Chimes At Midnight (Orson Welles) print found

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by sugarbuzz, Feb 28, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. sugarbuzz

sugarbuzz Forum Resident Thread Starter

slstokes2216 likes this.
  2. cathandler

cathandler Senior Member

Robert Harris said back in 2009 that the original elements exist and are in good condition.
    http://www.hometheaterforum.com/topic/278557-chimes-at-midnight/?p=3403720

Not really sure what this print's discovery means in terms of a high-quality release. There are issues with the audio in earlier releases and exhibitions, particularly the clarity and synchronization of dialogue. There is also the issue of Orson's daughter Beatrice, who is said to have no copyright interest in the film but has been enough of a pest to discourage a proper reissue.

3. Well that's not what she's saying now:
    Following digital screenings of the film at the Sedona Film Festival, Orson Welles' daughter Beatrice Welles revealed that a "major DVD/Blu-ray label is interested in releasing and restoring 'Chimes at Midnight.'" Let's make this happen.

From the link:

While she is not involved in the restoration or release, she has offered to do press and whatever is necessary to get the film out on home video. (A formal announcement has not been made, but we hope to have more details in the months ahead).

4. cathandler

cathandler Senior Member

We'll see what happens once it comes time to actually make a deal happen. RAH says that he's viewed a print of the film that addresses the longstanding audio problems, so that's encouraging. Fingers crossed all around...

5. stepeanut

stepeanut The gloves are off

I have a nice, clean French DVD, issued by Studio Canal around ten years ago and then quickly withdrawn, so good elements have been known to exist for a while. The problem is, this film has been mired up in legal wrangling for decades, and I don't see how the discovery of a new print changes the status quo.

Hopefully, one day sense will prevail and more people will get to see this wonderful film.

"Jesus, the days that we have seen!"

6. Yankee8156

Yankee8156 Senior Member

I saw some version of it about 7 or 8 years ago, but I'd be hard pressed to remember which one....possibly the Studio Canal DVD. It'd be great if we could get a more definitive version in the not-too-distant future.

7. The screenshots on that linked site look great! A Criterion blu-ray would be stunning.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.