Chris Wood (Traffic) box set next year?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by The Panda, Nov 27, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. The Panda

The Panda Forum Mutant Thread Starter

Theres a brief mention in Wiki on this (6/14)--anyone know any more about what they're planning?

Since Winwood won't allow unreleased Traffic stuff to be used (except the one live track on Vulcan), I can't see how they can squeeze a box out of this.

There are unused Vulcan tracks that don't involve Traffic, but I don't see how they can add up to multiple cds.
    It would be a sin to not allow the Where the Eagle Flies outtake of Moonshild Vulcan not to see the light of day, but I'm betting it's sadly lost in the tug of war between Steve and the label.

2. pool_of_tears

pool_of_tears Searching For Simplicity

I could see a 2 disc set perhaps.

3. wildstar

wildstar Senior Member

It'll probably be like Duane Allman's recent box set, composed mostly of collected session work. I would assume the first disc will be the Vulcan album, plus 2 or 3 CDs of guest/session man recordings. There's plenty to choose from. They could probably fill six discs with his session work.

Not to mention any recordings that may exist from his pre-Traffic band(s).

4. ARK

ARK Forum Miscreant

Would definitely be interested in this, especially if it's as good as the Capaldi set from a few years ago.

Ted Bell likes this.
  5. revolution_vanderbilt

revolution_vanderbilt Forum Resident

I was going to start a topic on this, but I found this thread.

http://www.hiddenmasters.net/chris-wood/

It's said to be a three CD/1 LP set. I think the site used to say that they planned on having it ready for June 2014, but that seems to have been taken down. The Chris Wood facebook page is always active (very often posting some great links!) and ever now and again, mention this project, the most recent being a few weeks ago "We are still progressing with the Evening Blue project which is looking amazing..."

Color me excited, because I love Vulcan, and I love Chris's work on other artists records. Both he and Steve Winwood have an unmistakeable "voice" (Wood on the sax and flute, Stevie on the keys and his literal voice!) which makes it fun to hear them appear on other works.

Also, I'm pretty sure the original Vulcan CD has two Traffic tracks: the live Moonchild Vulcan, and the "band version" of Barbed Wire.

Hep Alien likes this.
  6. FangfossFlyer

FangfossFlyer Forum Resident

What's up with Steve on this then?

7. revolution_vanderbilt

https://www.facebook.com/ChrisWoodTraffic/posts/877689062269221

8. revolution_vanderbilt

http://hiddenmasters.net/chris-wood/

Pre-ordering starts tomorrow, February 10, 12 noon GMT

they managed to push it all the way to 4 discs. No full tracklisting announced, but hopefully that will be made available tomorrow when the pre-ordering opens.

9. The Panda

Thanks for that. But it sure looks like this is too rich for my blood. I'm glad they found the missing stuff that wasn't on the single cd. I don't need to hear his session work. And I don't need the vinyl or 200 pages of text.

10. revolution_vanderbilt

I'm guessing you also wouldn't want the super exclusive leather bound edition either...

As always, I'm mainly in for the music. The difference between us is that I'm very interested in his session work. I have everything known to be released, in varying sound quality. The vinyl will never get played, and the book probably only looked through when I first receive it.

The 6 CD Jess Roden set from Hidden Masters is sold for £65.00, which is $94 right now. I hope this set is around the same price.

11. The Panda

If they have actual outtakes or live sb (they opened for Jimi!) of MCW&F I will be really tempted. they were an awesome band with great potential. We have all the BBC stuff in very good quality

12. revolution_vanderbilt

They opened for his Royal Albert Hall show. Dave Mason and Chris came out for Room Full Of Mirrors.

goat65cars likes this.
  13. The Panda

exactly what I meant. No one has ever said whether the tapes of their set exist

14. ranasakawa

ranasakawa Forum Resident

Bring on unreleased Traffic!

Bernard hansen, footlooseman and ARK like this.
  15. The Panda

I'm not holding my breath. With Winwood still at war over the royalties on unreleased Traffic, the best I think we could possibly get is the studio version of Moonchild Vulcan that was cut from Eagle Flies (the version released so far is not Traffic). The one live track that they put on the single cd is pretty cool.

16. rstamberg

rstamberg Senior Member

Interesting. I'd buy it.

17. revolution_vanderbilt

Of course, from what I understand, Jimi's performance is in quite a legal quagmire, and hasn't been reissued in the Experience Hendrix discography, so who knows what's going on there.

18. revolution_vanderbilt

@The Panda

No tracklisting yet (per Facebook, the tracklisting won't be finalized until the end of the month) but dig THIS

Studio recordings from the only known-to-survive sessions by the short-lived Mason, Capaldi, Wood & Frog line-up are included as are tracks from their only BBC live session.

https://store.digitalstores.co.uk/hiddenmasters/

cheapest edition is $130.

EDIT

OOF, but with a $76 delivery charge.

Last edited: Feb 10, 2016
    ARK likes this.
  19. rjp

rjp Senior Member

whatever happened to it all being about the music and not the money?

i ask this of steve winwood.

20. The Panda

OMG. $200. After what I just spent for a rare record last month, that would be time for a 'we have to talk' session with the wife. This hurts.....

21. The Panda

Dave Mason told a friend of mine years ago that they had booked studio time, but got so stoned the night before that they woke up and were too lazy and out of it to go to the studio, so they never made it to the studio. Glad he's wrong.
    Now we will also see about the truth to the guy who used to run a Traffic fanzine's claim that they recorded (or performed on BBC) Born Under a Bad Sign.

ARK likes this.
  22. revolution_vanderbilt

First I'm hearing about all of this!

I first heard of Mason, Capaldi, Wood, & Frog from Traffic discography page, and a site discussing rare and unreleased Traffic. That led me to the long circulating and low quality BBC recording. By chance, a year later, the much better source (and with one more track/version) cropped up. Very sound from what Mason went for with Alone Together. Very Traffic-esque. "Replacing" Winwood didn't really have all that great an effect. After all, Winwood best qualities were not necessarily on dsiplay on Mason's songs anyway. Winwood's Traffic and Mason's Traffic are like two different bands.

parman and The Panda like this.
  23. The Panda

I also found that sound upgrade years later. Never heard Feeling Alright yet.
    Leaving Blues is fabulous, wish they'd put Dave's vocal higher in the mix.

revolution_vanderbilt likes this.
  24. pjr114

pjr114 Forum Resident

Indeed, that is a whopping delivery charge. It's definitely inflated. I buy lots of things from England and Europe with similar weights and they are nowhere near that. Why is it so high? May bite the bullet anyways.

25. mestreech

mestreech Forum Resident

Way too expensive sorry.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.