Chris Pine out as Captain Kirk for new Star Trek movie. Really?

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by soundboy, Aug 11, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Erik Tracy

Erik Tracy Meet me at the Green Dragon for an ale

Once I figured this out during the movie I had a Ralphie/Christmas Story moment
    [​IMG]

dewey02 and dkmonroe like this.
  2. Encuentro

Encuentro Forum Resident

They weren’t wearing jet packs. They weren’t zipping around in the middle atmosphere. They dove straight down from the edge of the atmosphere whisch is scientifically accurate, as it's already happened right here in the real world. Felix Baumgartner jumped from the edge of space three years after Star Trek 2009 was released.

Last edited: Aug 14, 2018
  3. David Campbell

David Campbell Forum Resident

Yep. The back packs were parachutes. Futuristic parachutes, but parachutes all the same.

seed_drill, BeatleJWOL and Encuentro like this.
  4. HGN2001

HGN2001 Mystery picture member

The late, great Irwin Allen once argued that his series, THE TIME TUNNEL, shouldn't get bogged down in characterization and logic. He claimed it was a "running and jumping show".

I cringe when I watch these latter-day STAR TREK movies because I see them as mostly just that, running and jumping all over the place - through impossible spacecrafts, in planet atmospheres, on planet surfaces. Wherever the action is, there's more running and jumping.

Pete Puma and Deesky like this.
  5. Solitaire1

Solitaire1 Carpenters Fan

It depends on whether it is an actual alphabet (like ours) or is a syllabic writing system (like cuneiform) where each syllable in a language has a unique symbol. If it is like cuneiform then there would likely be several hundred characters.

However, considering the rate that we have been losing Enterprises (on average one every 10 years in viewer time, disregarding the ones destroyed in "Parallels" and "All Good Things..."), it is likely that we will reach the NCC-1701Z in the real world at around the year in the series that the NCC-1701 first appeared on Star Trek.

Of course, they could just go with the story numbering system used in classic Doctor Who. The first story was numbered "A", the second one "B" and so on. When they reached "Z" the next story was numbered "AA" then "BB." I checked Wikipedia and the last story of classic Doctor Who was numbered "7P".

So we could see the NCC-1701Z followed by the NCC-1701AA.

6. townsend

townsend Senior Member

According to Mr. Spock, the chances of Pine being recast as Captain Kirk are 99.999999876 to 1.

7. Encuentro

Encuentro Forum Resident

Al Kuenster and dkmonroe like this.
  8. Archguy

Archguy Forum Resident

If you're wondering how he eats and breathes, and other science facts,

9. Dillydipper

Dillydipper Space-Age luddite

MAN, I have a cup-size joke just sitting here, because only Kirk and McCoy would appreciate it...:hide:

10. dkmonroe

dkmonroe A completely self-taught idiot

He makes a good point.

Encuentro likes this.
  11. Paramount should watch what happened to Independence Day without one of the biggest star off the movie. With Will Smith I think the second Independence Day would have been a much different movie and not the mess it turned out being.
    As other forum member said before a great part of the new Star Trek success is the chemistry between the actors, Yedlin died, I don't think Paramount wants another member of the cast, and a paramount (!!!) one out.
    It's Paramount-Skydance the one who should be thinking about cutting their profits on Star Trek 4 and do a huge movie with the full cast being two of them bigger stars than when Nu-Trek started in 2009.
    I like the new Star Trek, specially S/T-2009 and Into Darkness, Beyond was entertaining and I expect something more than the last time, not something less. In addition to that even being 44 for me Chris Pine IS James Tiberius Kirk as I've always disliked William Shatner as an actor. The first time I saw Pine playing Kirk I thought "at least an actor who can play the role right".

12. Vidiot

Vidiot Now in 4K HDR!

The story in the trades is that Pine made a deal for several pictures and wants Paramount to honor their commitment to give him a raise on every picture. They're arguing that because the last couple of films didn't do as well as expected, they want him to take less money.

I think Chris Hemsworth makes a lot of money as Thor in the Marvel movies, and I would bet that he got a "most favored nations" policy on his paycheck, meaning that he would make as much money as Pine. (Shatner and Nimoy had a similar deal in their Star Trek feature films, and Deforest Kelley's deal was that he got half as much as they did, so they all did fairly well for 15 years.) If they cut Pine's paycheck, Hemsworth would suffer as well, so he was able to walk.

I think Paramount has a very difficult decision ahead. If I were the studio, I would say, "ya know, we already have the Discovery TV show, which is successful, and a new Star Trek show coming up with Patrick Stewart as Capt. Picard again, so maybe a new movie is not really necessary." But I tend to doubt either Pine or Hemsworth would be available for TV, because they're making too much money in film right now.

13. Encuentro

Encuentro Forum Resident

My understanding is that Paramount has the film rights, and CBS has the television rights. I’m not sure how that all works. I believe that CBS allows Paramount to make the films, but Paramount doesn’t get a cut of the television profits.

14. Vidiot

Vidiot Now in 4K HDR!

CBS = Viacom = Paramount. All one "happy" family.

There is currently a corporate struggle to try to divide the corporation up, because of the ill health of CEO Sumner Redstone, but a lot is up in the air -- partly because of the scandal surrounding CBS CEO Les Moonves, who was one of the heirs to Redstone's throne.

15. Paramount also isn't in the best of health as a studio. Realistically they would have to bring in a partner like Sky Dancer or another company to share production cost due to the expense of these movies. Star Trek Beyond reportedly cost much more than the $180 million budget (some speculate that it was as high as the actual profit once you combined the cancelled film, production, reshoots and the marketing for the film). Paramount needs to focus less on spectacle with the films and expensive effects and focus on the story, solid direction, etc. Each film grossed less than the previous film (as expenses went up as well). I personally think that Beyond was the worst of the lot--the direction was choppy and the story was so predictable (plus if the bad guy had all of those cool ships that could penetrate the Enterprise, WHY couldn't they just fly them in the Enterprise (and not destroy it) to take out the space station? The story logic was really weak for the film and I'm pretty forgiving if the film has me involved.

16. They don't share the profits for the action figures and other tie in productions nor do they share in the profitability of the films. CBS has the rights to original Trek, Next Gen and anything in the "main" timeline while Paramount has the rights to the Kelvin timeline and any products tied into that version of Trek. It's a Gordian knot and one I certainly wouldn't want to untangle!

Encuentro likes this.
  17. alexpop

alexpop Power pop + other bad habits....

Don't like the new Spock.

18. Vidiot

Vidiot Now in 4K HDR!

Sky Dance (no r) is actually David Ellison's company, so it's basically all financed from investments that stemmed from Oracle's Larry Ellison. They did co-finance Star Trek: Into Darkness and Star Trek: Beyond, but since the latter cost $185M and "only" made $343M, it did not make the massive profits they were hoping for. I think it was marginally profitable (as in barely breaking even), but not on the order of the previous Star Trek film and similar action films like the DC Comics, Star Wars, and Marvel movies.

Word on the street is that Viacom may divest CBS, Paramount, and Viacom into separate entities, now that Les Moonves is out of the picture and the company is controlled mostly by Sumner Redstone's family. It's fair to say that Paramount is in a state of flux. I read an interesting article the other day that said that Paramount had lost $455 million during Brad Grey's regime there, and that included the Star Trek films:

Paramount looks to Disney model to recover after string of flops

That's a pretty huge disaster, but it's going to take considerable money and somebody with a lot of power and chutzpah to raise that sinking ship. I think they're going to hesitate before putting another $200M in a film that might not even break even. It makes more sense from a financial point of view to put that money towards another TV series.

wayneklein, IronWaffle and kouzie like this.
  19. luckybaer

luckybaer Thinks The Devil actually beat Johnny

20. Agreed and to do so with a series for the struggling CBS All Access (where they could also sell the series oversea to a partner)would make sense. Not a big fan of Ellison who is an example of a child of privilege that knows nothing about storytelling and very little beyond financing a film when it comes to creative decisions but unfortunately it will take someone like that to help co-produce ventures going forward for Paramount or partnering with overseas investments like theChinese to keep them afloat. I don’t know that the Disney model will work for Paramount but I’d rather see it succeed than fail as a whole lot of folks would be put out of work. Guess I confused Skydance with Skywalker.

The Last Trek film was a disaster IMHO. I was pretty forgiving with the rip off of Khan for the second film Into Darkness but felt they could have told just as good a story without Cumberbatch playing Khan (the story was interesting enough they could have plugged a new characteristic there and avoided trading On the second film and making most fans irate. Never bothered me though as, if they had used an actor of color, I think it would have given away the mystery even more rapidly but, if they could have gotten. I do find it funny though that it was ok for the terrific Richardo Montelban to play an Indian even thoa th he was Hispanic while having Cumberbatch playing the character was offensive. Yes, I get he wasn’t of color but I always go with the best actor to play the role and think that the whitewashing nonsense on both sides of the issue has got to stop) and would have opened in the story for a new, complex villain that could exist in the Kelvin universe and be brought back.

I’m sure that Paramount could try to negotiate a salary reduction for both with back end profit points (gross not netmind you) and a slice of the marketing tie in profits but the. They might have to do the same with the other players as the main actors (four of the main characters areessential based on the reboot) that will probably having a matching clause put into their contracts.

Last edited: Sep 19, 2018
    Vidiot and Encuentro like this.
  21. That’s the case unless they do an inexpensive relaunch with new characters in the Trek universe.

22. I agree. I’ve never felt that Trek needed to one their old episodes for story ideas. A passing reference is fine but anything else is a waste of potential.

dkmonroe likes this.
  23. David Campbell

David Campbell Forum Resident

If Cumberbatch had played a different character than Khan, perhaps one of the other genetic supermen in Khan's crew rather than Khan himself, i think the film would have worked much better. It might have been a nice twist that would have referenced the past without doing an outright remake.

I liked Beyond at the time, but it feels very rote ultimately. I liked the character interactions though.

Of the three reboot movies 09 is still the best.

Vidiot and IronWaffle like this.
  24. Encuentro

Encuentro Forum Resident

Cumberbatch as Jon Harrison and only Jon Harrison, a genetically-engineered product of Section 31, would have been perfect and would have avoided all of the complaints that overshadowed the post-9/11 allegory.

wayneklein and IronWaffle like this.
  25. Vidiot

Vidiot Now in 4K HDR!

Khan's full name was Khan Noonien Singh, and Singh is a very common name in India. So you wonder why a Hispanic actor was playing an Indian guy.

It's hard to do that unless the studio is willing to open the books and let the actors' representatives examine what the real profit & loss situation is. There are not many actors that get a percentage of "the unadjusted rolling gross from dollar one," like the profit participation of Tom Cruise. Very, very few actors earn this kind of paycheck.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.