Chris Robinson Brotherhood - Barefoot in the Head

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by LUNACHUCK, Apr 10, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. rstamberg

rstamberg Senior Member

Pre-ordered!

Jack and LUNACHUCK like this.
  2. Almost Simon

Almost Simon Forum Resident

LUNACHUCK likes this.
  3. Almost Simon

Not too bad, not quite as instant as Narcissus but pretty good. I can see that one growing on me with those chorus backing vocals.

LUNACHUCK likes this.
  4. JPJs Bass Guitar

JPJs Bass Guitar Forum Resident

Haven't seen a UK link yet, but I've had no trouble (weird packaging aside) with Amazon.com so I've ordered from there.

Same with Magpie Salute, but I haven't pulled the trigger on that one yet ...

LUNACHUCK likes this.
  5. Almost Simon

Might just go for US again, despite the packaging. Although I would prefer to wait and see what price amazon.uk and possibly cd wow goes for.

LUNACHUCK likes this.
  6. NorCal

NorCal Forum Resident

Pre-ordered. Thanks for the heads up!

LUNACHUCK likes this.
  7. tak_a_tak

tak_a_tak Active Member

Man, looking forward to this!

LUNACHUCK and Matthew Tate like this.
  8. Graham

Graham Senior Member

9. Almost Simon

LUNACHUCK likes this.
  10. Graham

Graham Senior Member

No, I ordered from Amazon UK where it's currently £26 - hoping price will drop though. It's cheaper there than ordering at Amazon US and paying postage and customs.

LUNACHUCK and Almost Simon like this.
  11. Almost Simon

Cheers Graham, just pre-ordered. It wasn't up last time i looked on the UK site.

LUNACHUCK likes this.
  12. LUNACHUCK

LUNACHUCK Forum Resident Thread Starter

It's a different song, correct. But a wonderful and truly cosmic concoction nonetheless. This is album is going to convert those "on the fence" and for my other fellow die-hard Freaks it's going to be you favorite album so for. I truly feel that way. Not a single lackluster track in the mix. I don't want to talk out of class but I'll just say this, "Hark, The Herald Hermit Speaks" is THE one! Maybe CR's best lyrical composition in the context of the Brotherhood and as Dylan as anything they've ever done. A big Basement Tapes feel to a lot of this album.

erikullvin, Bonddm, budwhite and 4 others like this.
  13. Rockin' Robby

Rockin' Robby Gettin' down so low I'm below ground!

Does anybody have any info on the vinyl versions of CRB releases? I have always picked up the CDs. Does the vinyl offer different mastering from the CDs?
    Will Barefoot be a 33rpm?
    Thanks for any insight anybody can help with!

14. tlake6659

tlake6659 Senior Member

The vinyl seem to be more dynamic and a better choice than the CD releases if you get a good pressing.

15. Rockin' Robby

Rockin' Robby Gettin' down so low I'm below ground!

Thanks! Better dynamic range is what I am after. How do you know this? I had inferred from previous liner notes that vinyl mastering was same as CD.
    Does anybody know if the record will be a 33rpm? Will it be released to Tidal?

16. LUNACHUCK

LUNACHUCK Forum Resident Thread Starter

17. budwhite

budwhite Climb the mountains and get their good tidings.

Great news!

LUNACHUCK likes this.
  18. Graham

Graham Senior Member

Bonddm likes this.
  19. Graham

Graham Senior Member

Bonddm likes this.
  20. Bonddm

Bonddm Forum Resident

budwhite likes this.
  21. Erik B.

Erik B. Fight the Power

Anyone listened yet ?Mine just showed up this morning. Waiting for Phish to end before I crack it open.

thewho and Matthew Tate like this.
  22. Gammondorf

Gammondorf Forum Resident

After a few times through I find "Barefoot in the Head" to be another disappointing release from the CRB. "If You Had a Heart to Break" is the only legitimately great song. There are tons of wonderful musical moments throughout - too many to count - but the songs fall short. I attribute this to two factors: song construction and writing chemistry.

The Black Crowes wrote and played constructed songs that they jammed out. They were a rock band that jammed, not a jam band. The CRB seems to work in reverse - they build songs around ideas discovered in jams. Add to it their desire to experiment and you're left with songs that have too many ideas and not enough structure.

Neal Casal, who is truly a talented guitar player, doesn't provide the same counter-point to CR that Rich Robinson did in the Crowes. Rich would create these monster riffs/hooks that Chris arranged into songs and added melodies. The "airiness" of Chris was balanced by the "earthiness" of Rich. They complemented each other perfectly. Neal is a tasteful lead player, who has a beautiful tone and a wonderful sense of space and timing, but he doesn't lay down the rhythms that Rich did. Chris and Neal are too similar, they don't balance each other out enough.

I much preferred the original CRB because they were providing a psychedelic interpretation of unique covers and older Chris material. Ever since Neal and Chris started writing together the quality of the songs has decreased. Chris's lyrics have largely devolved into self-parody with his ceaseless embrace of his uber-hippie persona. I miss the angry young man who wrote pure poetry, raw and authentic.

It's hard to believe that The Magpie Salute is actually a better band than CRB at this point, but Rich was always underrated as a player and his inter-weaving with Marc Ford was the defining quality of the golden age of 92-97. Marc is playing well but he looks sick again which worries me about the potential future for the Crowes. We've already lost Eddie and time is growing shorter.

I just wish Chris could put his ego aside, understand the value that Rich brings, and get the band back together. The brothers' solo material is fine. They're both talented musicians. But The Black Crowes are just magical. They were starting to get somewhere again with Before the Frost. Add Marc in, write songs together and be the best rock and roll band in the world again.

23. john beacham

john beacham Forum Resident

Somewhat disappointing review. I am planning to get the vinyl this weekend, anyway. I like the handful of tracks Ive heard on YOU TUBE so far. I have dug every CRB release from the beginning, and caught their live show, when they pass through every fall. I was a bit let down by 'Anyway You Love' at first, but it has grown on me over time.

24. thewho

thewho Forum Resident

Did the same! I'm digging it, I like the stripped down sound they've moved to. Love Adam's piano playing and this is really their first album that showcases it over synth stuff. Chris sounds really strong but Neal's playing is just something else (I just wish he could have doubled up and kept with the HWA!).

Bonddm, LUNACHUCK, Mad Dog and 4 others like this.
  25. Desolation Row

Desolation Row Forum Resident

I love it! I need to keep listening, but I could see Barefoot... becoming my second favorite CRB album, behind The Phosphorescent Harvest. The vinyl sounds beautiful. This is their best sounding release to date. And I was surprised and delighted to see it's two discs at 45rpm. I really like the artwork, and it comes with a cool poster. The three pre-release singles are among my favorites on the album. So, my only regret is that I was already hip to my favorite cuts. But She Shares My Blanket, Glow, and Blonde Light of Morning are moving up alongside them. I like this so much more than AWYLWKHYF. Barefoot is a refreshing change of pace. Only disappointment is that there is no digital download code with the vinyl.

The Black Crowes are my all-time favorite group. But I do love the CRB. They're a fun band to follow. I appreciate the group's prolificacy.

I'd be so thrilled to see CR do a solo tour, building on his three recent solo sets in CA.

Bonddm, LUNACHUCK, Mad Dog and 4 others like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.