Chuck Prophet Temple Beautiful expanded edition due June 3

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by windfall, Mar 25, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. windfall

windfall Senior Member Thread Starter

2. sixelsix

sixelsix Forum Resident

GREAT album.

3. neilpatto

neilpatto Forum Resident

Excellent, thanks for heads up, been waiting for news on this release, nothing on CP's site yet.
    NP

4. neilpatto

neilpatto Forum Resident

Hey Windfall (and other UK-based Chuck fans), did you get the news that Chuck is playing a one-off show with strings at the Americana Festival in Gateshead in July? The show is indoors at the Sage Hall #2 (the same room that he played with the Spanish Bombs a few year back). TheJayhawks are playing the following night, so it should be quite a weekend. Hope you can get along, I'll be there.

NP

5. windfall

Thanks for the heads up there. It's a five hour drive but I'll make it. Though I'm going to check he hasn't got plans to be playing elsewhere maybe a little closer! I have a feeling he might be planning more than this single UK show...

6. sixelsix

sixelsix Forum Resident

This record just gets better and better the more I listen. The Left Hand & The Right Hand has been in my head all morning.

7. windfall

He's got a knack for a catchy tune! Some interesting news here.
    DON’T BELIEVE EVERYTHING YOU READ ABOUT THE BOOM OUT HERE UNLESS YOU HEAR AN ACTUAL EXPLOSION.
    Folks,

We're happy to announce a whole mess of upcoming gigs (with and without strings)

If you are one to believe what you read: San Francisco is once again under siege by predatory tech nerds, drones, plutocrats and wiz kids. Not to mention Mr. "Condo-Condo-Condo" Supervisor Scott Wiener. (Sorry I couldn't resist, there should be a "Condo Line dance"). Still, people: don't believe everything you read about the boom out here unless you hear an actual explosion. Trust me, there are still plenty of folks without healthcare, unemployed or stuck working ****ty low-wage gigs to pay for that overpriced shoebox.

It's enough to make you want to lay down in front of a google bus and use their wifi to upload your own end to YouTube in real time.

But there's other stuff going on here too. Always is. This is real life. I have to remind myself (and John Murry) that it just *feels* like The Real World Season 37; that the cameras aren't *actually* there. Though John insists (in an homage to Katy Perry) that he "knows life isn't like reality TV but it should be. literally, man.". John and I wrote a tune or two for his upcoming EP and, loving the weirdo as I do, I let him hijack this paragraph so that he might include a link to MOJO's site where they're premiering one of those ditties today! Check it:

http://www.mojo4music.com/13466/john-murry-glass-slipper/

After two years of sending out these newsletters packed with gigs, pimping the Temple Beautiful across the U.S and the globe, last Thanksgiving, me and my band played the LP start to finish in sequence with a string octet (scored and conducted by Brad Jones) in a one-night-only filled to capacity performance at the Great American Music Hall (Itself a former bordello and a deco SF institution).

It turned out to be a pretty cool gig. Honestly, [SPOILER ALERT] it was &$@!ing awesome!

Now we're taking it on the road to select cities.

To coincide with the dates, Yep Roc is releasing a Temple e-book. (See what I did there? I'm being published, folks. Knighting coming soon? I just want the dress sword... Looks swank.) The e-book is an iPad-ready collection of writings, essays, and pictures related to Temple Beautiful and the "making of", all stitched together and wrestled into shape by Steven Drace. It includes hand drawn original lyric sheets, videos for every song, marginality, ephemera, alternate song demos, placeholder titles, digressions, production notes, and more. It's heavy. Not in weight, obviously. In content. In heart. In spirit. You get the idea. The printed version would be something like a third the size of the San Francisco phone book.

Okay, that's enough, babies.

See you out there,

-CP

June 7 – St Louis – Twangfest – Off Broadway

June 8 – Chicago– City Winery (TB with Strings)

June 9 – Ann Arbor – The Ark

June 11 – Sellersville, PA – Sellersville Theater (TBA)

June 12 – NYC – Bowery Ballroom (TB with Strings)

June 13 – Arlington, VA – IOTA Club

June 27 – Santa Monica – McCabe's with Peter Mulvey (TB with Strings)

June 28 – Santa Barbara – Lobero Theatre (TB with Strings)

June 29 - TBA

July 18 - Newcastle UK - Sage Gateshead (TB with Strings)

8. arthurprecarious

arthurprecarious Forum Resident

Went to see Chuck last night - excellent as usual. Did this come out?

9. windfall

No. They changed their minds quite late on and decided to take the movie to the festival circuit. Still hoping it may happen at some point. The trailer looks great.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.