and grilled pork tenderloin; and Peter was like perfectly ripe grapefruit or pineapple. I love them all, and I guess I'm hungry!

Although, as much as I liked TK in the studio, he seemed to struggle in concert at times.

On the other hand, I might understand a little bit, because while I really like much of Led Zeppelin's music/instrumentals, I don't like Robert Plants voice, and can't listen to their music because of it.

5. Johnny Reb

Johnny Reb Résident du forum

About Carnegie Hall: a sprawling, epic collection imo. Very rewarding, the song selections are great, and the band is in top form. The only downside is the sub-par sq, which is only really apparent on the horns to me.

Oh, and I found the entire box for $1! :righton:

6. timind

timind phorum rezident

I just ordered the Steve Wilson remix of Chicago II after talking to another member here. I haven't heard this album in 30+ years as I have no idea where my vinyl copy went, probably ex-wife took it.

Honestly though, I had no interest in the band after their third release. Maybe I was wrong and should investigate further.

7. Siegmund

Siegmund Vinyl Sceptic

I own the first three albums and like them a lot. Like most people of my age, I had them tagged as soft-rockers on the basis of the hit singles that predominated from 1976 onwards and wasn't aware of their early years as a hard rock/experimental band.

It's forgotten how huge they were in America in the 70s: their fall from grace in 1977-78 (facilitated by Kath's demise) was sudden and spectacular. The David Foster-dominated later incarnation of the band is generally loathed, though I suppose they deserve props for being survivors.

MortSahlFan and AudiophilePhil like this.
  8. Siegmund

Siegmund Vinyl Sceptic

People also forget how POLITICAL they were!

9. Planbee

Planbee Negative Nellie

I don't understand why people who liked the first three albums wouldn't at least check out Chicago V. IMO, it's a way better album than III, and as a single LP it's not the chore (IMO, again) that is III.

10. timind

timind phorum rezident

I was listening to these at time of release when I was in my late teens. With the release of III, Chicago lost that coolness factor for me which was an absolute must have back in then. There was just too much music and too little time to listen, and too little money. Unfortunately, my musical snobbishness combined with a lack of funds kept me from hearing a lot of music.

I still listen to CTA and would probably put it on my desert island list.

MikaelaArsenault and Planbee like this.
  11. EdgardV

EdgardV ®

If you haven't heard this before, cool sound from the early days. Like the version of Liberation and the sound of Terry's guitar.

Chicago Transit Authority
    Live at The Fillmore West
    10 South Van Ness Avenue
    San Francisco, CA 94103
    August 15 — 17, 1969​

Last edited: Mar 6, 2017
  12. Dougd

Dougd Forum Resident

This thread inspired me to take a Chicago weekend listening binge.
    While out driving and engaging in my big hobby of rail photography, I listened to Chicago's LPs chronologically from CTA to VIII.
    I only have some songs from X (the chocolate LP) and XI (Kath's Mississippi Delta Blues, Baby What a Big Surprise, etc. I use town both LPs. I need to download or "record" my missing ones from Spotify.

I must say I was impressed with VII, which I didn't particularly care for in the past.
    VII's jazzy songs were great, particularly the drumming.
    I liked how the group seemed to be in a "party-like" atmosphere in some of VII's songs, like Mongonucleosis.
    I of course have always loved the hits off that LP (my first LPs were II & GH), but it was good to hear those others from VII.
    I now rank VII higher.

My ranking:

Chicago (II)
    CTA
    V
    VII
    III (was ahead of VII, changes places)
    VIII
    X
    XI
    VI
    Hot Streets

13. Greg Carrier

Greg Carrier Senior Member

The remastered CD version of Carnegie Hall sounds much better to me than any previous version, vinyl or CD.

14. dance_hall_keeper

dance_hall_keeper Forum Resident

Thanks to my Bose Wave® SoundTouch® System IV and Radio Veronica from the Netherlands, I was able to hear last week for the first time ever "Beginnings", complete with at least five "radio edits". What a total abomination! As an afterthought, I should have timed it and compare that to the figure to the original version.

MortSahlFan likes this.
  15. videoman

videoman Senior Member

They were declining and poised for that fall from grace regardless, IMO. I love Kath, but I think his death and their decline were as much coincidental as anything.

There might have been several things Chicago could have done better to be more artistically relevant and commercially viable in the punk/disco era of the late 70s, but having Terry Kath as a primary singer/songwriter/guitarist probably wasn't one of them.

16. Dougd

Dougd Forum Resident

The group had begun to decline with Kath, on VIII through XI. I don't think he (alone) could've slowed that decline, though he was an important part of the group.
    The loss of Lamm, Pankow or even Cetera would've been as decimating.

Some accounts I've read state Chicago was at their commercial peak in 1974, with VIII.
    VII seems to be the group's last great LP (III, VI, VIII, X & XI were good to average, IMO).

I wasn't aware that Kath, while he sang on & wrote many songs VIII-XI, wasn't the primary singer/songwriter.

John Bliss likes this.
  17. AudiophilePhil

AudiophilePhil Senior Member

My latest ranking:

1. Chicago Transit Authority
    2. Chicago (aka Chicago II)
    3. Chicago VII

4. Chicago III
    5. Chicago V

6. Chicago X
    7. Chicago XI
    8. Chicago VI
    9. Chicago VIII
    10. Chicago IX-Greatest Hits
    11. Chicago at Carnegie Hall

12. Hot Streets

MortSahlFan likes this.
  18. Dawg In Control

Dawg In Control Forum Resident

"The only downside is the sub-par sq, which is only really apparent on the horns to me."

Live in Japan
    recorded in 1975 is a better sound quality live recording than IV (Live At Carnegie Hall) and available. "Free" is killer on that one.

IV is just a poor sound quality recording.

Hep Alien likes this.
  19. Vincentrifugal

Vincentrifugal Forum Resident

So many free posters!

20. Dougd

Dougd Forum Resident

Another downside is its song selection, IMO.

I was disappointed to find these songs (from Chicago (II) ) omitted:
    -Poem for the People
    -Movin' In
    -The Road
    -At The Sunrise (from III)

Poem for The People & Movin' In were great songs, the other was fine.
    That whole LP side, side 2 of Chicago (II), was one of the most enjoyable sides Chicago ever recorded.

Thankfully, In The Country was included, and is a Kath gem.
    I never get tired hearing that one.

It has always been in my Chicago comps. (Same with Wake Up Sunshine, Fancy Colors, At The Sunrise)

A group is more than their hit singles. I wish In The Country had been a single, but was likely too complex & too long for radio. Editing it may have been objectionable.

Last edited: Aug 13, 2017
  21. Dougd

Dougd Forum Resident

You're right.
    III is a VERY good LP.
    It's an underrated LP.

It has no big "hits."
    Free was the only big hit single. It hit No. 20.

I've never tired of listening to the LP.
    It has a great "relaxing" transition period, the delightful Happy 'Cause I'm Going Home, as well as other great songs.
    What Else Can I Say is also good.

But like II (Chicago), there are parts that seem more dated & less listenable.
    The Hour in The Shower saga goes too long, much like It Better End Soon, which could've easily been trimmed.
    It Better End Soon would've been "better" if it ended sooner :) :)
    That doesn't mean they're "bad" or sub-par songs, just less interesting and not as powerful as the other songs on the respective LPs.

CTA & Chicago (II) seem interchangeable.

I prefer II over the first, but CTA is a very good LP, and at the same time, different from II, which in many ways is less "raw" and more "pop."
    CTA has this great powerful & raw energy and a superior debut group LP.

22. Dougd

Dougd Forum Resident

Kath possesses a great soulful sound.
    It's very different from the group's other lead singers.
    I wish he sang leads on more singles.

23. seilerbird

seilerbird Forum Resident

If you love Chicago then you should consider getting Quadio and a surround system. It contains the first ten albums (except Carnegie). It is one of the highest rated surround sets available. SQ, quad quality and packaging are as good as it gets. Also Danny Seraphine has an excellent book out Street Player. Definitely white washed but still enjoyable for a Chicago fan.

https://www.amazon.com/Street-Playe...id=1502660169&sr=1-1&keywords=danny+seraphine

24. pool_of_tears

pool_of_tears Searching For Simplicity

Little Feat...Lowell George, Bill Payne, Paul Barrere

25. seilerbird

seilerbird Forum Resident

What about Chicago singing Jumping Jack Flash at the end of Feelin' Stronger Every Day along with Satisfaction? Or Southern California Purples by Chicago sampling I am the Walrus?

Hep Alien and AudiophilePhil like this.