DCC Archive Circuit City Offerings

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Pat, Oct 24, 2001.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Pat

Pat Forum Detective Thread Starter

Looking through my local Circuit City store here in Tampa I noticed the "Cheaper Version"(of Vintage Music) 10 song Vintage Collectibles series (MCA) going for $4.99 and the "Cheaper Version" Mecury/Polygram 45s on CD series were $5.99 a piece. Not sure if these use the same tapes that were on the originals by Steve Hoffman and Dennis Drake...but if you need any of this stuff, it might be worth a shot!

Also, they had a GOLD DCC sealed disc of Sinatra- Live Concert 1957...so this stuff is still out there in limited quantities if you search hard enough!
    Price on the Sinatra was $27.99, I believe.

[ October 24, 2001: Message edited by: Pat ]

2. Sckott

Sckott Hand Tighten Only.

Neveah, NEVEAH just walk by the cutout bin. Some great stuff awaits those who care to sift gold from the sand.

Oh, and cassettes look like they're hitting the skids too. I'm not sad, much.

3. BradOlson

BradOlson Country/Christian Music Maven

I get plenty of cassettes from thrift shops. I'm not considered an audiophile and as a child, I grew up with cassettes just like some of you grew up with 8-tracks as a child.

4. Pat

Pat Forum Detective Thread Starter

Right-U-R Sckott! I was just killin' a little time there (CC) and in the Easy Listening/Oldies section were some interesting goodies that I may ponder and go back for. All kinds of strange things, like 24 bit Perry Como (Sean Nova mastered) Perry Como...cheap! BMG label..not No-Name stuff... many around $5.00 or so. A bunch of compilations (original songs) and also some Legendary Masters/Capitol comps that are sometimes hard to find. The hunt is half of the thrill for me! :cool:

5. lukpac

lukpac Senior Member

I grew up on tapes...doesn't mean I don't think they suck, though!

6. BradOlson

In the LaserLight/24 bit mastered BMG label owned material series I do have the 3 Chet Atkins discs and they do sound great. I paid $20 in a 3-Pak box at my local Record Town at the time of purchase, now FYE. At a used music store in Duluth, Minnesota out of most CD's I have no interest in, I came across "The Unforgettable Glenn Miller" on RCA mastered in 1985 for $6 used, excellent condition, I bought it and it plays great. I never avoid cutout bins at all and only found one MoFi disc in the FYE ever other than the Blind Faith gold disc when I worked there in high school (it was Record Town then) and the gold disc cutout I came across locally was XTC's "Skylarking" which is a band I haven't ever listened to at all. I didn't pick up the used Pink Floyd MoFi gold discs I came across at my local Disc-Go-Round as I'm not a Pink Floyd fan.

7. Gary

Gary Nauga Gort! Staff

Bradley, I'd pick up those Floyds in a heartbeat if they were UD1's (where do you live again? ;) ).

Anyway maybe I'll share a story with y'all. Went down to Boston two weeks ago. On the way back, I stayed at State College, PA. I love and always check used CD stores - only came across a problem once in my life - and I had the CD resurfaced for .50 cents. Anyway I always look for Alan Parsons, I Robot on MFSL - silver disc. Never any hope, right?

Guess what? It was there - $25.00 USD. It took HEAVY control to NOT scream with joy, WALK to the check out counter and pay for it WITHOUT my hands trembling!

ALWAYS check out used CD shops! Except for the Eastern Seaboard - that's my turf! :D ;) :D ;)

Kidding of course....... would you believe the north eastern seaboard?

G

8. BradOlson

Bemidji, Minnesota is where I live and it for the most part never had a selection of MoFi/DCC gold discs in stock regularly and they have carried the MCA Masterdisc gold discs. They did stock the Metallica gold discs for a while but I am not a fan of that kind of music at all and can get along without it even on DCC. My mother would tell me not to buy any gold disc because of the price. Gordon Lightfoot gold discs if they were to exist would be product I'd definitely buy no matter what my mother would say, especially if they were DCC or MoFi depending on the mastering. For you country fans, since I have 2 copies of the Oak Ridge Boys Have Arrived and only need 1 since I'm also a Lightfoot fan, I'd be willing to trade for the MoFi "Sundown" LP or any of MoFi's country LP's.

[ October 24, 2001: Message edited by: Bradley Olson ]

9. BitShifter

BitShifter New Member

I definitely would have needed resuscitation. Any chance anyone's compared the MoFi with the 24/96 DVD-A version of I Robot? (available from Classic Records). I'd like to get the 24/96 onto a CD if possible, but I'm unsure how to go about downsampling (apart from just going DAD), and whether or not this will completely nullify any benefit the DVD-A has over the stock Arista...

10. Dan

Dan Senior Member

That's funny about State College, PA. I worked there in radio for about a year. GREAT music stores there! I went back for a vist last Summer and picked up the DCC gold of Cream's "Wheels Of Fire" for $20. They even had two copies!

11. Gary

Gary Nauga Gort! Staff

Unfortunately, Bitshifter, I do not have DVD-A capability.

Actually I did not know that a 24/96 DVD-A version of I Robot existed! I asked Steve if DCC would consider doing some Alan Parsons. Steve replied that Mr. Parsons had his own ideas of remastering and was busy working on them. IMO Mr. Parsons made a bad choice on the 1985 CD version of Tales by adding in extra guitar parts, etc. Although it's not perfect, I was really happy to pick up the MFSL version!

Is the Classic 24/96 DVD-A version of I Robot the results of Mr. Parsons work? Or is it someone else's work?

I should check out their website!

[ October 26, 2001: Message edited by: Gary ]

12. BitShifter

BitShifter New Member

I don't have the DAD with me, so I can't check if Parsons supervised it (I think he did), but I thought it sounded excellent when I listened to it on my DVD player. I can't do any A/B comparison since I don't have the MoFi. Of course it sounds better than the stock Arista, but I'm comparing apples and oranges when I compare a 16/44.1 CD-DA with a 24/96 DAD.

I couldn't agree more about the 1985 travesty that was performed on Tales. As much as I may like Mr. Welles and rock guitars, I grew up listening to the original Tales, and as Parsons said himself in the liner notes, "I feel like I'm tampering with Sgt. Pepper's". But he did it anyway :) At least the MoFi version of Tales is the original, but the sound is a bit muddy to me. I prefer the sound that you can master off stock vinyl for Tales; the problem is finding stock vinyl that's in good condition after 25 years...

[ October 26, 2001: Message edited by: BitShifter ]

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.