Chicago stereo service - amazing job by Stereo Rehab!

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by McGuy, Feb 2, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. McGuy

McGuy All Mc, all the time... Thread Starter

Brought my McIntosh MR77 tuner in at around 1pm. Met with Casper - his shop is very cool and full of every imaginable gear. At 3:45pm I get an email that the tuner is done! crazy fast. I will pick it up tomorrow morning. So far I highly recommend this place

Hogues, Shel, Shawn and 5 others like this.
  2. asilker

asilker Forum Resident

I've used Casper for a few years now. His work is impeccable and he bumps new customers to the top of the queue.

Just so people's expectations are clear, if you are a return customer, you will usually be put in the typical line instead of bumped to the top. That's OK with me because the work is incredible :)

McGuy likes this.
  3. McGuy

ah! so that's the trick - hope he forgets me! this is what he did:
    McIntosh MR77 (#7Y43): service. Scale indicator lamp replaced (correct incandescent type installed); all front panel illumination, including both meters, replaced as complete set (incorrect LED lamps REMOVED); absent screws for lower glass support bracket installed (stainless steel); all pots and switches cleaned and rinsed; tuning capacitor shaft brushes surfaced and shaft oiled; all tuning string pulleys oiled; tuning knob front and rear shaft slips oiled (synthetic); dial aligned physically to index "0" with tuning capacitor fully closed; front end R.F. stage oscillator aligned to be linear with tuned frequency; I.F. stages peaked; discriminator transformer re-aligned; MPX decoder aligned for proper stereo delivery and suppression of pilot. All functions operating as designed. All original (and incorrect) components returned with unit.
    Product 1 year warranty on unit, including new illumination.

4. Wasatch

Wasatch Music Lover!

Cool, nice to have someone like that close by.

McGuy likes this.
  5. McGuy

just picked it up, looks a bit better and the new bulbs are much better than the LEDs someone put in there.

6. McGuy

Ok, I don't know what the hell he did but...I can now pick up stereo stations. My antenna, a magnum dynalab, is sitting INSIDE the house by a window. I'm sure with a yagi it would be better but so far, this is 100% better than before! crazy

Bubbamike and Old Rusty like this.
  7. Not seeing it on Google, is Chicago Stereo Service the name of the store?

8. McGuy

9. asilker

asilker Forum Resident

Yup also address: 1324 W Devon Ave, Chicago, IL 60660

I pastor a church on Devon about 2 blocks away. If any of you are dropping something off to Casper, let me buy you lunch while you're out

ghost rider, JNTEX and McGuy like this.
  10. Bathory

Bathory 30 yr Single Malt, not just for breakfast anymore

Huh. I will use them soon. I had a great experience out of rockford. Sounds classc shop.

But if j can shed 1.5 hrs drive time its a no brainer.
    I will bring in an old onkyo p-308 pre. And see what they can do. If j like......ill use again.

Personality and attitude given will be tested prior to work done.

11. SteevG

SteevG Forum Resident

I met Casper while buying a Sansui receiver he was selling about 6 years ago, knew nothing about his business up to that time. I've had him "undo" a couple of other peoples work and he's top-notch.

No need or desire to go anywhere else, Tube or SS.

12. McGuy

he definitely made comments about people having done "mods" to my tuner, kinda funny. He's a no-nonsense guy when it comes to that. and he's funny as hell.

SteevG likes this.
  13. hhjack

hhjack Forum Resident

So I take it you went on a Friday and picked it up on Saturday? His store only shows them being open to the public on those two days.

14. McGuy

actually, i took mine in on Friday around noon and it was ready by 3pm the same day! I don't believe that is usually the case but he did it for me quickly.

hhjack likes this.
  15. Hogues

Hogues Forum Resident

I've used him a couple of times and was very happy. He restored my fisher 500 and it sounds great. Tried another place first and I still have no idea what they did.

hhjack likes this.
  16. johnny q

johnny q Forum Resident

Man, do I wish I had a shop like this near me!

progrocker likes this.
  17. hhjack

hhjack Forum Resident

I'm planning on having Casper take a look at my Technics 1200. The anti skate has suddenly stopped working properly. Hopefully, it won't be a difficult fix.

18. McGuy

As long as you don't have McIntosh (which is all I have) he won't belittle your equipment :) the dude does have a gift though and very fast turnaround time for me - 3 hours on my tuner. but he might have just been trying to make a good impression since I was a Casper virgin on that one.

19. fritz7784

fritz7784 Forum Resident

He ragged on my Vinyl Nirvana Thorens pretty hard when I took it in. Did a very good job installing a new cart for me though.

JHC3, SandAndGlass and McGuy like this.
  20. Pizza

Pizza With extra pepperoni

You’re lucky to have a nice shop like that. I had a nightmare experience here in Cleveland. I don’t know why the place decided to play games with me but it was obvious they were having fun by the ever changing stories. The place was recommended too. Never going back. No clue where I will go next for service.

21. Dan C

Dan C Forum Fotographer

What I'd give to be near a shop like that.

I have a Sony tape deck that needs refurbishing and my vintage Yamaha integrated needs a complete overhaul, particularly after a lousy and overpriced "repair" I had done on it at a sketchy dump in Denver a couple years back.

I wish Stereo Rehab took shipped orders.

dan c

22. mvmaltese

mvmaltese Forum Resident

Casper @ StereoRehab is the absolute best. Integrity and talent that goes above and beyond expectation. Took my Marantz 2275 in a couple years ago and got the best service you could ask for. He even showed me how to make some of the repairs and explained the process. Great guy.

Hogues likes this.
  23. McGuy

He’s great. He just serviced my c28 and 2105 before I sold them. Perfect work.

Hogues likes this.
  24. TSWisla

TSWisla Forum Resident

A+, great guy, great service.

Hogues and McGuy like this.
  25. McGuy

Just saw Casper today socially. Fun dude. Crazy like us. Really crazy.

recstar24 likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.