Chicago V & VI

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by syogusr, Aug 20, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. syogusr

syogusr New Member Thread Starter

I see that these two are in jewel cases right off of the bat! Which of the 2 are forum members' favorite? I happen to give VI a slight edge, but I'd be interested in other peoples opinions.

2. TimM

TimM Senior Member

These are my two favorite Chicago albums beside CTA. I would also give a slight edge to VI, but not by much. "Something In This City" on VI is one of my all time favorites by them.

3. Grant

Grant Life is a rock, but the radio rolled me!

IV

The only track I don't care for is "In Terms Of Two". It seems too out of place on a Chcago album in 1973.

4. syogusr

Something I forgot to mention in my earlier post, anyone have any ideas why these are cheaper? List on these two is $11.98, whereas the first three were $17.98. Wouldn't jewel cases be cheaper to produce than digi-paks?

5. Grant

I hope you didn't pay $17.98 for the first ones!

I'm kind of wondering what the sales figures for the first three including the Vaery Best Of are.

On another note, in a current Billboard article on vinyl releases by audiophile companies, Rhino says they may release vinyl versions of the Chicago titles at some point.

Hey! I am now listening to V and I forgot all about this album! I do know it but have never owned it. This was played a lot in the high school bandroom.

6. peterC

peterC Aussie Addict

Only because they were single albums whereas the earlier ones weren't.

So if that little silver disc has more music on it you should pay more for it, right! ;)

7. Uncle Al

Uncle Al Senior Member

What happened to IV? Wasn't that the live Carnegie Hall concert? I know that the compilation disc was followed by CTA, II and III. Now we are discussing V and VI. No offense to those who appreciate the latter - but after the live lp - I kinda lost interest.

Is that live album on the schedule for a later date?

8. Grant

Someone on the ICE forum said that it was rescheduled for next year. Maybe they are trying to work on the sound.

9. Sckott

Sckott Hand Tighten Only.

The sound of Carnagie Hall on the Cds on the Chicago/Sony label sounded just like I remember the LP. The one thing missing from the set was the HUMONGOUS poster that came with the set, was not shrunken for the CD format. I remember getting this huge set as a kid; my 1st box set! The poster covered a wall, and then some. That's a wonderful set.

10. Uncle Al

Uncle Al Senior Member

Don't doubt they need to work on the sound - it is as wonky as II. If they need an x-tra year, so be it. If it sounds as bad as it always did - it's a waste of time.

11. Grant

Maybe they found some better tapes.

12. Dob

Dob New Member

I stuck around until Chicago VIII (IX was the greatest hits), but a lot of people bailed after Chicago II - or, more specifically, after side 4 of Chicago III. Kinda spun outta control there - especially the cut with all the traffic noise followed by the toilet flush. Ugh!

Chicago V is a great album (my third favorite after I and II), but the band didn't seem to be able to regain the momentum they lost. On the other hand, they really pushed it by releasing 10 LPs so quickly (3 double album sets followed by a four album live set).

13. Grant

We who are geared more towards AM radio or at least top 40, or who fall into the younger half of the baby boomers, like me, got into Chicago albums around the time of V. Before then I just knew the hits. I liked them until 1976, when *I* thought they ran out of steam.

14. Kevin Sypolt

Kevin Sypolt Senior Member

You and me both Grant! That said, I would rate VIII a notch or two below VII, which I simply adore. VII may have had a bit of filler, but I thought it was one of their more personable albums. Lots of story telling about loves lost, etc., which I thoroughly enjoyed listening to in my teenage years! Ahhh!

:love:

15. syogusr

That does make sense, I guess; but what DOESN'T make sense is that when a disc is, say 26-32 minutes, the price doesn't (in most cases) go down. I guess when it comes down to it, in the Chicago 'double the music' cases, it is just plain marketing;)

And, no I didn't pay $17.98, I would never pay list, unless it would happen to be, say a gold DCC or Mo-Fi, or the newer Mo-Fi SACD's, things like that. I paid $10.97 shipped for the Chicago's from DDCD.

16. peterC

peterC Aussie Addict

I pulled out my old V and VI CDs today and had a listen. They both sound very nice, especially VI.

I really don't see any reason to fork out for the Rhinos bearing in mind Rhino's performance on CTA and II (sic).

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.