Chicago II Steven Wilson Remix Announced ! 01/27/2017

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Ninecats, Apr 5, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. gkella

gkella Glen Kellaway From The Basement

Chicago is touring this year with opening act John Phillip Souza and Young...

JDeanB likes this.
  2. Chris Schoen

Chris Schoen Rock 'n Roll !!!

That's great, they can show 'em how it's done! :pineapple:

3. lukpac

lukpac Senior Member

My advice would be for you to listen for yourself:

Chicago ll Steven Wilson Remix - YouTube

But the original mix has always had issues. Often dull and peaky at the same time. Something squashed and just "not right" about the sound. The SW remix doesn't *entirely* resolve that (Make Me Smile is arguably still a low point, sonically), but in general it's much more pleasant and natural sounding than the original mix. The issue with the original mix isn't that you can't hear certain parts, it's that many parts just don't sound very good.

4. Todd W.

Todd W. It's a Puggle

Honestly, I listened to the remix yesterday. Certainly less bass response. I'm not going to sit hear and disagree because I've read what you have written on subjects of sound quality and agree mostly. Make Me Smile sounds like a completely different recording than the rest of the album.

I appreciate your opinion. I don't mind the stereo quadio box at all. Actually, I like it. I hear everything I'm supposed to, I think. I enjoy all of SW remixes from Tull to Crimson to Yes. I probably will buy it, but I'm probably not going to hear a huge difference.

sbrom likes this.
  5. sbrom

sbrom Forum Resident

I'm new to the forum, so please take my comments with the appropriate grain...:)
    Quadio Stereo or SW Remix? Everyone wins.
    • Quadio stereo mix has a muscular and prominent presentation, with more bass. Bass in the SW mix is thin.
    • SW mix has a wider sound stage, but gives up the more precise imaging of Quadio.
    • Vocals and guitar in the SW mix are smoother than Quadio.
    • SW gets better the louder you play it.
    Conclusion: If I'm playing in stereo at nominal levels, Quadio. Playing loud, I'd go with the SW mix. Most of the time I'll go with Quadio in quad as first choice.

6. Chris C

Chris C Music was my first love and it will be my last!

You will not hear huge differences, as Steven remixed it very, VERY close to the same tone and balance as heard before. Worthy of a purchase, but do not expect drastic changes, (like I personally originally hoped for, before I started reading the reviews in this thread), but instead what you will find are some VERY subtle changes, that slightly enhance the mix as to what our ears already know.

Again, as I have said before in this thread, but I applaud this remix, just for a chance at having the end results improved, which it does in very small doses. If I have any one regret in recommending this remix for purchase, it's that I do NOT want to give the people in charge of this release, including Steven Wilson himself, the idea that I want more remixing by him in this same fashion, rather than the usual kind of remix that we Steven Wilson fans have come to love and appreciate, which are far more "involved". What I'm trying to say is, I've already got a Steve Hoffman and a Vic Anesini, if I need subtle touches to awaken a "faulty" recording, that will make them more involving. Those two gentlemen are not known for "remixing", but Steven is, so if he is the guy who is hired for the job and he is going to remix an album, then the LAST thing that I want from him, is subtle remixing!

7. tspit74

tspit74 Senior Member

Wilson seems to have an excellent understanding of what frequency range and tone each instrument naturally sits in. Regardless of what experimental microphone choices and placement, he's able to set the instruments back to where they want to live and build them back up from there. That seems to be his genius. He's done this with Chicago II as well as his other remix projects. Although revisionist to a degree, his approach usually results in a more natural presentation. CII has always been very AM radio sounding and AW has tamed that. His mixes tend to breathe a little more and are easier on the ears. Not a replacement for the original, but for 10 bucks, worth a spin if you love the album.

8. Chris C

Well said!

sbrom likes this.
  9. lukpac

lukpac Senior Member

This.

sbrom likes this.
  10. videoman

videoman Senior Member

Let's remember that if you have the Quadio Box stereo version that the "side 2" tracks are in mono unless you order a replacement disc from Rhino

11. lukpac

lukpac Senior Member

But a Steve Hoffman or a Vic Anesini could not have achieved the results Wilson did with Chicago, due to the nature of the original mix.

Tommy SB, mpayan and AudiophilePhil like this.
  12. gregorya

gregorya I approve of this message

I finally listened to the Steven Wilson remix last night and was really impressed. I have been listening to this album since its original release and have owned the original Canadian vinyl and its US counterpart. In truth, my original copy was a used copy from my cousin that I played on an old floor standing console radio with a 10" speaker and a built in BSR turntable. So, a stereo album played back in mono. It sounded great, but hey, I was 12 and that old machine really pumped out impressive sound... then I got a "real stereo", and bought a new copy, US copy, etc. As the systems got better over the years, the sound of this album got worse... oh well, progress I guess.

I also have purchased every CD version as they were released, as well as the DVDA and the SACD and more recently the Quadio box... so of course when the Wilson remix was announced, I ordered it immediately... why?... because 1) I am still interested in what can be done to improve this off-sounding album and 2) regardless of the sound quality, I love the music, and 3) I'm an idiot... ;)

Anyway, I listened to it last night and was very impressed with it overall. The balance is better, the detail is clearer, the vocals are more defined and the drums are more distinct. To be fair, I didn't do any A/B comparisons and I am breaking in a new pair of headphones and a new headphone amp, so I'm sure that could also influence my opinion in some regards. All of that aside, I do think this is a really nice alternative that doesn't stray too far from the original.

So, if another version is released down the road will I buy it? Of course I will (see item #3, paragraph 2 above)... :)

Gramps Tom, Gardo, Todd W. and 4 others like this.
  13. Chris C

Done and done

sbrom and videoman like this.
  14. videoman

videoman Senior Member

I still gotta while I have the chance. I don't know that I will ever listen to those stereo mixes but why have a faulty copy if I don't need to?

sbrom, gregorya and Chris C like this.
  15. sbrom

sbrom Forum Resident

Its painless, just takes rhino a long time to send replacements. I requested them shortly after the issue was uncovered. It took a couple months, Rhino is good for their word, the replacement discs are as advertised.

videoman likes this.
  16. mpayan

mpayan A Tad Rolled Off

I dont think Id describe what Steven Wilson did with this remix as "very subtle". I think the trick he did is to make them *appear* very subtle by staying true enough to the original mix yet clearing up the clarity of the instrumentation quite a bit and (to a degree) the vocals.

As far as the bass goes, I think it both sets in the remix and pops out very nicely. Again, the later is probably due to the clarity and the former due to staying true as possible to the original mix. Im sure its more complicated and involved than what Im stating; but in general Id wager this is what is happening.

I would say overall the bottom end is more prominent in this remix. Or it seems so to me.

Last edited: Feb 3, 2017
    DonnyMe, jhm, AudiophilePhil and 4 others like this.
  17. SteelyNJ

SteelyNJ Forum Resident

This literally had me laughing out loud!

gregorya likes this.
  18. gregorya

gregorya I approve of this message

Good, happy Friday!!! :):)

SteelyNJ likes this.
  19. johnny q

johnny q Forum Resident

I just purchased the 24/96 HdTracks. Full disclosure - I have never heard this album before front to back. But wow - this recording really needs a set of cojones, yes? There is hardly any low end at all. I am sure to long term fans, this is not news. Anyway - looking forward to hearing this music for the first time.

20. Andreas

Andreas Senior Member

I have listened to the remix now for the first time. On the one hand, I enjoyed that clarity and, well, reality of the recording in the new mix. Especially the horn sections sound 3-dimensional and with much less distortion than before, and I heard so many more details on Kath's solos. From a fidelity standpoint I should like the remix.

However, it didn't move me like the original mix. It didn't rock, it didn't have the same impact. Maybe it is because parts of the original mix were more compressed, or mixed more upfront. No easy answer, but as of now, it could be that I prefer the original mix (on the MoFi SACD).

Make Me Smile is a definite improvement on the remix, though.

AudiophilePhil likes this.
  21. soundQman

soundQman Senior Member

Is it only only the Chicago II disc in Quadio with this error? I haven't listened through the entire box yet. Thanks.

22. videoman

videoman Senior Member

The same songs that appear on the GH album (Make Me Smile and Colour My World) have the same error.

23. soundQman

soundQman Senior Member

Thanks. Are they offering correction discs for both, of just II? Not that it really matters much.

24. videoman

videoman Senior Member

Yes for both

25. Mainline461

Mainline461 Forum Resident

OMG Steve Wilson killed on this one, giving a first listen now. I thought I was done when I got the Quadio, I am so glad I bought this. Refreshed is the term I would use. As a guitarist Kath's rhythm guitar is what popped for me, it's no longer buried. Horns are pleasant now. Vocals natural. Bass tight and defined. It's a great thing when you finally have a definitive version.

videoman, bmoregnr, mikrt17 and 3 others like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.