Chris Robinson Brotherhood - Anyway You Love, We Know How You Feel (2016)

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Graham, May 6, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Graham

Graham Senior Member Thread Starter

Fourth studio album from the CRB coming in late July.

The new track sounds like the Jerry Garcia Band circa Cats Under The Stars crossed with Bobby Womack and sounds much better to my ears than Phosphorescent Harvest, which I liked, but felt a bit like treading water at times.

New bassist announced too.

LISTEN TO THE SONG HERE: Narcissus Soaking Wet »

From Jambase:

On July 29, the Chris Robinson Brotherhood will release their fourth studio album, Anyway You Love, We Know How You Feel, via Robinson’s Silver Arrow Records imprint. The band recorded the LP in northern California on the side of a mountain overlooking the Pacific Ocean and the album includes eight tracks that are said to channel the natural majesty of the CRB’s surroundings.

“It was an opportunity to see where our expression could take us. For us, when it comes to making records, the looser it gets the better,” said Robinson in a statement announcing the album. “It’s all about taking our intuition and following it to where our ideas can really manifest themselves. This turned out to be the most spontaneous record I’ve ever been a part of.” Anyway You Love, We Know How You Feel marks the CRB’s first recordings with new drummer Tony Leone and the first time the band produced themselves.

The group came into the sessions with ideas but not finished songs as they had in the past. “All it takes is one good, small idea, and then if everyone’s focused and in the moment, a few hours later, you can have something that you realize you’ll be playing for as long as you’re making music,” Robinson continued. “I think when everyone’s aware that that’s the sort of magic that we’re looking for. More than any other session that I’ve ever been a part of, that’s how all of these songs were done.”

Chris and the band recently debuted a number of the tracks from the LP at live shows on the West Coast including “Leave My Guitar Alone,” “California Hymn” and “Narcissus Soaking Wet,” a song co-written by Robinson and keyboardist Adam MacDougall that serves as the album’s first single. Listen to “Narcissus Soaking Wet”.

The Chris Robinson Brotherhood have a busy summer planned of festival appearances and headlining dates. Robinson and his mates have also announced the addition of bassist Jeff Hill (Larry Campbell, Shooter Jennings) to their lineup.

head_unit, NorCal, Santo10 and 8 others like this.
  2. spaulding

spaulding Hoi Polloi

Thanks for the heads up -
    the Robinson brothers go toe to toe with new releases this summer.
    Game on.

Edit: and that track is awesome - can't wait to hear more.

3. #OneOccupation

#OneOccupation Well-Known Member

Hell yeah I cant wait to hear the album

rstamberg likes this.
  4. Graham

More new songs in this gig, which can be listened to in its entirety. The opener, Leave My Guitar Alone, is a scorcher...

5. Matthew Tate

Matthew Tate Forum Resident

awesome and a new rich album

6. Further

Further Forum Resident

Looking forward to it, as always but the title of the album should read Any Way You Love, We Know How You Feel. Anyway as one word doesn't make sense. I've seen it printed that way everywhere and it bugs me. I wonder if they know it's a mistake.

supernaut, karmaman and violetvinyl like this.
  7. #OneOccupation

I was at the Eugene show on the 17th and the new tunes were great for sure

Fullbug, NorCal and LUNACHUCK like this.
  8. gudnoyez

gudnoyez Forum Resident

Phosphorescent Harvest was hit and miss for me. I rarely listen to it perhaps I should give it another listen, I will probably get the new one.

LUNACHUCK likes this.
  9. jammincrowe

jammincrowe Forum Resident

Not loving the new tune. I don't prefer this style for Chris but more specifically I no longer hear his sound evolving album to album. Disappointing.

10. #OneOccupation

I dont hear anything on the last album that sounds like Narcisuss- it sounds to me like the jams on Circles Around the Sun,

Bonddm and LUNACHUCK like this.
  11. PoeRaider

PoeRaider Forum Resident

Thanks for the heads up on this, Chris has yet to disappoint me.

12. LUNACHUCK

LUNACHUCK Forum Resident

I was saying this same thing last night. That's exactly what it sounds like. I liked "Circles" a lot though so I'm not saying that's bad.

#OneOccupation likes this.
  13. JamieLang

JamieLang Forum Resident

I didn't like PH much....but, I dig the new tune. The first thing I thought was "did they get a new bass player?"....apparently, yes.

14. Further

Further Forum Resident

I like it. First thing I noticed is that the sound of the mix is miles better than their previous albums. It's especially nice to finally hear the bass turned up in the mix where it should be, something sorely lacking on the first few albums. If this is what happens when they produce themselves, they should stick with it from here on out.

Hopefully, this one gets a good quality pressing the first time around.

15. Bonddm

Bonddm Forum Resident

Yes, but the departing Muddy Dutton plays on the new album.

16. Graham

No, he doesn't. The album was recorded as a four-piece, I believe.

#OneOccupation likes this.
  17. Who'sTommy

Who'sTommy Forum Resident

Looking forward to it. Bought some Raven Reels recordings of the recent shows, to hear the new songs.

NorCal and full moon like this.
  18. JamieLang

JamieLang Forum Resident

Interesting.

19. Further

Further Forum Resident

I was under the impression that Muddy played on the album, as well. When they were first heading into the studio for this record, he was still with the band and this was a few months before he announced he was leaving.

On the other hand, in a recent interview Chris said that they had decided to forge ahead and do the new album as a 4 piece. So, if that's the case, who is playing bass? The artwork only shows the 4 of them and I would think if Muddy did indeed play on the album, he would be pictured as well, seeing he was still in the band at that point. So, it's either Neal or an as yet uncredited session player. I guess we'll have to wait for the credits to find out, unless someone gets the inside scoop.

20. Almost Simon

Almost Simon Forum Resident

Can't imagine they'd record the album without the old bass player but then go out on tour with him.

Good to see a new album, I did like the last album a lot, possibly the one CRB album I listen to the most.

21. Graham

Right, but I think that's what happened. He left because he wanted to stop touring so much. Guess he gave lots of notice and agreed to play Europe in February and March.

I could be wrong but I'm sure I read Muddy wasn't there. And all the pics during the sessions posted on Instagram etc didn't feature him.

22. Almost Simon

Just listening to Narcissus Soaking Wet for the first time. Sunday morning, hottest day of the year so far in UK, mid 20s temperature, this song is a perfect fit. Loving it!! :cool:

supernaut and #OneOccupation like this.
  23. rstamberg

rstamberg Senior Member

I'm in. Again.

Clanceman likes this.
  24. Bonddm

Bonddm Forum Resident

I'm still trying to work out how this song didn't make the cut on the CD version of Phosphorescent Harvest.

25. Almost Simon

Never heard this one before. The link didn't work but I checked and there's a version by Chris Robinson's Wooden Family?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.