Chicago II Steven Wilson Remix Announced ! 01/27/2017

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Ninecats, Apr 5, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. SteelyNJ

SteelyNJ Forum Resident

With particular respect to that impression, I'd be interested to know the type of cartridge, stylus and speakers (or "headfones") you're using.

2. Headfone

Headfone Nothing Tops A Martin

Rega P1 (glass platter / traction mat)
    Ortofon OMB
    Ortofon Stylus 20
    Mordaunt-Short: MS904

SteelyNJ likes this.
  3. AudiophilePhil

AudiophilePhil Senior Member

Please let us know also which of the two vinyl reissues is less fatiguing.

4. Headfone

Please define "fatiguing" and I'll be happy to try :).

5. George P

George P Notable Member

I understand it to mean aural discomfort

AudiophilePhil likes this.
  6. AudiophilePhil

Please allow me rephrase my question.
    Which of the two vinyl reissues of Chicago II is more relaxing to your ears (hearing) and the one that gives you the urge to listen more as opposed to turning off your stereo system after a few minutes of listening to the music.

7. Myke

Myke Trying Not To Spook The Horse

I know, right ? When I joined this forum, I'm thinking of the traditional definition. Working hard, working up a sweat, muscles tired, back hurting...
    No, this is some guy, sitting in a chair, and his ears don't like what they hear. Took some getting used to.

8. Headfone

OK. Got it. I'll get back to you soon.

AudiophilePhil likes this.
  9. AudiophilePhil

:D:righton:

10. Headfone

I don't consider either of the versions to be "fatiguing." Bellman is more sonically extreme and in your face. Some days I'm gonna like that. The Gray / Wilson remix, I suppose, could be considered to be easier on the ears because of a more balanced approach to EQ. Comes across a bit "softer."

BTW, while I'm at it, on Make Me Smile, the tambourine during the instrumental section is almost twice as bright on Bellman. The shaker has about the same presence on both versions.

I think Bellman generally hits harder. Gray strikes me as slightly more defined. That's probably because he's working with a pretty nicely done remix.

I dunno. Just my early impressions. I'm sure I'm gonna be happy to have them both.

Gardo and AudiophilePhil like this.
  11. Myke

Just ordered the Gray / Wilson vinyl from Barnes & Noble online. Used coupon code U7A4V4M which is good for $ 5.00 off vinyl, and yes, REUSABLE. I nicked it off Blu-ray.com.

Chicago II [Steven Wilson Remix]

:tiphat:

Headfone likes this.
  12. Myke

No one has submitted this to Discogs yet...if anyone feels like a little typing...:whistle:

13. Myke

14. AudiophilePhil

a
    Thank you Headfone for sharing your comparison notes. Which one sounds more natural to you? You can use your experience in watching live acoustic indoor concert.

Last edited: Aug 15, 2017
  15. Myke

16. Myke

Say hello to the new owner of a sealed Bellman. :winkgrin: Oh well, I need to remember. Bellman = original mix. Kevin = SW remix. Yeah, that's the ticket.

Headfone likes this.
  17. PTgraphics

PTgraphics Senior Member

You should have both like you mentioned. Two different mixes and mastering. I have the Bellman LP and it sounds awesome. I have the hi-res SW remix as well.

18. Myke

Maybe the Bellman from Canada, and the KG from Barnes & Noble, will arrive together. Cool when that happens !

19. Myke

Okay, so I just submitted it. Can anyone here please add images of the album jacket ? I have no photographic capability here.

Link : Chicago (2) - Chicago (Steven Wilson Remix)

AudiophilePhil and g.z. like this.
  20. John D.

John D. Senior Member

AudiophilePhil, g.z. and Myke like this.
  21. Myke

Beautiful. Thank you.

22. Myke

Wow ! In all fairness, I haven't listened to this album on either vinyl ( my original was trashed over the course of 47 years), or even stereo ! When I found the DVD-A, that was my go-to for a good 8 years.
    This is such a treat in stereo, and yes, Kevin has managed to uncover treats I don't remember hearing before.
    Thanks to @Headfone ...you spread the word, and 6 days later, I'm spinnin' it.
    Couldn't be happier.
    Esp. knowing a sealed Bellman is on it's way down from Canada, and I know it'll blow me away too.

2009 Bellman
    2016 Quadio copy for 4.0
    2017 SW CD
    2017 SW / KG vinyl

23. Headfone

Bellman is great, too. I'm glad I have them both. I'm set for life on Chicago II, one of my Top 10 favorite albums of all time.

Really glad to hear you're happy with Wilson/Gray.

AudiophilePhil and Myke like this.
  24. JediJoker

JediJoker Audio Engineer/Enthusiast

Most of the credit goes to Steven Wilson for his remix, and less to Kevin Gray for his sympathetic vinyl master.

lukpac, George P and AudiophilePhil like this.
  25. Myke

Wasn't this wowed by the CD back in January, sorry.

JediJoker likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.