Chris Bell (Big Star) Retrospective Release?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by funknik, Nov 28, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Rhett

Rhett Forum Resident

Now wait a second! What was the deal at the end of that video about a 2 disc I Am The Cosmos? We already got that a few years ago when Rhino released it. What does this 2CD I Am The Cosmos have on it that the 2CD Rhino release didn't?

Hep Alien likes this.
  2. Rhett

Rhett Forum Resident

6 Unreleased tracks on the Chirs Bell disc - sounds interesting for sure - gotta have that.

When is Another Time, Another Place & You going to make it's official digital debut?

Hep Alien likes this.
  3. timnor

timnor Forum Resident

Wow ! Complete Chris Bell 6 LP box set ! Reissue of I Am The Cosmos ! Great.

funknik, linclink and factory44 like this.
  4. crozcat

crozcat Forum Resident

Yes!
    ...though I´d prefer a 3-cd-set...:righton:

Hep Alien likes this.
  5. cranie

cranie Forum Resident

More like 15 years ago.

6. PancakeRecords

PancakeRecords Forum Resident

It was on the RSD Jesus Christ 10", which included a digital download.

7. Rhett

Rhett Forum Resident

Nope - 2009 2CD issued by Rhino! 8 years ago.

bleachershane likes this.
  8. Rhett

Rhett Forum Resident

That's mp3 download - while it's still digital - I was referring to a bonafide lossless version (digitally) on CD.

9. funknik

funknik He who feels it. Thread Starter

I just had a feeling something like this was in the works. Omnivore and Ardent seem to be very focused on clearing out and exposing the entire archive. This could not be more exciting. 6LP complete Chris Bell?!?!? Automatic purchase. Thanks very much!

10. Grunge Master

Grunge Master 8 Bit Enthusiast

Hep Alien and funknik like this.
  11. sixelsix

sixelsix Forum Resident

Knowing a little about Rich's background/interests and enthusiasm, I am sure this will be a read worthy of its subject.

Grunge Master likes this.
  12. MEMark

MEMark Forum Resident

funknik and Hep Alien like this.
  13. funknik

Nice to see a release date on this, but I'm holding out for the 6LP Box Set they mentioned, assuming they will use the same vinyl cut.

14. MEMark

MEMark Forum Resident

Agreed. Also, nice to see another resident of Portland, ME on here. Cheers!

funknik likes this.
  15. Myke

Myke Trying Not To Spook The Horse

The Complete to me, says the Looking Forward material would likely be included as well ?

16. Trashman

Trashman Forum Resident

I would assume so, since they are not offering a vinyl option for Looking Forward.

Myke likes this.
  17. funknik

I would assume its literally everything - Icewater, Rock City, et al

Hep Alien likes this.
  18. Myke

Which is why I'll wait for this, rather than buy the 2 CD set, and the new vinyl. My 2 disc Rhino will tide me over.

19. Myke

Changed my mind. Looking Forward is only $ 10.19, at Deep Discount, after using the 15% off code by noon Central, June 30th, 2017.

$25.00 orders have free shipping.

20. Kevin55

Kevin55 Forum Resident

Chris Bell - I Am The Cosmos (2CD) - Amazon.com Music

After co-founding Big Star, the world only received two tracks of new music from Chris Bell during his lifetime—a 1978 single on the Car Records label run by Chris Stamey (dB’s, Sneakers) titled “I Am The Cosmos” b/w ”You And Your Sister.” He would tragically be killed in a car accident later that same year. However, those were not the only tracks Bell had recorded in his post-Big Star years. In 1974–1975, Bell worked in the famed Château D’Hérouville near Paris, France, and later recorded at both Shoe Studios and Ardent Studios in Memphis. Some of that material arrived in 1992 as I Am The Cosmos to great acclaim. An expanded 2009 release nearly doubled the track listing, adding alternate mixes, as well as some of Bell’s pre-Big Star recordings. With those early recordings now taking their proper place on Looking Forward: The Roots Of Big Star (released by Omnivore in July, 2017), it is now time for the definitive version of I Am The Cosmos. In addition to the bonus material found on the 1992 release and 2009 reissue, this new 2-CD / Digital set adds 10 more tracks, 8 of which are previously unissued and 2 making their CD debut. The packaging contains updated liner notes from set co-producer Alec Palao as well as Bob Mehr and features previously unseen photographs. Also available the same day, the original 12 track “album”—first pressing on clear vinyl (with download card). All Chris Bell projects are being approved and overseen by Chris’ estate run by his brother, David. With renewed reverence for his work in Big Star, as well as a look back at his earlier work, and an upcoming biography from Rich Tupica, the stars have aligned. This expanded edition of I Am The Cosmos arrives at the perfect time for long-time fans, as well of those who are just discovering the magic of Chris Bell.

Electric Sydney likes this.
  21. Kevin55

Kevin55 Forum Resident

Disc: 1
    1. I Am The Cosmos
    2. Better Save Yourself
    3. Speed Of Sound
    4. Get Away
    5. You And Your Sister
    6. I Got Kinda Lost
    7. Look Up
    8. Make A Scene
    9. There Was A Light
    10. I Don't Know
    11. Fight At The Table
    12. Though I Know She Lies
    13. I Am The Cosmos
    14. You And Your Sister
    15. Look Up
    16. Untitled Acoustic Instrumental

Disc: 2
    1. I Am The Cosmos
    2. Better Save Yourself
    3. Speed Of Sound
    4. Get Away
    5. You And Your Sister
    6. Make A Scene
    7. Fight At The Table
    8. I Don?t Know
    9. Speed Of Sound
    10. Stay With Me
    11. In My Darkest Hour
    12. So Long Baby (aka Clacton Rag)
    13. Fight At The Table
    14. You And Your Sister
    15. Get Away
    16. Better Save Yourself
    17. I Am The Cosmos
    18. Untitled Electric Instrumental

22. RichC

RichC Forum Resident

Went ahead and PO'ed the single LP from Bullmoose.
    I love Chris Bell, but I don't need 6 LPs of outtakes.... Plus with my points I grabbed it for like $12 including shipping.

23. Braulio Acosta

Braulio Acosta Forum Resident

I wonder why they rearranged the order of the songs... Original album is 44 minutes (from "Cosmos" through "She Lies") long so there's 1 LP right there, maybe they'll spread these 2 discs to 3 LPs?

24. senseabove

senseabove Forum Resident

Has there been any more info on what will be in the 6LP box? I assume I Am the Cosmos (1LP) + Looking Forward (2LP) + the rest of the tracks on the deluxe I Am the Cosmos Omnivore CD?

And has there been any indication I've missed that the plain I Am the Cosmos LP release is limited? I don't want to miss it, but I'm curious to know the full box contents first...

25. Kevin55

Kevin55 Forum Resident

The track list is from Amazon, so it could very well be incorrect. That seems to happen a lot when the listing first shows up.

funknik likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.