Chromatics new cd - Kill For Love

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by ralphb, Apr 13, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ralphb

ralphb "First they came for..." Thread Starter

First time I'm hearing this band and I'm completely taken with them. Seems to be a one man operation with a couple of friends and a female singer. I know they have a few other releases which I need to check out, but this one is pretty amazing. A weird hybrid of Disco/Cocteau Twins/Cure/New Order/Tuxedomoon/synth pop/breathy chanteuse/noir soundtrack, it's something totally it's own. While it does experiment with sound, there are songs here with either great hooks or melodies so entrancing you just drift along. At 70+ minutes it never outstays it's welcome, in fact it goes by very quickly. Seems to be available only at the Italians Do It Better site, and I think it's a very well-done cdr (nice MBV inspired cover, lyrics), but at 5 bucks plus shipping it's worth the plunge for those with a hankering for something different. This will wind up as one of my favorites of the year, for sure.

2. RevUp64

RevUp64 Forum Resident

Chromatics are under the Italians Do It Better umbrella. The lable puts out mostly vinyl singles. The After Dark sampler from a few years ago is fantastic, and I wish they'd do them regularly. Check out the offerings:

http://www.troublemanunlimited.com/store/idib/

3. C4rl

C4rl Forum Resident

Spookily my copy of this laded on my doorstep from across the pond this afternoon. I’ve not had a chance to listen to it yet because I'm at work but I have there previous offering Night Drive so I took a punt on this one having read a favourable review on Pitchfork.

4. nbakid2000

nbakid2000 On Indie's Cutting Edge

I'm finally listening to my copy. Sounds good so far. First time listener.

5. ralphb

It took a few listens to actually sink in, they go for a mood and you have to go along with it, definitely something you need to take in as a whole piece.

6. dirkster

dirkster Senior Member

If you go to soundcloud.com and search for Chromatics you'll find some tracks that have been posted there by the bandleader himself. Some pretty good stuff! I enjoyed "Tick of the Clock" on the Drive soundtrack and was amazed to see that this was an edit of a much longer version. The full length version is from the Chromatics album, but it's also available for listening on the soundcloud site.

7. mantis4tons

mantis4tons Forum Resident

Italians Do It Better is a great, consistent label. Many of the bands are project of Johnny Jewel, including the Chromatics, Glass Candy, and Desire. All of their releases are worth checking out. On top of that, IDIB releases solid edits (*ahem* bootlegs) of obscure and classic tracks. The "Hollywood Seven" 12" is fantastic and very much worth checking out.

Plus, you've got to appreciate that Mike S and Johnny sell their releases so cheaply. $5 for a CD? Can't beat that.

8. nbakid2000

I am loving this album. Took me no time to get into it. I'm on track 10 so far. Very moody.

9. nbakid2000

I own all the CDs I could buy off their site and I really really like what I'm hearing from most of their projects so far. Thanks for bringing this label to my attention.

10. Neonbeam

Neonbeam All Art Was Once Contemporary

I just tracked down a vinyl copy of "Night Drive" and would be VERY interested in "Kill For Love" but.... there seems to be no vinyl version :(

11. nbakid2000

I bought everything except the one by the other owner of the label. That one sucked.

12. ralphb

Don't let the lack of vinyl stop you from hearing Kill For Love, it's one of the best albums of the year.

13. PanaPlasma

PanaPlasma Forum Resident

Heard "Kill for Love" (the single) for the first time a month ago on the radio and fell immediately in love with the song.

Is the rest of the album as good as their radiohit?

14. ralphb

As good if not better, which is pretty remarkable considering it's length.

15. mantis4tons

mantis4tons Forum Resident

It's supposedly coming out soon. Keep your eyes on the Italians Do It Better blog: http://vivaitalians.blogspot.com/

16. nbakid2000

Yes. It is incredible.

17. Neonbeam

Good news! They will release the Symmetry album as triple vinyl too!

18. nbakid2000

Night Drive finally got back in stock so I grabbed it.

How are they making a profit with 5 dollar CDs???

19. Neonbeam

Maybe not much but it is a fantastic way to spread the sound. Because at 5 dollar people usually don't think if they should buy it or not...

20. ralphb

I'm sure they're making a profit of sorts. It doesn't cost much to physically manufacture a cd and I'm pretty sure they have their own studio, so overhead is probably low.

21. nbakid2000

You're right, 5 bucks is a major selling point and I'm sure it's part of the reason they have trouble keeping things in stock. However, these one run CDs that they have is crap. There's a couple on there I found that I want that aren't being produced again.

22. Neonbeam

They should start repressing their titles on vinyl, "Night Drive" is already not easy to get, same goes for "II" by Desire. Which is ironic considering that they sold these records pretty cheap too.

Will definitely grab "Kill For Love" and "Themes For An Imaginary Film" when they are released!

23. jimhb

jimhb Forum Resident

I understand the vinyl is coming out soon. In the meantime, the band released a free drumless version of Kill For Love. It is excellent. You can get it here:
    http://www.sendspace.com/file/7c67td

24. Neonbeam

25. PanaPlasma

PanaPlasma Forum Resident

Amazon UK has the vinyl as pre-order for September 3rd. Hope I'll get one ... Don't care what color the vinyl has, as long as it is a decent pressing.

CD has also good mastering to modern standards.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.