Chris Bell (Big Star) Retrospective Release?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by funknik, Nov 28, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Keep us posted! :edthumbs:

2. funknik

funknik He who feels it. Thread Starter

My order from Amazon has yet to ship even though my order page still says “Arriving by 8PM today” - that would be a miracle.

I decided to pick up a copy at Bull Moose while I was getting my other Black Friday vinyl - $5 cheaper than Amazon, too. I’m listening to the Outtakes #2 disc right now and it is spectacular- amazing sound, great tracks. The guitar playing on the piano version of ‘I am the Cosmos’ is stunning. Really pleased with this set so far - I cannot wait to dig in further.

midniteinsanjuan likes this.
  3. CraigVC

CraigVC Senior Member

Care to trade situations? ;-)

My order was placed July 15th, yet as of 11 am Pacific today, status remains:

[​IMG]

(The "Total" of $6.16 is because I used a bunch of Amazon Gift Card credits toward this purchase.)

4. funknik

They just updated mine to Dec 21st. Going to cancel now. They “assured” me on Wed that I would have it today.

5. sharedon

sharedon Forum Zonophone

Mine updated to December 21st, also.

funknik likes this.
  6. Trashman

Trashman Forum Resident

Can you report on the sound quality of the Cosmos LP in the box set? I've been through three copies of the clear vinyl issue from a couple months ago and have yet to find a "good" one. (Omnivore even admitted in an e-mail to me that they had problems with this one, but claimed that good pressings exist.) On the first copy I had, "I Am The Cosmos" (the song) was plagued by loud static that broke through even during the loud passages. On the second and third copies, the problem was most noticeable on "Look Up." There must have been a pressing issue with the outer tracks being affected the most.

I have the 6LP box set on order with Amazon (delayed now until December 21). If the "Cosmos" LP in the box is also flawed, I might just give the whole thing a pass.

7. funknik

I didn’t have any problems with the clear one other than some minor intermittent crackle, but if I get around to playing the black one, I will let you know.

8. supermd

supermd Senior Member

Completely random: I saw a car the other day with a Big Star star on it. Kinda cool.

lightbulb and Galley like this.
  9. Trashman

Trashman Forum Resident

I see Omnivore is taking orders again for the 6 LP set on their website for $125.98. I almost pulled the trigger until I saw that the shipping price (to a USA address) would be another $20. No thanks.

I will check out Bull Moose on Monday to see if they still have some copies left. If not, maybe I'll wait until December 21 for Amazon to come through.

10. Trashman

Trashman Forum Resident

The cover for their first record is one of my all-time favorites. For many years, I told myself I was going to have the neon artwork replicated. So when Ardent Studios asked Ron Pekar (the artist who created the original sign) to make up about a dozen replicas, I had to get one. I don't know how many still exist, as several were destroyed when Ardent tried to send them through the mail. Mine is #9. The best part was picking it up at Ardent Studios in Memphis and having Jody Stephens hand it over (and give us a tour of the studios). A magical experience.

As you can see below, Ron did a magnificent job replicating his original neon. (This is my example.)

[​IMG]

11. noahjld

noahjld Der Wixxer

That is SO cool. I am extremely envious!!!!

12. funknik

I suspect Bull Moose will have some.

13. Barnabas Collins

Barnabas Collins Senior Member

Same here. I'll do as you do or wait until these show up on Discogs. That's what I ended up doing with the Big Star Third box set last year.

14. funknik

The box DOES weigh like 10lbs, but yeah, that’s ridiculous.

15. funknik

Man. Even having heard most (all?) of this music before, the sound here is pretty revelatory to me. Some of the alternate takes sound just incredible, no doubt due to the relatively unplayed condition of the tapes and exert mastering/cutting work — it really sounds like a labor of love.

coniferouspine likes this.
  16. Trashman

Trashman Forum Resident

Bull Moose made the box set available for online order, so I got it for $119 with free shipping. If anyone else is on the fence about it, it looks like they still have some available: Chris Bell - The Complete Chris Bell

Looks like I can cancel that Amazon pre-order. I also trust Bull Moose to use better packaging for shipping that Amazon will. The Bull Moose people know how to package records (from my experience, at least). With Amazon, it's a total crap shoot which underpaid warehouse worker will package your item (assuming it's not a robot).

Larry Loves LPs, sharedon and funknik like this.
  17. funknik

So, there are three tracks from the Rock City CD that are not included on this set (although there seems to be plenty of room for them), does anyone know why or what for?

Hep Alien likes this.
  18. Trashman

Trashman Forum Resident

All of the tracks credited to "Rock City" on the Rock City CD are included on the box set.

The tracks "Oh Babe" and "Try A Little Harder" are credited to Thomas Dean Eubanks (not Rock City) on the Rock City CD. Chris Bell doesn't appear on either of these tracks.

The third missing track "Feel" credited to Icewater is arguably a Big Star recording (just without Chilton present). I don't have the CD with me at the moment, but I believe that recording contains the basic tracks to what became the released version on #1 Record. I think perhaps a couple of overdubs were added and perhaps a new vocal recorded. But that recording belongs on a Big Star release, if anything.

19. Trashman

Trashman Forum Resident

20. funknik

Thanks for clearing that up - I had a feeling it was something like that.

Hep Alien likes this.
  21. Trashman

Trashman Forum Resident

Just listened to "Feel" by Icewater again. It is essentially as I remembered. It is basically the same instrumental track is the same as appears on #1 Record, just with a different mix and possibly a little additional guitar. Bell's lead vocals were re-done, with a slight change of lyrics. The backing vocals (the "ahhhhs") has also been brought up in the mix for the final version, though I suspect those have been re-recorded too, with Chilton involved. The early "Icewater" version was more recently included on the Nothing Can Hurt Me soundtrack released by Omnivore, though with a different mix. That might also explain why it wasn't included again on the Chris Bell box set.

Listening to the Keep Your Eye On The Sky box set, another version with a different vocal is available. In true Chris Bell fashion, the song went through many changes before it was considered ready.

Hep Alien likes this.
  22. sonofjim

sonofjim Senior Member

I went ahead and ordered this through Bull Moose. One seller on Discogs was cheaper but I’m not sure about shipping charges and I feel like Bull Moose is undoubtably a reputable seller.

23. Barnabas Collins

I was able to pick up a copy of the vinyl box at my local Bull Moose yesterday. Still haven't cracked the seal on it. :)

24. coniferouspine

coniferouspine Forum Resident

Finally got my shipping notice from my Omnivore pre-order last night. I actually took time to tidy up the current "now playing" shelf by my turntable to make room for its arrival. That's a major moment, for sure!

funknik likes this.
  25. Barnabas Collins

I've played the Cosmos LP as well as the "Looking Forward" LP. Cosmos is mostly quiet except for a couple of whooshes at the start of side 2. Looking Forward is pretty silent too. So far, I'm pleased.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.