Clapton In The '80s - Letdown or Underrated?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Slokes, Aug 30, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Slokes

Slokes Cruel But Fair Thread Starter

Throughout the 1970s, Eric Clapton established himself as a force to be reckoned with in popular music, with rock fans and on the pop charts. In the 1980s, he suffered a comedown in both departments.

How do you judge Eric's 1980s albums? Are they good in the main, are they somewhat lacking but still decent, or are they weak across the board?

I'm listening to the ones I have now, and noticing that while they are a bit slick, they are also full of blues covers and pop stuff that actually holds up better than stuff I hear on some of his 1970s albums, specifically No Reason To Cry. Behind The Sun is stronger than I remember; Money And Cigarettes, while not as good, surprised me as worthy. I feel like a re-evaluation is in order.

Apologies if there's been a poll - I can't remember one and did a search, but maybe not as complete as I should have...

its ec and zphage like this.
  2. Seederman

Seederman Forum Resident

If I work at it, I can make a solid EP of 80's Clapton songs I need to hear again.

smoke and macdaddysinfo like this.
  3. Myke

Myke Trying Not To Spook The Horse

I completed my Clapton studio album collection a few years back, and I have no regrets. It's been quite a while since I've listened to any, but that's because there are just too damn many things to listen to, and watch here already.

4. Scott S.

Scott S. lead singer for the best indie band on earth

Let's just say he peaked at White Room.

5. Slokes

Slokes Cruel But Fair Thread Starter

It would be fascinating to hear what songs people not otherwise down with '80s Clapton think are good tracks. Are they the hits or blues album cuts? Are there otherwise good songs ruined by production choices or questionable influences? I'd really like to know what is considered the good and bad stuff by the fans and casual listeners alike.

6. Mylene

Mylene Senior Member

Besides Layla his 70s stuff ain't that hot either.

7. Jgirar01

Jgirar01 Forum Resident

Clapton is God! My impression is that he lacks drive and sometimes doesn't appear to love what he is doing. I think the blues albums are great but I could do without things like Wonderful Tonight. Still, I am working on getting a complete collection as there is great stuff all throughout. Betrayed his blues roots is the best option for voting just in one mans opinion.

8. rburly

rburly Sitting comfortably with Item 9

I wholeheartedly agree. Clapton hit his peak in the 60's for me. "Layla" was great, but he dropped to second tier for me after that.

9. marke

marke Forum Resident

As much as I hate to say it, Clapton peaked in the sixties with Bluesbreakers, Cream and Blind Faith. Derek and the Dominoes' Layla was his last truly great album IMO. I own a copy of August but I don't play it that often. I'd put Rod Stewart in the same category of someone with exceptional talent who recorded MOR music in the eighties (and beyond).

Crungy, clayton and Huck Caton like this.
  10. marke

marke Forum Resident

Great minds think alike. :D

Huck Caton and rburly like this.
  11. Mylene

Mylene Senior Member

True. 461 Ocean Blvd is a truly bad album that somehow gets deluxe anniversary editions. When he was writing songs with the guy from Climie Fisher and had all the Nik Kershaw synths at least he was trying something different. From the Cradle making UK #1 was basically the end of his career as an 'interesting' artist.

marke likes this.
  12. Glenn Christense

Glenn Christense Foremost Beatles expert... on my block

Yeah, Eric certainly doesn't need my approval because he's done very well for himself. That being said, it seems like he would like to be anyone BUT himself sometimes after Derek and the Dominoes: Bob Marley, JJ Cale, Don Williams and so on.It seems like he leans on others for soul.
    I've mentioned it before but when it comes to blues playing he approaches things like a music professor from Oxford or something, studiously aping the masters, rather than just letting it rip like the old blues guys.
    When I bought his CD Clapton ( 2010 ) it dawned on me that it was the first music of his in ages that didn't seem like a humorless chore, like he has the weight of blues history on his shoulders taking the fun out of things. He actually seemed loose on Clapton and I found that refreshing.

That being said, I totally respect his work in the Bluesbreakers, Cream and Blind Faith, etc. His place in music history can't be denied. It's just that he lost me after that. I'm gonna guess that he doesn't care though because he never calls or texts me.:D

Last edited: Aug 30, 2014
  13. Lucidae

Lucidae AAD

Umm no, 461 isn't a bad album. It's one of his best solo albums.

14. Mylene

Mylene Senior Member

After Motherless Children it goes downhill real fast. His version of I Shot the Sheriff should be on one of those Ultra Lounge albums next to Vic Damone singing Strange Kind of Woman.

15. Steve626

Steve626 Forum Resident

From Layla to From The Cradle, so-so. Some decent stuff in and amongst the drum machines.

16. reb

reb Money Beats Soul

Voted #2

17. rockledge

rockledge Forum Resident

I think his 70s stuff is some of the very best rock music ever done by anyone, so the 80s would be hard pressed to beat it.
    During the 70s he had some great backing players like Jamie Oldaker.
    The 70s stuff was very creative and original. And the recordings were state of the art excellent.
    During the 80s I don't think he had nearly the quality of musicians backing him, and the late 80s on his music started sounding far too "computer". Even though he still wrote great songs arrangements and produciton on them sounded very generic and sterile and lacked the creativity of albums like Theres One In Every Crowd. The drums and bass on the 70s stuff sounds like you are standing in the room with them listening.
    The great bass and drums sound were gone by the late 80s. They both started sounding more like electronic toys rather than live musicians.
    Too much of his stuff after 1990 sounds digital and lifeless.

danielbravo and dylankicks like this.
  18. rockledge

rockledge Forum Resident

I don't think this is fair. The only difference between him and other rock era musicians in that respect is that he very openly and pointedly gives praise and credit to those who he admires and is influenced by. That is a GOOD thing.
    All songwriters lean on others for inspiration at times. And it is common for artists to do covers of songs by those who they admire once they have an audience.
    If anything Clapton provides other songwriters a huge boost by being able to do better versions of their songs than they themselves did.

19. DrAftershave

DrAftershave A Wizard, A True Star

Underrated, because "She's Waiting" is the best thing he's ever done.*

*with the sole exception of Layla And Other Assorted Love Songs because, seriously...nothing can top that.

Slokes likes this.
  20. Holy Diver

Holy Diver Senior Member

Money and Cigarettes and Behind the Sun are both great.

For the record, 461 rules along with Slowhand.

21. cc--

cc-- Forum Resident

it's possible for it to be one of his best solo albums, yet still a bad album...

Huck Caton and Mylene like this.
  22. Clapton in the 80s: some great songs, usually 2-3 per album. But there aren't any essential Clapton ALBUMS from the 80s, or in any decade beyond. I'd say that "Slowhand" was the last project he did that was consistently interesting all the way through. Reminds me of the Rolling Stones that way. But those few gems on each album are a nice bonus for those who've followed his whole career.

Atmospheric likes this.
  23. Lucidae

Lucidae AAD

If you mean it's not as good as his 60's era stuff then sure... but that doesn't make it bad.

24. PiratesFan

PiratesFan Forum Resident

I only like "Money and Cigarettes" and "Journeyman."

25. Glenn Christense

Glenn Christense Foremost Beatles expert... on my block

I'm not always fair. :D I admit that maybe I feel that way because after reading his book I came away liking him less than before I read the book. He seemed soulless IMO. I had trouble with much of his solo work before I read the book and the book didn't help me gain an appreciation of where he was coming from. I admire the fact that he made JJ Cale money, but I'd rather hear JJ Cale perform JJ Cale songs than Eric Clapton. In my opinion, most of the originals songs are better than his cover versions..AFTER Cream and Blind Faith, etc.
    I totally admit I'd rather hear Eric and Cream blasting out "Crossroads" rather than Robert Johnson. But after that, and this thread is talking about the 80's I'd be hard pressed to think of a cover Eric did that I prefer over the original.
    Besides appearing basically humorless, which I always have trouble with ( my problem, I admit) most times he wants to be known as a bluesman, but then when given the opportunity, he's rudderless "Babyface super sheen urban pop let's make chart hits guy" and as you pointed out, drum machines and digital this and that don't really mix with blues guys in my world.

I guess I give him credit for dabbling in different styles but most of them don't connect with me and that's the bottom line. Much of his music doesn't move me. Whether that's my fault or his, I can't say.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.