Chinese company blatantly ripping off B&W

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by nelamvr6, Jan 17, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. nelamvr6

nelamvr6 Music Lover Thread Starter

I just saw this in the Inquirer.

In this world of lawsuits at the drop of a hat, how can these guys get away with this?

2. Ski Bum

Ski Bum Happy Audiophile

It is very difficult to enforce intellectual property rights against Chinese companies. This has been a longstanding matter of dispute between China and the US.

3. nelamvr6

nelamvr6 Music Lover Thread Starter

But this was being shown at CES!

4. Curiosity

Curiosity Just A Boy

Basically anyone can go ahead and do this but then that's when the affected party brings the legal action to seek redress for infringement of intellectual property rights and so on.

Now in the countries most of us come from, the minute you receive a request to cease production with a threat of subsequent action, the response would be to comply because taking action is fairly easy plus you have your legal advisers who would advise the same unless there some dispute over who had those rights which you intend to contest.

Elsewhere, this isn't so and some societies see imitation as flattery and you ought to feel honoured they imitated (what we call copied) your product.

It is presently a hot issue in the Pottery industry near where I live over here as well as in audio.

Regards,

5. jamesc

jamesc Senior Member

I have a hard time believing flattery is the driving force in this situation, regardless of societal differences. $$$ ;)

6. soundboy

soundboy Senior Member

The target customers are often those in the domestic market who has no idea who or what B&W is. Sony and JBL are also favorite victims of Chinese fake audio hardware.

7. Graham Start

Graham Start Forum Resident

Indeed. There's a Chinese company that makes mobile phones which are nearly-identical clones of Sony Ericsson's Walkman series. They vehemently denied accusations of ripping off SE, and "proved" this by pointing out that they didn't put SE's name on it.

8. Feisal K

Feisal K Forum Resident

interesting - they must manufacture a lot of speakers which find their way into white vans around the world ... http://www.forgings.com.tw/

9. Doug Sclar

Doug Sclar Forum Legend

A good friend just last night told me of a Chinese amp that uses 300B tubes, but that they are just for show and only have their filaments hooked up. Beneath the chasis is a solid state amp. :confused:

10. MichaelR

MichaelR New Member

Some Chinese stuff is crap, but you will find rubbish everywhere. There are quite a few "proper" Chinese audio makers - ie Jungson. There is something like 300,000 millionaires in China and there is a huge market for hi - end audio.

Their quality (at least the good stuff) is right up there with the best. Scary ??
    Exciting !!!

Michael

11. Claude

Claude Senior Member

I think it's actually quite funny that someone would copy the B&W Nautilus design, because the look is IMHO the worst aspect of these speakers (and the price of course).

These fakes come with attached driver "tails", which seem to serve no technical purpose (unlike with the original Nautislus design). Ridiculous! It's like a Porsche 911 replica with VW Beetle mechanics and interior.

12. coopmv

coopmv Newton 1/30/2001 - 8/31/2011

The same Chinese company that had pilfered router technologies from Cisco even produced an owners manual for one product that was word for word identical to the Cisco's manual. This company has now been chosen by British Telecom as one of its equipment suppliers. The US and EU are just paper tigers.

13. Vinyl-Addict

Vinyl-Addict Groovetracer Manufacturer

AFAIK, Cisco has most of their manufacturing done in China. I work with Cisco a lot and the engineers are worried because they now hear that their jobs will be in jeopardy because Cisco plans to outsource engineering to China as well as manufacturing.

14. coopmv

$1M is not what it used to be. I am sure a good number of our American forum members are also millionaires.

15. 8tracks

8tracks Forum Addict

OT: My favorite camera lens filters are made by B+W (Biermann and Weber, not Bowers & Wilkins) and there are floods of counterfeit filters on sale at eBay that sell for $15 (a third of what you'd spend from a low-price high-volume reputable camera shop) that come shipped from China. If it's the same company, maybe they'll get ambitious and start making faux BMW's.

16. coopmv

My buddy who trades rare coins on eBay told me bogus Morgan Dollars from China are traded on eBay from time to time. He spotted the problems in no time due to the misspells found on the coins.

17. You mean Huawei? The company that even forgot to change "Cisco" to "Huawei" in their manuals. or Chery who copied one of GM's Daewoo (Chevrolet Int'l) designs mm by mm for a China market model? The parts interchange.

18. coopmv

Exactly. Huawei was also founded by people with big connection to the military in that country.

19. LeeS

LeeS Music Fan

Chinese plants can make good quality gear now but the lack if IP enforcement is bad for us and ultimately the Chinese economy.

20. coopmv

One of more Chinese companies actually own KEF, Mission and Quad today.

21. MichaelR

MichaelR New Member

looking at some of the equipment in the public profiles, they would want to be !!!

22. adhoc

adhoc Gentlemen Prefer Stereo

What goes around, comes around. They (the counterfeiters) will get their comeuppance some day. :agree:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.