Choices, Choices, Choices Choosing between two amps

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by psychadelicfur, Sep 11, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. psychadelicfur

psychadelicfur New Member Thread Starter

Currently I have a Yaqin VK 2100 hybrid tube amp, a Cambridge Audio 551P pre amp, a Technics 1200 MKII with an ortofon Blue stylus and a pair of Kinima (not sure of model #) bookshelf speakers.
    I have an importunity to acquire a Carver 1090 Integrated Amp with a pair of Jamo (not sure again) floor standing speakers.

I like the Yaqin and it's warmth, but when I go to my brother's house the Carver sounds so powerful and clean. Anybody want to give me some advice with regards to which setup might be optimal for me? I could do away with pre amp if I go the Carver route as well.

I know its preference, but sometimes I need a little shove in the right direction.

Thanks in advance....

2. Hagstrom

Hagstrom Please stop calling them vinyls.

Let me get this out of the way first. I like to think of myself as the resident Carver guy here on SH. I love everything I've heard from Bob Carver and actively collect his creations.

The Carver 1090 is something I've wanted to use as a B-system. It looks cool, and by all accounts sounds great.

But ask yourself this. You seem to have all new components, one of those being a tube amp. Why go from new separates to a vintage integrated unit? The 1090 is fairly old at this point and may require recapping and the such.

Don't let that stop you though. I recently heard a Carver TFM35 that was completely overhauled and it was the best sounding thing I've ever heard.

3. psychadelicfur

I should've mentioned this in my original post, but it has been completely overhauled. My brother had it done a couple of months ago.

4. Hagstrom

Ah, a fully refurbed vintage Carver gets my vote, especially since you say it sounds better than your current system!

5. psychadelicfur

hooked up the Carver last night. It sounds great. Missing the warmth of the tubes but all in all sounds really pleasant. My Fleetwood Mac re-issue never sounded better. Noticed a reduced sibilance on songbird through the Carver as well.

6. Hagstrom

I'm glad you got it and that it sounds good.

7. adamdube

adamdube Forum Resident

Carver made some sweet stuff for sure.....love my AL III's!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.