*Christmas Songs* what are you playing?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by gotityet0, Nov 29, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Doctor Flang

Doctor Flang Forum Resident

I made my own CD:

Greg Lake - I Believe in Father Christmas
    Jethro Tull - Christmas Song
    Jethro Tull - Another Christmas Song
    Jethro Tull - Jack Frost and The Hooded Crow
    Jethro Tull - Ring Out, Solstice Bells
    Chris Squire & Alan White (Yes) - Run With the Fox

2. Great idea for later today. :cheers:

3. Emberglow

Emberglow Senior Member

I've just finished wrapping the Christmas presents and listening to The Chieftains - The Bells of Dublin CD. My favourite track is [strike]Elvis Costello - 'The St. Stephen's Day Murders'[/strike] Jackson Browne - 'The Rebel Jesus'. Or maybe Marianne Faithfull - 'I Saw Three Ships A Sailing'. Or maybe... the whole album is great but that's probably because I only give it a blast once a year. It blows away the winter blues and puts me in tune with the true spirit of Christmas. I think I'll play it again tonight.

4. Dan C

Dan C Forum Fotographer

Love these guys! The new EP is also great (and also on red vinyl :righton:)

dan c

Attached Files:

5. LouReed9

LouReed9 Village Idiot

6. Scotian

Scotian Amnesia Hazed

I made an MP3 CD for my car earlier this month of the three Trans-Siberian Orchestra Christmas Albums, Jethro Tull's Christmas Album & Bob Dylan - Christmas in the Heart. It just repeats.

7. stereoptic

stereoptic Anaglyphic GORT Staff

Sure is! I've been spinning it for the past few weeks. Make sure that you download the free .mp3s that are included with the purchase. The mix of Silent Night Rock is different. It opens with the slow bass, plus a wind effect with a low ukulele.

8. Dan C

Dan C Forum Fotographer

Oh cool, good to know that! Can't wait to hear the digital version. :thumbsup:

dan c

9. AudiophilePhil

AudiophilePhil Senior Member

CHRISTMAS TIME IS HERE AGAIN - The Beatles

10. Jack White

Jack White Senior Member

I just finished listening to "Christmas Carols" by Mantovani and put on "A Collection of Favourite Christmas Carols" by The New American Guitar Ensemble, featuring Lewis Ross.

11. Jack White

Jack White Senior Member

Soundtrack to "A Charlie Brown Christmas" by the Vince Guaraldi Trio. I'm playing the original CD, which I believe in a past thread SH recommended. It does sound very good.

I also have the SACD and SH's mastered vinyl versions of the album. I think I'll save those for tomorrow.

12. Lilainjil

Lilainjil Forum Resident

A Tapestry of Carols - Maddy Prior with The Carnival Band (my all time favourite Christmas album)

and

Ed Gerhard - On A Cold Winter's Night (tasteful solo acoustic guitar Christmas record)

Now off to wrap presents.
    Then... Alistair Sim.

13. rene smalldridge

rene smalldridge Senior Member

Sufjan Stevens Presents Songs For Christmas - Singalong In Stereo Hi-Fi - 5 CD set.

14. apileocole

apileocole Lush Life Gort

"Christmas Goes Baroque"

Christmas Goes Baroque.jpg

with thanks to a forum member! :)

Not a bad Nutcracker Suite and some of the pop standards are delightfully well arranged, picking good musical approaches for each song. Anywho, it was better overall than one might expect. :)

15. Zep Fan

Zep Fan Sounds Better with Headphones on

16. sparkydog

sparkydog Forum Resident

I'm listening to Time-Life's A Hollywood Christmas because it features Holiday Road by Lindsay Buckingham! Finally on CD again!

[​IMG]

17. Claus

Claus Senior Member

I do not play special christmas songs.....

But mostly I hear music like this:

Enya, Dead Can Dance, Cantate Domino.

Sometimes... Merry XMas Guitars, A Special Christmas (Mofi)

18. KeithH

KeithH Success With Honor...then and now

In addition to the above discs, this one arrived in the mail yesterday and is spinning now:

Johnny Mathis Give Me Your Love For Christmas

It's an old Columbia CD, catalog number CK 9923. It's a whopping 30 minutes, but I am enjoying it. :)

19. rikki nadir

rikki nadir Gentleman Thug

Another vote for the Tull Christmas album. I also have a couple of Christmas albums from the Albion Band which are in heavy rotation this time of year - A Christmas Present From The Albion Band (1985) and The Albion Band Christmas Album (1999).

The 1985 album defines Christmas for me, probably because I have been playing it every year for nearly 25 years - as well as songs, it has spoken word extracts from the works of Charles Dickens, Thomas Hardy, and a first hand account of the Christmas truce between British and German soldiers in 1914 which never fails to bring a tear.

20. rstamberg

rstamberg Senior Member

Currently spinning Jethro Tull's CHRISTMAS AT ST. BRIDE'S 2008 for the first time. Very, very nice indeed. Too bad it's only available as a U.K. import.

21. celticbob

celticbob Forum Resident

Time to bump it up for a new year.

22. fergojisan

fergojisan Atari 2600 Gadabout

I have an iPod playlist that I had to make for work (no cursing), and I was planning on adding some Christmas songs to it today. Nat King Cole, Bing Crosby, Frank Sinatra, the Beach Boys, and then some other more obscure songs like "All That I Want" by the Weepies. I lurve Christmas music. :righton:

23. KipB

KipB Forum Resident

I'm not actually listening to Christmas music yet, but I have been picking up some things I learned about through the forum so I'm ready to go when the Friday after Thanksgiving hits ... Kenny Burrell's Have Yourself a Soulful Little Christmas, Sinatra's A Jolly Christmas ... bring it on ...

24. Dennis Metz

Dennis Metz Born In A Motor City south of Detroit

Not until the 24th!:edthumbs::cheers:

25. oxenholme

oxenholme Senile member

A very nice stereo pressing of Phil Spector's Christmas Album arrived the other day, so I've been giving it a spin.

Pavillion label, pressed by CBS on flimsy vinyl, but it sounds pretty good.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.