Chris Robinson's new Black Crowes project

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by cable hogue, Nov 13, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. SonicBob

SonicBob Forum Resident

Thanks a bunch for sharing this! I'm catching the last gig in Atlantic City on Friday and can't wait to see two of my favorite guitarists' together. I've been a Crowes fan since Southern Harmony and have endured the various changes the Brothers went through within the band, but ultimately, it was always best when Marc and Ed were involved. As far as the "Crowe Flies" Thing that Chris is supposedly going to do, considering the bad blood between he and Rich, it isn't surprising that this was coming. At the same time, I think it's a bit ridiculous to have split factions, but honestly, I'm much more pumped and partial to what Magpie has done and will continue to do in the future. I would love to see the hatchet buried between the Brothers Robinson and have Steve Gorman return, ideally, but realistically, this is what has to be accepted. Chris is a flake and while I used to really have a lot of adulation and respect for him as an artist, within the last several years, the tables have turned and Rich is really in a better place musically for what I enjoy most, concerning Black Crowes related music and that includes Marc as well.

Rhett, Hep Alien and LarryP like this.
  2. cable hogue

cable hogue Forum Resident Thread Starter

He's not my favorite Crowes lead player by any means (Paul Stacey's my second favorite) but Audley wasn't the problem imo. If Chris is going to go ahead with this project, he could do worse than Audley.

They didn't play to his strengths--the guy is a fantastic blues and country/roots player--and they hardly let him contribute to anything in the studio. A few BB King licks on Ozone Mama and some pedal steel-ish fills on Cosmic Friend. Nice use of the second guitar, fellas.

Audley was the right player at the wrong time. Look who's he played with throughout the years--everyone from Sheryl Crow to Larry Graham. '98-'01 Crowes were played way too fast (cocaine) and Rich was obnoxiously loud. The 2001 live record is awful. With the right mix of ingredients, he could've thrived in the Crowes.

I don't think there's anyone associated with TBC who doesn't look at the '98-01 era (sans the Page shows) with a lot of regret.

Audley does play a little too much speed metal for my ears at times, but that bothered me more when he was in New Earth Mud in 2004.

And he was key in making the shows with Jimmy Page shows work as well as they did with the three guitarists.

3. GuidedByJonO)))

GuidedByJonO))) Forum Resident

Oh, apparently that video confirms it's definitely CR? I'm at work and can't watch YouTube, I'll have to check it out tonight.

4. Arkay_East

Arkay_East Forum Resident

Jeez there are some hard feelings in this thread. I wish them both luck.

5. cable hogue

cable hogue Forum Resident Thread Starter

Yup. Rich seemed surprised word had leaked. I felt a little bad for him. He wished his brother well, but not before pointing out the hypocrisy. And mic dropped by saying, "I've got Marc Ford."

Lambert75, NorCal, Further and 3 others like this.
  6. WarEagleRK

WarEagleRK Forum Resident

I don't see a problem with his vocals in the North Mississippi All Stars, just found it odd that he was the only one on stage without a mic during their live shows.

Lambert75 and Matthew Tate like this.
  7. WarEagleRK

WarEagleRK Forum Resident

Audley's biggest sin is that he was the guy who replaced Marc Ford. The combo of Audley Freed And Jack Pearson on the Gregg Allman tribute show from the Fox Theatre from a couple of years ago was great.

8. Bonddm

Bonddm Forum Resident

Chris does OK here.

thxphotog likes this.
  9. walrus

walrus Staring into nothing

I really do think it's a cash grab, and bet virtually all of the gigs will be festivals. Chris isn't the type to be forced into anything against his will, but quick and easy cash can get people to do all kinds of things. He's put a lot into CRB, but it doesn't seem like it'd be financially all that sound, especially for a guy previously used to living a pretty decent life (financially) when the Crowes were active. I can't really get that excited about seeing Crowes tunes played without Rich, (as a guitar player, the presence of key instrumentalists is more important to me than the singer in a lot of cases), but surely rock history is full of instances of guys doing reunions or nostalgia gigs to fund the furthering of their solo careers (or, in a few cases, to pay for divorces :laugh:).

budwhite and Vinyl_Blues like this.
  10. AlienRendel

AlienRendel Senior Member

The discussion of "As the Crow Flies" is at about 47:00 for those who want to skip to it.

11. walrus

I only saw NMAS twice, opening for Robert Plant. So, problem a) was that it was just the two brothers, which made for a pretty thin sound, but b) Luther's vocals, while not awful, didn't really add anything musically to a situation that desperately needed a third dynamic ingredient to be interesting. I like Luther's playing quite a bit, but (sort of like Rich), he shouldn't be fronting a gig vocally for an entire set.

12. walrus

He always "does okay," but the last couple Crowes gigs I saw, he definitely didn't have the fury or high range of the past. Kind of did that shouting thing to compensate for notes he couldn't sing anymore. Still a fun show, but from a purely musical standpoint, Hogg has more range and cleaner vocals than Chris does when singing those songs.

Is it preferable to having the real/original guy up front? Of course not, but musically, Magpie is a closer experience to the mid-90's Crowes than I can envision Chris' thing to be.

telepicker97 and Rhett like this.
  13. Waymore Lonesome

Waymore Lonesome Forum Resident

Gee I always liked Luthers singing, great dirty blues singer, not many of them around anymore.

905, southamorican and WarEagleRK like this.
  14. highway chile

highway chile I know it goes a little deeper than that.

I saw 4 TMS shows. Must have been different than the 2 you saw. I get your point, but the band was fantastic.

SonicBob likes this.
  15. agentalbert

agentalbert Senior Member

Same here. I really liked him as a guitarist during his time in the Crowes, but they didn't need his vocals.

16. highway chile

highway chile I know it goes a little deeper than that.

I too follow both bands. I've seen CRB a dozen times and saw TMS 4 times this year. It's the things Chris has said, and continues to say, about Rich and his former band mates and way he essentially killed the future plans the Crowes had already laid out that have many long-time fans...shall we say "less than enamored" with Chris. I am an active member here, but I actually learned of this thread from Steve Gorman's twitter where he pointed out some very inappropriate remarks Chris recently made about Chris Cornell.

https://www.jambase.com/article/chris-robinson-discusses-black-crowes-chris-cornell-crb

You could also check out Chris' comments on a recent Howard Stern interview. As I said, I really enjoy the CRB live, but it's getting harder and harder the more he opens his mouth.

Last edited: Nov 14, 2017
    Rockin' Robby, DrBeatle and Hep Alien like this.
  17. Vinyl_Blues

Vinyl_Blues Slave to the Groove

It's sad to hear of so much friction between the brothers, though I guess that's been going on for a while. FWIW, I figure that stuff is none of my business, and as long as they keep making good music, together or apart, I'll keep buying it, supporting them, and attending their shows.

Hep Alien, budwhite and Bonddm like this.
  18. Bonddm

Bonddm Forum Resident

Yeah, I’m also in what appears to be the minority that really dig both TMS and CRB!

19. So, who is the 'B Squad' to whom Rich refers?

AlienRendel likes this.
  20. lucan_g

lucan_g Forum Resident

Fortunately...none of us have to hang out with the people who make the music we like.

21. walrus

I guess I don't hear it. He's trying his best, because that's what that music needs, but he just doesn't have that kind of voice naturally. He can't make himself sound like Muddy Waters any more than I can make myself sound like Peter Gabriel.

22. walrus

As an Oasis, Kiss and Crowes fan, I am so eternally grateful for this.

23. Further

Further Forum Resident

Rich definitely takes the high road with all of this stuff but he got the ultimate zinger in there - "I've got Marc Ford". Hahaha. Absolutely perfect and so true. I think the Magpie Salute is coming from a very pure place - I can't wait to hear a double album of originals next year.

Now that the band is gaining some momentum and great reviews, I think Chris is probably starting to rethink things a bit. Regardless of what he's said about leaving the past behind, I'm sure he was hoping to keep the Crowes in limbo, thinking they could never continue without his vocals and as a result hold all the power regarding the future (or not) of the band.

Rich made the best move possible. Get the best group together that he could, launch a new band with a new name, give the fans what they want and then record a double album of original material to solidify it all and prove they are a force to be reckoned with. He's not forgetting the past. He is embracing it and continuing to build upon it. The Magpie Salute's heart is in the right place and it shows.

Chris on the other hand has continued to bury himself with the ridiculous things he says and obviously is quite bitter about his brothers continued success. He makes the biggest mistake possible by trying to build himself up by tearing others down. That will only serve to make you look bad. It's too bad that he always seems to feel like he has to sell you on what he's all about. Why not just do your thing and let others draw their natural conclusion.

I have really liked a lot of what the Brotherhood have done and I think their latest album is some of the best work they've done up to this point, it's a really solid record......but it seems that anymore, the more Chris opens his mouth, the more he takes away from what he's built. The things he says just don't match the image he is trying to cultivate. Hypocrisy is right. He's the king of hypocrisy, slamming his brother for playing in a "cover band" while he fronts his own band "modeled after the Grateful Dead" - that's his own description, not to mention, covering the Dead, playing the same covers the Dead did and generally trying to sound like them with their original songs, as well.

Oh well, whatever I guess. Anything Chris tries to do at this point in retaliation towards Rich will seem born out of pettiness, bitterness and jealousy. It's unfortunate he made the demands he did and burned those bridges. He made his bed and now he'll have to lie in it. It's a very good lesson in being careful about giving ultimatums to people.

The Magpie Salute are going about things the right way and coming from a very positive place and that's where I think I'll be putting my focus on in the coming months. I think the new double album is going to bring some really beautiful music and I'm really looking forward to hearing it.

24. agentalbert

agentalbert Senior Member

Mostly takes the high road. I don't know that slamming Audley, Luther and Adam (guys he played with) as the "b squad" is the high road. Or maybe I misinterpreted what he meant by that?

25. Matthew Tate

Matthew Tate Forum Resident

i'm not even sure what chris is jealous about. CRB has been more successful then anything rich has done

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.