Chicago II Steven Wilson Remix Announced ! 01/27/2017

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Ninecats, Apr 5, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. walrus

walrus Staring into nothing

Seems like it's stereo-only. Which makes no sense whatsoever.

2. Myke

Myke Trying Not To Spook The Horse

What else would you want ? We already have the quad.

supermd and Ed Hughes like this.
  3. agentalbert

agentalbert Senior Member

It could very likely be available in hi-rez via HDTracks, and other online hi-rez retailers, like his Tull remixes.

A Wilson 5.1 mix would be preferable (imo) to the quad. I'm not crazy about the quad mixes. Also a hi-rez stereo version of the Wilson re-mix which may very well be better than the original mix, for those of us who aren't automatically wedded to something just for it being the "original mix".

RubenH likes this.
  4. rstamberg

rstamberg Senior Member

I, too, wish there was going to be a surround sound option for this ... especially since we got a Quadio disc of CHICAGO II earlier this year.

5. walrus

Still only stereo. (Although why HDTracks hasn't started selling OOP surround mixes in FLAC, I have no idea)

6. lukpac

lukpac Senior Member

mpayan likes this.
  7. walrus

Okay, I don't really understand how this works, but that's another topic. But...we have the quad mix. I'm wondering why they went through all the trouble of having Steven Wilson remix an album, to have it be only in stereo. I'm sure it will sound good, but...just seems weird. Especially since the album would've made a great release similar to his Yes series, with original mixes, remixes, surround, etc. The album certainly deserves that kind of love.

8. lukpac

lukpac Senior Member

It's certainly a good choice for a stereo remix.

PhoffiFozz, Gardo and RoyalScam like this.
  9. alexpop

alexpop Power pop + other bad habits....

I bet you there's a 5.1 mix later next year.

RubenH likes this.
  10. Ed Hughes

Ed Hughes Senior Member

I'm looking forward to a new stereo mix. As Myke said we do have the quad mix for surround.

SteelyNJ and Myke like this.
  11. gregorya

gregorya I approve of this message

1.1... the mono mix plus sub... sweet!!!

Myke likes this.
  12. walrus

I feel like most albums from that era are. Engineers still hadn't really figured out how to properly mix stereo by early 1970.

13. agentalbert

agentalbert Senior Member

While both quad and 5.1 are "surround", they're often very different. Vintage quad mixes tend to have more information sent to the two rear's than is the case with more modern 5.1 mixes. With the Chicago quad mixes, some (including me) find the vocals to be buried in the mix and so would prefer a more modern 5.1 mix of the style Wilson usually does.

chaz and Myke like this.
  14. Myke

Wouldn't that be great ? :laugh: Then armchair recording engineers who wouldn't be born for another decade could analyze and pontificate on it.
    :sigh:

gregorya likes this.
  15. mpayan

mpayan A Tad Rolled Off

Its not really another topic.

16. Myke

Thanks ! Deleted post since I now have clarification.

17. lukpac

lukpac Senior Member

There's nothing wrong with the Chicago mixes of the era from a stereo perspective. CTA sounds great. The problem is with very odd tonal balances that make the second album sound very lo-fi at times.

18. pool_of_tears

pool_of_tears Searching For Simplicity

Exactly right. I guess some folks just can't be happy :)

19. walrus

How a 2-channel file becomes a surround file without discreet audio data/channels seems like another topic. But the technology certainly exists for HDTracks to sell proper multichannel audio, and I remain surprised that they don't.

20. videoman

videoman Senior Member

And there's a currently out-of-print 5.1 mix from 2003.

Ed Hughes likes this.
  21. pool_of_tears

pool_of_tears Searching For Simplicity

Nah, by early 1970, Stereo mixes were generally well done...having 8 and 16 tracks available, far less bouncing and more balanced mixes. As for 1960's stereo mixes...most do suck.

22. Myke

At 12 years old at the time, plus a buttload of local pride ( need I remind you Terry lived in my neighborhood, attended the same schools ? ) we thought the first two albums were fantastic. Of course we had no waveforms to show us we were wrong either. :laugh:

23. tootull

tootull Looking through a glass onion

Enjoying now!

[​IMG]
    :pineapple:

24. videoman

videoman Senior Member

Not a great mix, IMO--- FWIW. Much prefer the quad. This one is really more just "big stereo". Not a lot of discreetness. So had Wilson done a new 5.1, I'd have been all for it.

But considering all the other mixes out there, I can see why they didn't bother. Especially since doing so probably would have increased the price point considerably?

Although this mix certainly sounds good from a audio-quality perspective

25. Myke

Wow, and here I am listening to the Quad. Kinda makes you all tingly, doesn't it ? o_O

videoman likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.