Chico Breaks the Record! - longest continuous multi-act concert

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by chicofishhead, Apr 17, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. chicofishhead

chicofishhead Forum Resident Thread Starter

A few months ago, my friend Julian came up with this crazy idea to try to break the Guinness world record for the longest concert as one of his efforts to unite snd promote the musical community in this town. He rallied some people together, and found a bar, the Tackle Box, willing to host it, and it got going April 1st.

The record of 15 and a half days was recently set by a bar in Las Vegas that flew in performers to play.

Julian and company decided to attempt to practically double the record and fill the entire month of April with live music around the clock.

Guinness has some pretty stringent rules. You can only have 30 seconds between songs and five minutes between acts. There has to be two record-keepers plus a minimum of ten audience members at all times. You have to record the whole thing on video.

It has been so much fun. The whole community has come together and there is fun at the Tackle Box day and night. It's just a quick 1.3 mile jaunt from my house so I've been there lots of times. Sunday I went at 6 AM and there were a bunch of people hanging out in the parking lot, including a VW bus full of hippies. Inside there was easily double the minimum audience size.

Previous record holders have done it with all acoustic performers, but here in Chico a lot of the acts have been bands. In addition to the myriad of local performers that have participated, many touring acts have come over to the Tackle Box to play a set, often in the wee hours after their regular show. Some of the bands have been great, but I've seen some bad ones too.

Well, there has now been continuous music for 15 and a half days at the Tackle Box. But the clock only reads nine or days now, because on Monday the 6th the whole town lost power and despite the fact that the music didn't stop and generators restored the power right away, more than an hour of recordings were lost because the computer hadn't saved them. To be safe they reset the clock, so they will reach the new goal on the 21st.

The previous day, the video guy showed me how they were recording to a hard drive, and also archiving on Ustream as a backup. Apparently Ustream lost that segment of the recording too. Now they added a DVD recorder.

Whether or not the record is broken, it sure has been a great, fun time!

Stone Turntable likes this.
  2. gregorya

gregorya I approve of this message

Maybe they'll simultaneously set the record for the longest continuous use of washroom facilities at a concert... ;)

3. OnTheRoad

OnTheRoad Not of this world

You mean there's enough water out there ?

I immediately thought "Chico Hamilton" ! :D

[​IMG]

EVOLVIST likes this.
  4. Stone Turntable

Stone Turntable Independent Head

Thus further burnishing Chico's reputation as a world-class center of academic research and home of a famous "study hard, finish your homework, and go to bed earlyā€¯ school!

5. chicofishhead

The concert is still going strong!

6. analogmaniac

analogmaniac Senior Member

Wow. It IS a small world. Fancy finding another Chicoan here. :wave:

7. chicofishhead

A third Chicoan once posted here about the 70s band Hamlet.

The show is still happening. I'm going over for my lunch break to see Lazy Lester play.

They are planning to end it with a big jam tomorrow afternoon.

8. analogmaniac

analogmaniac Senior Member

What??!! THE Lazy Lester played here and I missed it?:eek:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.