Chocolate Watch Band No Way Out on CD

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by PixieStix, Sep 1, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. PixieStix

PixieStix Forum Resident Thread Starter

Can someone tell me which sounds best of these 2 CD?
    I want to pick at least one of them up :)

No Way Out...Plus [
    Big Beat Records ‎– CDWIKD 118]

or Sundazed Music ‎– SC 6023

Both have extra Tracks.
    Wich is the better Sounding CD on the original album track linep?

2. Lucidae

Lucidae AAD

I haven't heard these CD's, but when it comes to Sundazed I buy with confidence, they never disappoint.

3. Chuckee

Chuckee Forum Resident

Just have the Sundazed, sounds great to me.

4. Platterpus

Platterpus Senior Member

They both sound fab. Get the Big Beat "No Way Out...Plus" CD for the mono mix of this album. The mono mix has some minor differences in sound and production compared to the stereo mix. Both are essential IMO.

BIG ED likes this.
  5. Stuggy

Stuggy Forum Resident

I have everything on Melts In your Brain Not On Your wrist myself.
    That separates the real band recordings from the one that recorded the tracks the lps were filled out with.
    2cd set - one real band , the other the fake one.

6. Platterpus

Platterpus Senior Member

The "Melts In your Brain Not On Your wrist" is the most complete set to gather the CWB catalog in one place. And the sound quality is great too. For completists like myself there are other older CD's that contain some tidbits of recorded material that are of interest to serious fans and a good companion to the "Melts" 2 CD compilation which is why I kept those older CD's. But for the average fan, the "Melts" set is more than enough CWB.

7. eelkiller

eelkiller One of the great unwashed

There were two Sundazed releases IIRC, one in 2012 in a digipak and a 1994 version in a jewel case.

8. Platterpus

Platterpus Senior Member

You are right. I have the 1994 CD's of all three titles. I don't have the 2012 issues of the first two albums.

9. eelkiller

The 2012 differs from the 1994 in some way, cannot recall.

10. Platterpus

Platterpus Senior Member

Wow. In what way? Anyone on the forum who knows the difference please let me know by reply in this thread or private message to me. Is the mastering different on the 2012 reissues compared to the 1994 reissues with the bonus tracks? If there is a mastering difference between these two Sundazed issues, I would like to know. If that's the case, I just may pick up the 2012 reissues after all.

If anyone here knows the difference between the mastering of the first two CWB albums between the 1994 Sundazed reissues and the 2012 Sundazed reissues I would be most curious to know. I'm a big fan of the CWB.

11. shutdown66

shutdown66 Forum Resident

Hi, do you have on your own or listen the first two CWB albums in original MONO vinyl?
    Are they true MONO mix or fold down stereo?
    Thanks

12. Platterpus

Platterpus Senior Member

No. I have no CWB on vinyl. All I have is the CD's. The first album is available in mono on the Big Beat - No Way Out CD. There are some subtle differences on some of the tracks like "Expo 2000" and "Gossamer Wings" and maybe some other tracks as well. I don't think it's a fold down. Someone else here may know better. This CD is an essential companion to the stereo mix IMO. The second album did get a mono release, but Alec Palao seemed to think it was just a fold down when I contacted him. Maybe it was a promo only mono release. I would still like to hear it though.

13. eelkiller

I am looking at both discs now, the 1994 has "remixes and mastering by Bob Irwin, final mastering by Chris Herles. The 10 track just has mastered by Bob Irwin.

Will run the 10 tracks common to both discs in EAC and report back. Or should I listen to them, NAH! Numbers mean more.

Platterpus likes this.
  14. Platterpus

Platterpus Senior Member

Thanks.

15. eelkiller

Ran them both and they are different, the 2012 are the original mixes, the difference on No Way Out is subtle but noticable. Both sound fantastic, waveforms are forum approved but.......

DR numbers 2012 - DR 10 :yikes: Should I sell it? :rant:
    1994 DR 12 :pineapple::goodie::bdance:

16. Platterpus

Platterpus Senior Member

Well that's interesting. So the 2012 issues weren't a recycle reissue of the 1994 versions. Bob went back to the tapes and did them over again. It would be cool to see the EAC value logs between the two issues to get a better perspective. The 2012 issues which are the "original mixes" are probably closest in sound to an original Tower LP which I have never heard.

17. eelkiller

I can provide the EAC logs if you want them. They will only confirm what I have said, they are not identical. Both 2012 discs are not remixes.

I knew there was a reason I bought them, I just needed to get the discs out to validate.. :)

1994 Sundazed

100, 96.4, 98.6, 100, 89.2, 100, 100, 100, 100, 100

2012 Sundazed

97, 92.5, 91.9, 96.6, 86.9, 87.7, 94.3, 95.5, 90.7, 92.8

Last edited: Sep 2, 2014
    Platterpus likes this.
  18. zongo

zongo Forum Resident

Hmmm - interesting. So the 1994 version is more maximized (has multiple titles hitting 100) but has higher DR number? Is that a normal state of affairs?

19. Platterpus

Platterpus Senior Member

Do you own both the 1994 and 2012 issues? If so, what's your opinion of the sound between the two? The reason I ask is the fact that I love this bands music and want to get CD's that are closest to the original vinyl. Plus they are limited edition as well and won't be around forever.

I love all my CWB CD's and would never part with them, but I don't want to miss out if these 2012 issues are truer to the original Tower vinyl.

20. BIG ED

BIG ED Forum Resident

Another "BIG BEAT" title [i think there are four "BIG BEAT" 'watch' ceedees] & another, mastered by, Nick Robbins "West Coast Garage" comp [thinking like 9 WC "BB" CD's].

Last edited: Sep 3, 2014
  21. Platterpus

Platterpus Senior Member

Does anyone else here have the 2012 Sundazed reissues of the first two CWB albums and also own the older 1994 Sundazed CD's as well as all the Big Beat CD's. Also if you own a Tower original vinyl of these two titles, how do they compare to all the CWB CD's released so far including the 2012 Sundazed reissues? I'm on the fence to get the 2012 Sundazed CD's but want some more feedback from other CWB fans and enthusiasts before I pull the trigger.

22. eelkiller

Tbe onlyknock i have against them is they are short and it could have been a two-fer. But they are reasonably priced so I have zero regrets purchasing them.

I should add they are in digipaks with tray, in case that is a dealbreaker.

23. mooseman

mooseman Forum Resident

Sundazed is really good. I would go with that one.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.