CHICAGO remasters Nov. 5

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Grant, Nov 6, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Ed Bishop

Ed Bishop Incredibly, I'm still here

What I wouldn't do if I were a Gort...:D FWIW, the old masters are still floating around as imports, so I've been told by a local Oz fan. Probably same sound as the domestics but, if so, that can't be bad, can it? Not that I've listened to Oz since my brother brought over that DVD concert thing months back...which I suffered through only because it was a customer copy and the guy claimed there were glitches in it(there weren't--he should've tried either cleaning his lens, the disc, or getting a better player).

ED:cool:

2. lukpac

lukpac Senior Member

No...while I'm not an Ozzy expert, I believe he was bitter about the original drum and bass players, and re-recorded the parts so they wouldn't be able to receive royalties. I don't think there was any legal reason why he couldn't issue the original versions, he just wanted to get back at those guys...

3. Grant

Grant Life is a rock, but the radio rolled me! Thread Starter

It was in reference to what TSmithPage stated. I like the second one. End Of Story.:rolleyes:

4. Ed Bishop

I hope that's not true, but it wouldn't surprise me, either....a shame, because my brother's a big Oz fan, and while Zappa was always cynical enough to pull something like that, you don't expect it of a guy who seems on the exterior so 'cool' as Oz. My brother even met him backstage a year or two ago, sharing brews with a bunch of fellow fans and he said Oz was just the most endearing and funny guy, which is the same impression his MTV series means to impart. A certain other influence involved, perhaps? Whatever, no way to treat people....

5. FatherMcKenzie

FatherMcKenzie Forum Resident

Well, whether it was Ozzy himself or Sharon, the story as Luke relates it here has been documented in various media publications...though for the life of me, I can't help you with the source(s).

Ozzy may be cool, but he and Sharon are no dummies when it comes to money and doing business can appear to be cruel especially if 'we' don't know the whole story.

6. Bill Pafford

Bill Pafford Hyperactive!

If what I have read in at least a couple issues of Goldmine magazine is true then I would have to say that Luke and Father Mc are correct. But didn't this start out as a Chicago thread?

7. TSmithPage

TSmithPage Ex Post Facto Member

Yeah, I'm trying to see how often one thread can get crapped on before it dies...:angel:

8. Bill Pafford

Todd, I gave my best attempt at reviewing these latest two remasters somewhere back on page 1, but it has been all Ozzy ever since.

9. Bill Pafford

I forgot to mention that I do feel partially responsible for the topic change. Sorry, no more Ozzy from me, I was just making a joke.

10. reidc

reidc Senior Member

I can understand the general "not rush out and buy these" attitude that you may notice here. If you were to look at this particular release as an isolated instance- you might be correct in raising that question.

However- look at the situation as a whole. This is the 6th and 7th release of the Chicago series by Rhino. Rhino's release have been rather well documented here on this board as being rather "thin" in the bottom end. It has also been documented rather well here about problems with EACH of the previous releases of CTA, Chicago II, III, V, and VI. Some issues are rather serious. Why should folks rush out and get the latest?

"Screw me once- shame on you. Screw me twice- Shame on ME!" I think most have already voted.

Even on the web site chicagotheband.com some of these issues have popped up.

Chris

11. lennonfan

lennonfan New Member

the quad 8-tracks of chicago stuff work best for me, so I haven't heard these remasters....I'll just wait for the DVD-As;)
    interesting that some of the most valuable chicago stuff out there are their quad 8 tapes.
    They sound great...of course hi-rez versions will likely blow them away, there is something truly authentic and outstanding about their sound.

12. peterC

peterC Aussie Addict

Pulled out my cheapo late 80s Columbia CD of Chicago V today. It was a budget line re-issue with only a single sheet booklet, picture on the front, tracklist on the back. No credits, nothing.

Sounds absolutely wonderful!

13. rjp

rjp Senior Member

grant,

i bought chicago VII & VIII last night and i am very pleased. there are 2 noticable change:

the one...two...count is gone from "ain't it blue" (no harm no foul on this one)

the false start at the beginning of "happy man" (about 13 sseconds) is gone.

they sound very nice to my ears,

the bonus traks on VIII are well done and the "byblos" reehearsal on VII is nothing special.

all in all: keepers!

renny

p.s. the old ones will be traded in.

14. TimM

TimM Senior Member

I bought the remasters of CTA and VI and thought they both sounded bad . VI in particular was horribly compressed. I gave up and dubbed my excellent vinyl copies of VII & VIII to CD-R.

15. reidc

reidc Senior Member

Hey Lennonfan!
    Right on about the Quads! I "found" II, VIII, and IX in DTS from Quad that sound real nice. They aren't the best in audiophile quality- but very good. The differences in mix are amazing. Now if I could just play them in my car!

Maybe 1 of these days I will find CTA, III, V, and VII!

Chris

16. reidc

reidc Senior Member

I have all of the original releases from the '80's including the real CHEEEPO "Collectors Series release of VIII. It sounds fine, as does 5, 6, and 7. The only new remaster I bought was II, and only then to try it out. I think my British LP from the early 70's sounds better.

17. Elegy

Elegy Forum Resident

I just got these today but let me give you a little background. My prior experience with Chicago was with Group Portrait and Chicago IX. That's it. This may come as a shock to some, but I have never listened to any other Chicago release in it's entirety. Also, I did purchase the other remasters, when they were first released.

Throwing the sonics aside, it has been a real pleasure for me to finally here these recordings. I was floored by VIII. From the opener "Anyway You Want" to the hard rockin' "Hideaway" to Kath's memorial to Hendrix "Oh, Thank You Great Spirit". Excellent! I could go on about the rest but suffice it to say, I am very pleased with these. Each filled with thier own surprises. It was nice to rediscover a band that has been around for some 35 years now.

18. Bill Pafford

Tim, I agree with you. CTA and VI are the two that I have the most trouble listening to. Some of the others have been quite good. III and VIII sound the best IMO. V and VI remastered came out on the same day and I bought them, and listened, and V does sound better. I got my copies of VII and VIII a few days early, so I have listened to them for several days now. I noticed right off the bat that I liked VIII better than VII. They both sound fine but VIII is more of an improvement over the last issue of the album. I can't hear much improvement in VII and that deletion of the false start in "Happy Man" is very noticeable. *Most* of the bonus tracks in this series have been interesting, especially if you are a Terry Kath fan.

19. Bill Pafford

Elegy, I am almost in the same boat as you. I listened to the singles while growing up. I eventually bought all the vinyl albums up through Hot Streets before losing interest and moving on. I managed to stay away from the earlier issue CD's, settling for the Group Portrait box.

When I heard that the catalog would be remastered from original master tapes, including bonus tracks when possible, I was glad that I waited. I have enjoyed these releases, and yes, putting sonics aside it has been a positive listening experience, rediscovering this great and diverse band. To enjoy an album like VIII more than ever before really says something for the timeless quality of this music.

20. TimM

TimM Senior Member

Bill, that is interesting input. I have always considered VIII to be one of their most overlooked albums, so maybe I will give these re-issues one more try. I would like to hear the bonus tracks anyway. Thanks

21. Ed Bishop

Like the Santana Quads, the Chicago SQ's are good fun, and the Q8's are very different from the original stereo, which is part of the fun....and their collector value on vinyl has gone up a bit, too. Hard to find these days...and I would advise everyone to keep their original Columbia CDs, for the moment...

22. Grant

Grant Life is a rock, but the radio rolled me! Thread Starter

I also grew up on the singles. My first exposure to Chicago album material was the Greatest Hits 8-track tape. Then I got the LP, which was actually worse! Then years later, I bought the CBS CTA CD. Then I bought the Group Portrait box, then I collected CBS VI and VIII. Somewhere in there, I bought the CBS Chicago II CD, and couldn't stand the sound.

23. Doug Hess Jr.

Doug Hess Jr. Senior Member

Hmmm....I have a Chicago Transit Authority SQ. It is opened and I believe I played 15 seconds of one track one time. Otherwise unplayed. Any idea on worth or anyone who might be interested in a trade?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.