*Christmas Songs* what are you playing?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by gotityet0, Nov 29, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. HominyRhodes

HominyRhodes Forum Resident

2. Uncle Meat

Uncle Meat Forum Resident

3. Michael

Michael I LOVE WIDE S-T-E-R-E-O!

...today it was The Ventures Christmas album cranked! damn this rocks!

HominyRhodes likes this.
  4. HominyRhodes

HominyRhodes Forum Resident

Damn, you are absolutely 100% correct. :righton: (And have you heard the Los Straitjackets tribute/semi-remake? It rocks just as hard.)

5. Uncle Meat

Uncle Meat Forum Resident

Where 45 did that jacket come from ????

6. Ed Bishop

Ed Bishop Incredibly, I'm still here

Given that you can't turn on the radio or go into a retail store of any kind right now without hearing the usual suspects, I'm trying to avoid holiday music at home at all costs...though if I had the 4 Seasons' Christmas album handy, I'd give it a spin if only because I doubt any of those tracks would even get play on satellite radio these days....

While on our little sojourn to NYC a few weeks ago, stood (well, kind of sat at times) in line with the Perfume fans, and one of them was playing stuff on her iPhone or whatever, and a Phil Spector Xmas Gift song came up, and we talked about it. She was probably 25 years old tops, but she remembers some of the album's tracks from when she was old enough to remember...which if nothing else is a reminder that the advent of the compact disc wasn't a total waste. While I was growing up that album was a very well kept secret (the first copy I found I paid $5 for, and it was warped a little, but still playable, first track of both sides), and I don't remember hearing any of its songs on the radio until the '75 or so Warner-Spector reissue, and even THEN only a few of 'em...but when CD's came along and radio stations converted and got rid of their vinyl and A CHRISTMAS GIFT FOR YOU became common in stores, then, finally, the album got the airplay and respect it had deserved all along.

I'll play it eventually...stereo version first, then the mono, nice to hear the differences and that it got stereo issue at all. I do wonder if Phil, languishing behind bars, understands what that album now means to millions of listeners. It sounds so sensible, sane and rocking, the work of a man who for a few years kept in check the demons he must have known were there, lurking in the darkness, after the music stopped. I can't hear the album now without feeling a little depressed...but then the music comes on, the volume kicked up, making it easier to forget the later realities.

:ed:

7. stereoptic

stereoptic Anaglyphic GORT Staff

I just finished listening to a needledrop of the Pavillion Stereo version (called Phil Spector's Christmas Album). Although I prefer the murky mono, it is fun to hear the little bell tinkles and horse clops, etc. brought to the fore.

Michael likes this.
  8. Michael

Michael I LOVE WIDE S-T-E-R-E-O!

I have both, but the Stereo IMO is so much better!

9. kevinsinnott

kevinsinnott Forum Coffeeologist

As I am celebrating the first day of Advent, I am playing the lead track off this disc.

[​IMG]
    Oh Come O Come Emanuel. It's a very low cost CD, engineered by the great Marc Aubort. Very atmospheric.
    No one conducts this music better than Robert Shaw.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.