Citi Analysts Says Apple May Acquire Netflix

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by Vidiot, Jan 1, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. BILLONEEG

BILLONEEG Senior Member

Does anyone here think maybe apple gave orders to a group hidden away somewhere to "Come up with a replacement iTunes, MacOS & iOS" & that's why we're not hearing any updates for the fixes?

2. Vidiot

Vidiot Now in 4K HDR! Thread Starter

Yeah, both Andy and Leo are longtime Mac people going back as far as I do. Andy is still almost an all-Apple guy, but he has problems with the company as well. I think the iMac Pro will to some degree get back some of the pro market, but it's way too expensive (by about 1/3) and it's not expandable enough for me. If I buy another $10,000 computer, it damn well better have the ability to be opened up and tinkered with.

3. Deesky

Deesky Forum Resident

You could also build your own, but of course it would be a PC (or Linux, if you must). You'd end up with a more powerful machine at less than half the cost. That's what I do when I need a new desktop computer.

4. I have two- two and three year old iMacs and they are wonderful. What problems are you having ?

5. Vidiot

A large part of my work centers around delivering Apple ProRes files, so I'm limited to working with machines that can render those. For the moment, that means I'm on Macs.

6. SamS

SamS Forum Legend

Not sure if serious? I'll stick with what I've got, live image from my home office below. A single cable gives me power, Ethernet, Keyboard, Mouse, external drives, basically everything? No VGA, I guess.

Hopefully you'll find something that works as well for you as mine does for me.
    [​IMG]

7. Exit Flagger

Exit Flagger Forum Resident

I don't want to bog the thread down so I'll keep it short...

If such poorly designed and implemented apps such iTunes and what is now called Photos work flawlessly for you than I am certainly envious. The more songs and photos you have in your collection the slower these apps go and the buggier they get.

Not to mention iTunes Sharing/Home Sharing which promised so much when introduced but now are so complicated even Apple support throws up their hands and tells you to subscribe to Apple Music.

Microsoft Office runs like a sloth in OS, although I can't pin that one solely on Apple.

Safari has had a major problem releasing RAM and virtual memory for years now despite Apple's boasting of memory management improvements in Sierra and High Sierra.

The recent software and hardware security revelations have been handled very poorly.

goodiesguy likes this.
  8. PaulKTF

PaulKTF Senior Member

I really miss Steve Jobs...

brownie61 and Mazzy like this.
  9. I keep hearing about iTunes around here and other places. I have a huge digital music library - about 3 TB of lossless music. My main listening is vinyl and I'm not so anal about tagging and such for my library. iTunes works pretty seamlessly for me in terms of music playback. Playlists, genres, and even for CarPlay for the road. So for me with a pretty large library, iTunes does what I personally need it to.

I do agree that iTunes and gotten more complicated and messy than in the past, but it all works fine for me. Not sure that anything is really slower. Its just a library and playback devise for me. Also I do not use iTunes sharing but I have heard problems with that so I'm not an overall defender of the app.

uofmtiger and jupiter8 like this.
  10. Ghostworld

Ghostworld Senior Member

Which version of Pro Rez do you use? HQ? I never know which is best.

On been on a pc for five years, but I use Final Cut Pro. For awhile I thought PC was winning my heart, but then I go back on the Mac to edit and it’s just such a nice clean system. Now I’m back in the Apple camp, I think. Maybe all it takes is one or two system meltdowns and you realize PCs can get annoying.

11. uofmtiger

uofmtiger Forum Resident

Exactly, I don't want a 8 pound laptop that has a bunch of ports that I will never use. I like to sit it down, plug in one cable/dock and have power, drives, mouse, keyboard, and multiple displays available. However, when I am out an about or on the couch, the less weight the better. I want a 15 inch screen, but I want it to be powerful and light. The MBP fits the bill.

The MacBreak Weekly discussion:

Andy Ihnatko hates the keyboard and a good portion of his income comes from writing. I think that is his main issue with the Macbooks, but that is where keyboards are headed because the majority of people also want lighter and thinner laptops. Maybe they should make a laptop with the older squishy keys, but I don't think you can please everyone all the time. Leo has been more pessimistic on Apple since he was banned from all Apple events. Only lately, with the iPhone X has he seemed more bullish. Rene' constantly gets put in the position of defending Apple time and time again and I am sure he gets tired of looking like the cheerleader, but I guess that is why he is on the show. Otherwise, it would just be constant complaining and whining.

The lack of multiple inputs of different types isn't a deal killer for most people, but if you can't use the keyboard and you are a writer, then maybe you have to go with another brand of computer and learn different programs if you have to. When Apple was making tiny 4 inch phones and Android had every single size under the sun available, I thought about switching to Android. Having one manufacturer for an operating system can mean that compromises may be necessary or you have go to another OS. Nothing will change that unless Apple decides to make multiple laptops to fill every want and need on the market. I don't see it happening, though.

sunspot42 likes this.
  12. Chris DeVoe

Chris DeVoe RIP Vickie Mapes Williams (aka Equipoise)

Like Vidiot, I work in video - and I frequently have every single port on my laptop in use, and I don't want to have external docks to be able to do so.

I can understand the desire for a "clean" desktop - one of my Apple clients wanted an office with no visible wires - heck, I even found her a battery powered TV that she puts in her closet to charge between uses!

As far as I can tell, Apple wants lighter and thinner laptops. I call it "design anorexia". The issue is that Apple is the only company that makes a laptop that runs MacOS (leaving aside "Hackintoshs"). Andy chose the Thinkpad because they make a thin and light laptop without sacrificing an acceptable keyboard, but Apple decided that it was worth sacrificing a decent keyboard to shave .5 mm off the thickness of a laptop.

I've been watching his channel for years (I was a Screensavers viewer back in the TechTV days), and Apple's treatment of their reviewers has been dreadful - giving all but four reviewers only a few hours with the iPhone X.

...which I think speaks to his credibility. He honestly likes it in spite of being treated fairly shabbily.

Rene couldn't look more like a cheerleader if you put a pair of pom-poms in his hands.

I do support on Windows and OSX, but honestly, I've been moving my less technical clients over to Chromebooks.

13. uofmtiger

uofmtiger Forum Resident

From my understanding, Leo decided to put up live video of an event after everyone was told they couldn't do that. Not sure how long he will pay for that "mistake", but he is the only person to blame and I am a big fan of his work (the show is utter chaos when he isn't there). Like you, I watched the old CNET cable channel. That being said, he has mostly been down on Apple and complains about not being invited during every event.

Someone on the show, typically Rene, has to represent normal users or at least give Apple's side of the equation. Alex and Andy have specific use cases that don't really apply to most users. While admit it does come off as Rene being a cheerleader, if he jumped in with even more negativity, we might as well just stop watching. Who wants to watch 3 or 4 guys sit around and whine for 2 hours every week? Seems depressing.

I have never wanted a battery powered TV, but I want my laptop to pop in and out of my desktop setup with ease. Having to plug in and unplug tons of cables every time is not as efficient as plugging in one cable. If I had to do all that, I wouldn't bother.

sunspot42 likes this.
  14. sunspot42

sunspot42 Forum Resident

Who in their right mind wants to plug a rat's nest of cables into their laptop? I have to plug in two when I get home - power and mini DisplayPort - and unplug them the next morning, and it drives me nuts.

uofmtiger likes this.
  15. Chris DeVoe

In my case, I need a network cable - I'm moving huge files and I need the speed of a gigabit wired connection. I need USB3 - to move huge files on and off my laptop hard drive. I need two other USB jacks - to connect my Shuttle jog-shuttle knob and my Griffen volume knob. I need a headphone jack - to use my headphones. Oh, and I absolutely need a number keypad.

This is my basic setup for editing, which I do anyplace I can set my laptop. Including a Subway sandwich shop waiting for a broken down bus.

[​IMG]

It's an old laptop, but I've put an SSD for the OS drive, 32 gigs of RAM and a 2 terabyte drive for editing projects.

goodiesguy likes this.
  16. sunspot42

sunspot42 Forum Resident

Wouldn't it be easier to plug everything into a dock and just leave it plugged into the dock, and then plug the dock into the laptop? I mean, you're already carrying around a Best Buy's accessories department...

Mazzy likes this.
  17. This exactly with the new macs. Why include all those docks on a modern laptop when probably less than 5% of users need access to everything at any one time .

A simple accessory solves this.

uofmtiger likes this.
  18. Michael

Michael I LOVE WIDE S-T-E-R-E-O!

hope not! gone will be any bargains... and will we be forced to used Apple based software? FREE? doubtful.

19. Chris DeVoe

Because I would have to carry the dock with me. If you're actually using a laptop as a laptop, that means carrying stuff around and plugging it into the laptop. If I were trying to edit on a MacBook "Pro", I'd need an external drive, plus the jog/shuttle knob, plus the volume control PLUS a dock. Instead, I have ports on my laptop I can plug the extras into.

I create 400+ gigabytes worth of media every single time I shoot a concert, and I'm sure Vidiot is dealing with much bigger files than I am. Our needs are different, and one port is a joke when you live in our world. We're Pros, and a laptop being sold to Pros needs ports.

Last edited: Jan 5, 2018
    goodiesguy and Vidiot like this.
  20. Michael

I dislike Apple software in a big way...why can't they make it easier to move their iphone info to another computer without going through hell? or better yet make it work on multiple PCs...

21. Michael

yea Boardwalk & Park Place with maximum hotels and outrageous rents!

22. I represent professional photographers who obviously need large external backup drives and teather links to cameras. They are also working with high Rez photo shop files on location and are doing just fine with the new pro laptops.

But I guess when you are used to a way of doing things it is hard for some of us to change. I’m guilty of this too in some ways but not with my computers.

uofmtiger and sunspot42 like this.
  23. Chris DeVoe

What? You mean you don't want a computer that requires a set of four suction cups to open?

When I say I work on both PC and Mac, I mean I routinely open both and change hardware. And every time I do that on an iMac, I curse Steve Jobs.

goodiesguy and Deesky like this.
  24. Vidiot

I use whatever the clients want and specify. If it were up to me, I would always use ProRes 444 or 444HQ.

Ah, but not at the same time. Imagine having multiple sockets for everything you needed without an adapter. That to me is what they should have done. (VGA is not a factor, but I'd gladly take multiple Thunderbolt connectors that could be turned into HDMI or DVI.)

In one sentence or less, the problem with Apple is that they have no laptop that works as a "desktop replacement" in the line. All the articles I cited agree with me, and there's some fairly major heavy-hitters there, so this is not a minority opinion. I'm glad your Mac works for you, but some of us need a lot more speed, power, and connectivity.

goodiesguy, Deesky and Chris DeVoe like this.
  25. Ghostworld

Ghostworld Senior Member

I have an 8 year old imac. Sloooow to render, but nobody's waiting for my work!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.