Cinemax series "Quarry"

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by agentalbert, Sep 13, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Rufus McDufus

Rufus McDufus Forum Resident

Damn it, I really liked this series.

2. BEAThoven

BEAThoven Forum Resident

We are definitely in a "golden age of television," and I appreciate that, but this news frustrates me...

"... cited the channel's return to "high-octane action dramas" such as the..." -- Jesus, you've gotta be kidding me... as though there are not 100 other cut-rate stations focusing on that content.

3. JackBnimble

JackBnimble Forum Resident

That sucks. Pretty much figured it was getting the boot given the length of time between the last episode and now. Cracks me up how Cinemax keeps claiming they canceled The Knick when as amyone who watched it could tell you Soderbergh pretty much canceled it himself by the way he ended the last episode. Will probably dump Cinemax only kept it for Banshee and The Knick. Quarry was a nice bonus.

4. Humbuster

Humbuster Staff Emeritus

Agreed. Was a very good show. I was looking forward to a 2nd season. Mrs. Quarry was hot!

GodShifter and Complier like this.
  5. Complier

Complier Senior Member

Oh how I hope they replace it with a show with zombies and pirates. That "Quarry" show had too much thinkin stuff goin on.

6. GodShifter

GodShifter Forum Member

I'm really hacked this couldn't get green lighted for a second season. Ridiculous. Cinemax's series have sucked for the most part. God forbid they do something that is riveting and at the same time introspective and thoughtful.

Explosions! Bombs! Absurdity! Megafights!

Make it happen!

townsend likes this.
  7. townsend

townsend Senior Member

I haven't seen this yet (don't have cable or satellite TV), but put it is on my "wanted to watch list," because of the glowing review it received at DVDBEAVER: Quarry Blu-ray - Logan Marshall-Green

I was hoping it might stream on Netflix, but obviously it is too recent for that, but I can get it through my DVD Netflix plan.

I know you guys are disappointed that it is canceled, but I'm not really surprised. How good a show is, or how well it is received by the audience, play very little if at all in whether a series gets another season. Think Coppers (killed after 24 episodes), Deadwood, Firefly, and the list could go on and on.

I guess we need to view this as the "cup half full" -- one fine 8-hour movie, split up into eight episodes. I know its hard to do that if the last show leaves the audience in a lurch.

GodShifter likes this.
  8. GodShifter

GodShifter Forum Member

The first and only season doesn't leave the viewer in the lurch but it certainly leaves it open that more can develop. That's the most disappointing thing. It was a very good show and got screwed. Such is life.

townsend and agentalbert like this.
  9. agentalbert

agentalbert Senior Member Thread Starter

Yeah. And to think they won't continue this, but are reviving "Strike Back" which was on fumes and had run its course really annoys me. The last two seasons of that, especially the final one, were pretty bad.

Not that it will make any difference, but if you want to send HBO (who owns Cinemax) a polite message letting them know you're disappointed, here is where you do so. No contact option on the Cinemax page that I could find.

HBO: About: Contact Us

Last edited: Jun 6, 2017
    GodShifter likes this.
  10. townsend

townsend Senior Member

I just finished the first six episodes. I will definitely finish the first (and only) season. Watching it is kind of life driving by and slowing down as you pass by a horrid auto accident. You can't help but continue looking at it. In the first couple of episodes, the wheels and axles came off, and then it slowed down a little and gave us a break (by which I mean, remarkably, an episode where the only violence is smashing somebody's head into a table).

I like the two main leads (actor and actress), but I never really bought the actor who played the broker. Good portrayal of 1972, southern culture, with plenty of poor whites, uneducated and mired in poverty. It's kind of sad to think that things are still like that in some parts of the south. (EDIT: lived in south almost my entire life).

Last edited: Dec 18, 2017
  11. Lonson

Lonson I'm in the kitchen with the Tombstone Blues

Those are great novels. I'll check out the Cinemax series.

If you like "Quarry," try the dark-humor (probably using "Quarry" as an inspiration) HBO series "Barry." I thought the first season that ended last week was excellent.

12. agentalbert

agentalbert Senior Member Thread Starter

I didn't know this until recently, but the original un-aired version of the pilot had Stellan Skarsgard as The Broker. I didn't have a problem with the guy they went with, but I always like Stellan so it would have been interesting to see him on the show instead. That original pilot also had Mary Elizabeth Winstead in the Joni role.

townsend likes this.
  13. GodShifter

GodShifter Forum Member

I thought Peter Mullan was great as “The Broker”. He’s kind of the same character in Ozark.

14. Chazro

Chazro Forum Resident

Nice to see Quarry getting some love on the forum, better late than never!;) Maybe a few yrs from now the same thing'll happen with Kingdom, Ice, & Hap and Leonard! All outstanding shows that somehow seemed to slip under the radar around here!

Brenald79 likes this.
  15. GodShifter

GodShifter Forum Member

I think I already stated it, but I really liked Quarry. It had some problems (the middle dragged hard) and a few other things that bugged me, but it was a good show. It’s just a shame it couldn’t have at least another season. Banshee went four or five on Cinemax but Quarry couldn’t do two? Bah.

Brenald79 likes this.
  16. Brenald79

Brenald79 Forum Resident

One of the guys from Barry was the Albino from Banshee from the legendary jail fight scene.

17. Brenald79

Brenald79 Forum Resident

Has anyone scene Strike Back on Cinemax? I’m watching it since I enjoyed the other Cinemax series I’ve seen (Banshee, Hunted, Quarry) so much and want to watch them all. Hunted also only lasted 1 season.

18. Lonson

Okay. I tried Banshee and it was way too over the top and clunky for me.

I know Anthony Corrigan of Barry from Gotham, and Glenn Flieshler from Hannibal and The Following.

GodShifter likes this.
  19. Chazro

Chazro Forum Resident

I've watched the entire series (4 seasons) and have mentioned it elsewhere around here. This show falls in 24/Homeland territory. Not anywhere near as smart as Homeland CAN be but much more action-packed. One of the things I enjoyed about the series was their old school approach to the action. The behind the scenes shorts they used to run when the series was current show how involved and elaborate the stunts/gags were and how each season they got progressively bigger and bolder. And the principal actors are right in the thick of it (actually looked like they had a great time doing so!). In this day and age of CGI its refreshing to see stuff actually blowing up!;)

20. GodShifter

GodShifter Forum Member

I didn’t like Strike Back much at all, but I only got through a few episodes. I’m not encouraged to try again, though.

21. Brenald79

Brenald79 Forum Resident

I've watched up to half way through season 2. I love it, when I'm in the mindset for this type of show.

GodShifter likes this.
  22. alexpop

alexpop Power pop + other bad habits....

Quarry
    Just got season 1 DVD, must admit period detail pretty good so far, later.

Really rate Banshee.
    Anything else great that's current ?

Last edited: May 25, 2018
  23. Lonson

I'm enjoying Season 1 of "Into the Badlands." It's got an odd atmosphere but serious action.

24. alexpop

Prefer Banshee to "Quarry " only seen a few episodes, but the main character Joe Dalasandro lookalike is a bit dumb) great period location.

25. alexpop

Shows like Banshee, Quarry ...they are like b-movies which are usually better than more mainstream films. Have that "cool" factor!!!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.