Christopher Cross "Roberta" tribute to Joni Mitchell

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Rosskolnikov, Feb 23, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Rosskolnikov

Rosskolnikov Designated Cloud Yeller Thread Starter

New song, really nice work, I think. It's not so well-known that Cross is a great guitarist.

2. Inner ear

Inner ear Forum Resident

That is nice. I didn't realize he was even making music anymore.

3. Rosskolnikov

Rosskolnikov Designated Cloud Yeller Thread Starter

This was a good one from about 5 years ago (Eric Johnson does the guitar solo).

Inner ear likes this.
  4. rjp

rjp Senior Member

his album from 2014 "secret ladder" is pretty good too.

5. bru87tr

bru87tr 80’s rule

Eric Johnson does the solo on the song "Minstrel Gigolo" from his first album.

Great, great song and excellent solo.

Rosskolnikov likes this.
  6. rjp

rjp Senior Member

christopher cross is very very good, he is the victim of having a first album that would never be close to being equaled.

gotblues likes this.
  7. gotblues

gotblues Forum Resident

Wow, I love this. Thanks for posting. Listening on the headset, I feel as if I'm swimming leisurely deep in the sea, with coral and creatures for company, and no need to surface ever again. Beautiful piece.

keyXVII likes this.
  8. Chris C

Chris C Music was my first love and it will be my last!

Christopher Cross was victim of not having any great songs for his follow up album, with exception to "Think Of Laura". Speaking of said song, I never realized until recently that Laura and her untimely death, had a huge OHIO connection ...

Student's convicted killer wins parole

9. Chris C

10. Chris C

One last tidbit regarding "Think Of Laura", but until I discovered all of this stuff about the girl referenced in Christopher's song, I had no idea that the album from which the song came from, "Another Page", was mostly songs written about his then girlfriend Paige (Get it ..., "Another Page"). Paige is seen on the LP insert photo, sitting on a stool.

Photo from ‘Another Page’ by Christopher Cross, 1983

11. torcan

torcan Forum Resident

While I agree that his first album was much stronger, I really like "All Right" and "Talking in Your Sleep" and think those are great songs.

What surprises me is that, according to what I've read, Christopher was writing and playing his own songs from around 1975 onwards (in addition to covering other artists). He only used 9 on his debut album and took three years to release a follow-up, which wasn't as strong. What happened to all those other songs he was writing - were only those few any good?

He was one of my favorite artists for the first half of the '80s and I would have liked to have seen his success last a bit longer.

yesstiles and gotblues like this.
  12. Chris C

Nice to read your post! I never warmed up to "All Right" or "Talking In Your Sleep", but I thought that "Baby Says No" had some potential, but that it dragged on far too long. Christopher has released some later albums that are really good in my opinion, especially "Windows". The song that he did for Tina Fey and "30 Rock" was truly classic Christopher Cross! It's also hard to not love his "Arthur's Theme (Best That You Can Do)", as well. Who else but Christopher could get Burt Bacharach, Carole Bayer Sager and Peter Allen together, to write one of the most radio friendly songs of all-time?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.