Chicago Into The Rock And Roll Hall Of Fame: What Happens Next?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by tonyc, Dec 17, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Myke

Myke Trying Not To Spook The Horse

2. Myke

Myke Trying Not To Spook The Horse

The CTA Quadio DVD turned up LOUD... :winkgrin:

3. AudiophilePhil

AudiophilePhil Senior Member

Cheap Trick, N.W.A., and no Peter Cetera: Jimmy Pardo recaps the 2016 Rock Hall inductions

http://www.avclub.com/article/cheap-trick-nw-and-no-peter-cetera-ji...

Then it was time for Chicago. Rob Thomas came out and gave a great speech, yet sounded like he had a little help from a speechwriter. He did a thing about the balls on Chicago that their first three albums were all double albums, and then they had the balls to call them Chicago I, Chicago II, Chicago III. And of course, as the biggest Chicago fan in the world, I turned to my friend Peter, and we looked at each other like, “the first album’s not called Chicago I. It’s called Chicago Transit Authority.” So it’s like, really? You screwed that up in the frickin’ speech? But who cares?

And then Chicago came up and they gave their speeches. Walt Parazaider was very teary-eyed and genuine, and Lee Loughnane was the same, and Jimmy Pankow, who’s known for talking quite a bit, didn’t say very much. And then Robert Lamm was at a loss for words and I’ve never seen him that way. I don’t know if his emotions got away from him—obviously I’m not in his head—but it was interesting to see him kind of fumble with his words because he’s usually a really articulate guy. I don’t know if it was emotions or what, but it was interesting to see him be a little scatter-brained.

Then came Danny Seraphine, who’s the drummer that—basically he and Terry Kath and Walter Parazaider started the band back in ‘67, he got fired in 1990, and this was the first time that they’re playing together since. He gave his speech, which was the speech that you want to hear a guy say, like, “Hey, this was my ****ing band! And I haven’t played with these guys in 25 years.” At one point they told him to wrap it up, and he goes, “Oh, they’re telling me to wrap it up. Screw you! I’m not wrapping up. I’ve been waiting 25 years to say this ****ing speech.” So he gave a great speech, and he thanked all of the former members of Chicago, and the guys in the band were behind him. I obviously wasn’t close enough to see, but reports online were that the band didn’t look amused by Danny’s speech. I thought it was great. Then Terry Kath’s daughter—Terry Kath died in 1978, but his daughter was there to accept on his behalf, and she gave a nice speech.

And then they played. Here’s all I’ll say: Deep Purple was great, and Steve Miller was great, but when Chicago went into those first chords in “Saturday In The Park,” the place came alive. Everybody was on their feet. It seemed like a real heavy Chicago/Cheap Trick crowd. I did see a lot of Deep Purple shirts in the audience as well. But when Chicago started playing… it could have been because “Saturday In The Park” has one of the most recognizable opening bits and it’s a really fun number that makes you want to get on your feet. But it also was on the heels of the memorium, which is a bit of a downer. The venue became electric. You just felt more of a buzz in the room when Chicago started playing. They did three songs. Rob Thomas joined them on “Does Anybody Really Know What Time It Is?”

AVC: You said you were a little upset when Peter Cetera bailed. Do you think that their performance would have been more interesting if Peter Cetera had been there? Not that it wasn’t interesting to begin with.

JP: It would have been, because he hasn’t been with the band since 1985. So it would have been 31 years since he played with them. And I do think it’s what all the fans wanted. But I don’t know if it’s his fault, the band’s fault, the Hall’s fault, a combination of all three, as to why it didn’t happen.

By the way, they sounded great. As a guy that had seen them hundreds of times since 1981, they sounded great, like they had something to prove. “We’re not this ****ing ballad band, we’re a rock band with horns, and we’re going to prove it to you guys.” And they did that. They did “25 Or 6 To 4.” The guitar solo, Keith Howland, who’s been in the band for 20 years, he sounded great. But would it have been more exciting had Peter been there? Yes. I don’t want to act like I live in a bubble, but the news would be talking about it. If they would have sounded as great as they did that night, and had Peter there as well, I think it would have been something that the rock world would be discussing.

It was neat to see Danny up there again. I think after his speech, it will never happen again. I don’t think there’s any love between the two parties. And there certainly isn’t any more with Peter over the fact that he didn’t show up.

AVC: It’s nice that they could make it work with Danny for one night.

JP: It really was. And again, it was a moment where I’m glad that I didn’t walk away from coming to this event, because it was neat to experience this thing, this band that I’ve been following since I was a kid. To follow along with them their whole career and actually be there when they’re getting their induction, and being in the position to be able to do that, too, is pretty cool.

Lost In The Flood and Hep Alien like this.
  4. Finchingfield

Finchingfield Forum Resident

I wish they would have played Beginnings instead of Does Anybody Really Know What Time It Is...

AudiophilePhil and longdist01 like this.
  5. AudiophilePhil

I agree!

6. AudiophilePhil

Last edited: Apr 19, 2016
  7. longdist01

longdist01 Senior Member

Thanks for interview with Danny, nice to hear his "Good Feelings" from the Induction night.

bluejeanbaby and AudiophilePhil like this.
  8. AudiophilePhil

9. AudiophilePhil

10. AudiophilePhil

11. AudiophilePhil

12. AudiophilePhil

[​IMG]

With Steve Miller in Idaho before the interview for our local paper, The Mountain Express.The article should be in next Wednesdays paper and it will be the first and only one with us together talking about careers and the Hall Of Fame induction snafu’s…Bam

Hep Alien and Comet01 like this.
  13. videoman

videoman Senior Member

I guess that was interesting. But who the f' is Jimmy Pardo and why do we care what he thought of the induction ceremony?

14. Farmer Mike

Farmer Mike Forum Resident

Do they visit the same barber?

ARK, EdgardV and videoman like this.
  15. EdgardV

EdgardV ®

STEVE Miller & PETER Cetera

Twin Sons of Different Mothers

'

ARK and AudiophilePhil like this.
  16. MikeVielhaber

MikeVielhaber Forum Resident

tonyc likes this.
  17. videoman

videoman Senior Member

There goes the reunion tour....

18. AudiophilePhil

Peter Speaks:

April 28, 2016

Hello again!

Just did an exciting interview with fellow local Steve Miller. Two long time friends from the same small town, inducted into the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame the same year and with two strangely similar takes on the ceremonies…The first and only interview together will be in the Mountain Express, the local paper up here in Idaho next Wednesday…….

Hep Alien likes this.
  19. MikeVielhaber

MikeVielhaber Forum Resident

Watched the HBO broadcast. The band sounded pretty good. Better than usual. Danny played great and seemed to be giving everything he had into the performance. He was throwing in fills any place he wanted and it sounded really good.

Hep Alien and AudiophilePhil like this.
  20. Jbeck57143

Jbeck57143 Forum Resident

Here's a documentary from 1970:

Hep Alien, jlf and AudiophilePhil like this.
  21. Jbeck57143

Jbeck57143 Forum Resident

22. pool_of_tears

pool_of_tears Searching For Simplicity

Once upon a time, Peter was a really good bassist, singer and songwriter. I'm thinking of 1969-1977, as part of the original lineup. By the time David Foster became the producer for Chicago, Peter seemed to morph into a hack/pop star and less of an actual musician. And that's a shame. I sometimes wonder if Peter feels, in retrospect, he should've left after Terry Kath died.

AudiophilePhil likes this.
  23. AudiophilePhil

I found Danny's drum fills more interesting and more creative than Tris'.

zebop and longdist01 like this.
  24. Very likely. They both live in Ketchum, Idaho.

ARK likes this.
  25. zebop

zebop Well Known Stranger

Two of my school's gym teachers had haircuts like that. They were nice gals.

ARK, AudiophilePhil and JamesD1957 like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.