Child Of My Kingdom - The "Official" Arthur Brown Thread - Album By Album

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Scope J, Oct 15, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Scope J

Scope J Senior Member Thread Starter

Seems to me the time is right
    for a proper thread for Arthur , what with the reissues
    of TCWOAB and the Kingdom Come albums , hoping
    to see Strangelands back in print as well .

Anyone pick up Devil's Grip/Give Him A Flower when
    it came out in '67 ?

The Crazy World Of Arthur Brown released September 1968

Prelude-Nightmare
    Fanfare-Fire Poem
    Fire
    Come And Buy
    Time
    Confusion

I Put A Spell On You
    Spontaneous Apple Creation
    Rest Cure
    I've Got Money
    Child Of My Kingdom

B side of Nightmare single : What's Happening
    (Music Man on UK first press

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

http://www.arthurbrownmusic.com/

ArpMoog likes this.
  2. george nadara

george nadara Forum Resident

3. Reader

Reader Senior Member

One of the greatest albums released in the last couple years of the 60s. One of the most unique albums ever released. I like it.

4. george nadara

One of the first twenty albums I ever purchased. Found a copy of the American psychedelic cover in the cutout bins circa 1970.

Time to mention the incomparable Vincent Crane...

5. keifspoon

keifspoon Senior Member

Definitely, he was one of a kind and had such a beautiful sound. Maybe it's time for an Atomic Rooster album thread....

6. Platterpus

Platterpus Senior Member

I would like to see a release of the rest of the Puddletown tapes. I remember reading an article/interview with Arthur Brown in Discoveries magazine back in the mid 90's and he said he wanted a complete release of these recordings. I read on the web somewhere that the late Drachen Theaker had the remaining tapes. Strangelands never gets old for me. In fact I like Strangelands a little more than the Crazy album. But I love it all. The other little side project from around this time "Rustic Hinge - Replicas" is great as well.

7. george nadara

Richie Unterberger's AMG biography of Arthur Brown says of Crane, he's "an organist who could best be described as Jimmy Smith on acid."

As for an Atomic Rooster album by album thread, who knows what to expect, but I really can't see much activity and enthusiasm. Generalized free-form band threads seem to be more popular, and there have been some about Atomic Rooster throughout the years.

8. george nadara

It is apparent that Brown studied philosophy at the university and not religion. The Illustrated Encyclopedia of Rock, first edition, has a better photograph of Brown on the cross...

Attached Files:

9. Mad shadows

Mad shadows Forum Resident

The Crazy World of Arthur Brown is one of the best and oddest album in my collection.

10. Scott in DC

Scott in DC Forum Resident

Arthur Brown

Can anyone shed light on the US pressings of The Crazy World of Arthur Brown? There is an Atlantic Records edition of this album (old style, blue with white stripe) and there is a Track Records release of this album which has a black label.

I have an Atlantic Records edition. Which of these is the original pressing?

Scott

11. george nadara

SD-8198 - The Crazy World of Arthur Brown - Arthur Brown [1968] (9-68, #7) There are two versions of this album, one has the new Atlantic label and logos on the cover, the other has Track record and logos on the cover, both were distributed by Atlantic, the release number SD-8198 is the same on both.

The following is a good site for Atlantic Records...http://www.bsnpubs.com/atlantic/atlantic81988305.html

At approximately SD-8199, at the end of 1968, Atlantic switched label designs

12. izgoblin

izgoblin Forum Resident

Love this album, although I suppose I really mostly love the suite on the first side. The second side kinda drops off in insanity and thus quality, IMO.

When I die, I might ask that the intro to "Nightmare" be played at my funeral on an endless loop just in case I might need a little help in getting the waterworks going. :)

13. Scope J

Anyone own the original
    mono ?
    Are there big differences ?

14. Mad shadows

Mad shadows Forum Resident

I found out that the British first press and the German first press uses the same stampers.
    I have both and they have identical dead wax. I found the sound of the two records to bee nearly identical.

15. Scope J

Just got an email from
    Esoteric , they are reissuing Strangelands ,
    hopefully with some tasty bonus tracks

16. seed_drill

seed_drill Senior Member

There are big enough differences on side 1 that Polydor included both on the cd version.

17. Scope J

Those are alt takes ,
    not the mono album versions

18. Platterpus

Platterpus Senior Member

I have Strangelands on Reckless which has some of the Rustic Hinge Replicas cuts as bonus tracks. You have to have the Reckless vinyl only release for the complete Rustic Hinge Replicas album. I'll be on the lookout for Esoteric's Strangelands reissue, but will only buy it if it contains more of the Puddletown tapes that have not seen release.

19. Urban Spaceman

Urban Spaceman Forum Eulipion

I actually do own an original uk mono Track LP. Unfortunately, it is not in the greatest condition (probably VG- at best). I would have to say, from what I can tell - the mix is probably a dedicated mono mix, but ultimately not that different from the stereo. The strings and horns are present (not like the alternate mono mixes featured on the CD reissue - hearing that for the first time was a real shocker!). My beat up original copy was, in fact, the first way I heard the record (I picked it up for cheap at a flea market as a kid). So when, years later I got a US stereo copy I was surprised to hear all that wide separation of the instruments! It would be nice to find a clean mono original, but I'm not holding my breath.
    I really like the idea of this thread since I'm a pretty avid fan of all things Arthur Brown. As for the first album - my two vinyl copies and the original Polydor CD are all I own. Are any other versions worth having? It is one of my all time favorite records - period!
    ------------ Chris

20. Scope J

How is the sound on the Touchwood '97 ?
    i just saw that this version has Devil's Grip/Give Him A Flower
    and What's Happening (mono)

21. Platterpus

Platterpus Senior Member

The sound is good to me. I can tell no difference in the sound of this CD compared to the 1991 Polydor issue. The non LP singles sound great as well.

Scope J likes this.
  22. Scope J

Thanks

23. Scope J

24. TommyTunes

TommyTunes Senior Member

Still have my US Track/Atlantic LP from when it came out. Recently I found a 1A UK Track original an item that I've been looking for for years. It had a copy of the German "Fire" 45 with the picture sleeve inside the cover:righton:.
    I wish I hadn't gotten rid of my original Polydor Kingsdom Come Lp back in the eighties.

He's been working with Hawkwind off and on over the last decade and still sounds good.

25. E.Baba

E.Baba Forum Resident

My record copy of Crazy World S/T is Dutch Polydor 2485 114.

Discogs just shows the 1968 release, but i don't think this is one.
    The record is very light-weight as is the cover. The back is not a paste-on. There is no barcode/upc. Label is the Polydor red, with white ouline 'box' across middle. Liner came with it was plain white paper with no hole in the middle.

Any ideas about an approx re(release) date for this ?

Are the Track Records originals thought to be better than reissues ?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.