Chris Cornell R.I.P. (1964-2017)

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Vinyl Addict, May 19, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Chrome_Head

Chrome_Head Planetary Resident

Gone Again was a great record.

Here's a wonderful song from the last SG album. This one was very rousing live in 2013.

Soundgarden - A Thousand Days Before

MikaelaArsenault likes this.
  2. SirMarc

SirMarc Forum Resident

Hands down my favorite Soundgarden tune. Damn he belts it out on that one

3. Platterpus

Platterpus Senior Member

I was quite shocked to hear the news of Chris Cornell's unexpected death. A terrible tragedy. I remember the music of Soundgarden quite well in my early days of working in music stores. My thoughts go out to his family during this most difficult time. Four highly acclaimed lead singers from the "big five" of grunge music are now deceased.:shake: RIP.

4. That's pretty good. Bonus points for tackling a song like that as a solo piece.

5. And emotionally regressed

6. amoergosum

amoergosum Forum Resident

...from the final show:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

7. FourWalledWorld

FourWalledWorld Forum Resident

Another great underrated track here:

I have no idea if this is legitimate or not but, upon the release of Out of Exile, I remember reading this was actually an old Soundgarden/Cornell song (originally from the mid-90s) that was reworked. Does anyone know if that is true or not?

8. Beatnik_Daddyo'73

Beatnik_Daddyo'73 Music Addiction Personified

...have been searching YouTube for performances, interviews etc. I can't believe all the conspiracy videos already out. Just bizarre stuff. Sad. :shake:

9. BillyMacQ

BillyMacQ Forum Resident

Beyond maddening that so many media outlets jumped on the "In My Time of Dying last song played by Soundgarden" #fakenews.
    Just flat out lazy journalism. It's all about clicks now. Credibility and factual verification be damned.

Love,
    Billy

10. mattdm11

mattdm11 Forum Resident

Audioslave - Yesterday to Tomorrow (Studio Version)

This is my lesser known Audioslave song I enjoy off of OOE.

11. DTK

DTK Forum Resident

Journalism, if you can call it that, is going down the tubes. It used to be a honourable profession.

12. FourWalledWorld

FourWalledWorld Forum Resident

It's a great album overall, IMO. The title track is a real favourite of mine too.
    I watched the Live in Cuba DVD over the weekend and it has some good versions of a number of tracks from it.

13. Beatnik_Daddyo'73

....private service held this Friday, 5/26. He'll be laid to rest at the Hollywood Forever Cemetary. Still can't believe he's gone. It's gonna be awhile until this fully sinks in.

npgchris likes this.
  14. Chrome_Head

So sad. Wonder why it's going to be the Hollywood Forever Cemetery? Doesn't the family reside in New York?

I finally got around to listening to the Echoes Of Miles Soundgarden compilation that came out a few years ago, the first disc at least. The set collects stray tracks, b-sides, covers and the like.

I'm always surprised by how much I like the early stuff--a few great songs here like "Heretic" and "Fresh Deadly Roses". Hard to believe some of this stuff dates back to the late 80's.

Some familiar tracks that appeared on comps and soundtracks and as b-sides over the years: "Show Me", "She Likes Surprises", "Black Rain". Good stuff.

15. dkmonroe

dkmonroe A completely self-taught idiot

Perhaps the Hollywood Forever cemetery has better security, and therefore less chance of Chris' grave coming to resemble Jim Morrison's.

16. Beatnik_Daddyo'73

Don't know.... I read Johnny Ramone is buried there as well though.

17. Beatnik_Daddyo'73

...my favorite track off King Animal

18. Chrome_Head

Great track--my favorites were this one, "Worse Dreams", "A Thousand Days Before" and "Blood On The Valley Floor".

19. JCRW

JCRW Forum Resident

My favorite Soundgarden tune... RIP Chris.

20. Vinyl Addict

Vinyl Addict Forum Resident Thread Starter

One of my favorites as well.

21. WilliamWes

WilliamWes Likes to sing along but he knows not what it means

I waited a long time to post on this thread or the other that's gone now and I've only heard a couple of songs since but maybe I'm still not ready. I want to say RIP, but I don't even know how much meaning that expression has anymore. Regardless, I've been a long time Soundgarden fan and I feel strange about the whole thing. I had seen Temple of the Dog in MSG in November and his voice wailed around that arena like perhaps nobody I've heard there. A tremendous voice and perhaps that tour got in his head some. Maybe he started feeling dark again. Whatever happened, I can't even write the title of my favorite Soundgarden song-the one from 1996 because it's too close to the new truth.

For anyone in the area, on Friday afternoon, his funeral site will be open to the public.

Cornell 'Outshined' just about every vocalist in grunge history and is easily a top all-time alternative rock vocalist. He will be missed.

22. Pelvis Ressley

Pelvis Ressley Down in the Jungle Room

Norah Jones paid tribute to Chris last night during her show at the Fox Theatre in Detroit.

23. Mainline461

Mainline461 Forum Resident

Saw him this weekend on the rebroadcast SNL, gave me chills, what a talent ... and what a loss.

Chrome_Head and MikaelaArsenault like this.
  24. FrixFrixFrix

FrixFrixFrix Senior Member

Really disappointed with the number of 'Black Hole Sun' tributes. Did the man only write one song? It's like playing 'Purple Rain' in tribute to Prince. Dig a little deeper.

25. Phillip Walch

Phillip Walch Forum Resident

They are showing their respects. That is enough, we know he was far more than one song but the fact that so many artists have shown the world how important they deemed Chris Cornell to be is enough.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.