Class A headphone amp under $1000

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by smith6552, May 28, 2020.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. smith6552

smith6552 trust the process, not the internet Thread Starter

I'm looking for a good option for a headphone amp under $1000. Set on Class A. Preferably want to hear from people who have actually heard them. Prefer solid state but tubes not out of consideration.

2. ls35a

ls35a Forum Resident

bluemooze and rodentdog like this.
  3. smith6552

Thanks. I've heard good things about it.

4. Glmoneydawg

Glmoneydawg Forum Resident

I've been using a Rudistor nxo3 for a few years now...not even remotely tempted to change.....driving LCD 2 fazors.

bluemooze likes this.
  5. timind

timind phorum rezident

After a few attempts to replace a Nuforce HDP with a better sound, including two tube amps, I'm no longer looking. Off that merry-go-round. No longer in production, but easy to find on ebay.

Dac with class A amp: 6moons audio reviews: Nuforce HDP

bluemooze likes this.
  6. Limelakephoto

Limelakephoto Forum Resident

Original schiit asgaard or schiit valhalla or valhalla 2. Asgaard is very well respected. I have a valhalla 2 and quite like it. I have heard all of them and they are great. All are warm sounding..not gooey tubey sounding. If I were staring from scratch I would pick an asgaard.

rockclassics and bluemooze like this.
  7. Ham Sandwich

Ham Sandwich Senior Member

What headphones do you want to use with the amp?
    A class-A amp to drive Audeze planars is going to be a different class of class-A than an amp to drive 300 ohm or 150 ohm Senns and different than an amp that's asked to drive a low impedance dynamic.

8. AmadeusMozart

AmadeusMozart Forum Resident

Perhaps a good place to ask is on www.head-fi.org?

9. Oatp1b1

Oatp1b1 Forum Resident

Burson Audio makes really good stuff. Their Soloist starts at $499 I think.

slovell likes this.
  10. cjc

cjc Senior Member

Schiit Asgard 2 is one of my favorite Pure Class A headphone amps.

ssmith3046, Ilusndweller and Melvin like this.
  11. smith6552

That's something I'll definitely do. I always forget about that forum.

Thanks for the suggestions everyone. I was hoping to do some research at Axpona this year but that's, unfortunately gonna happen.

12. ssmith3046

ssmith3046 Forum Resident

I really like my Bellari hd540 MKII. Class A, built in Salt Lake City. I'm currently using a Telefunken smooth plate and it sounds great.

GyroSE and ti-triodes like this.
  13. GyroSE

GyroSE Forum Resident

Arriving a little late to the party, sorry for that. I recently got an used Lehmann Black Cube Linear and had time to sit down today to listen for the first time. I've had my good old humble Sennheiser HD600 headphones in its box for many years but I can tell you that from now on they for sure are going to stay out of it.:agree: The Lehmann BCL is a killer sounding headphone amp and when combined with the other gear in my sound system it really brings out the best of both CD's as well as vinyl records. Especially vinyl sounds very good when played through my sound system. If you can find an used Lehmann BCL it's a real bargain that brings the best out of your headphones. Highly recommended!

14. slovell

slovell Retired Mudshark

I've got the Soloist and I'm very pleased with it. Lots of clean power and three gain settings. I also use it as a preamp for my Little Dot II and it does an excellent job .

15. rodentdog

rodentdog Senior Member

There is an Audio GD Master 9 for sale on US Audio Mart for $1000.00. I have one. An end game headphone amp. 9 watts, weighs 32 pounds.

Pappas3278 likes this.
  16. Mike-48

Mike-48 A shadow of my former self

The Auralic Taurus Mk. II runs in Class A. It has been discontinued and sometimes is available on the used market for about $1000. It's solid state.

I have one and enjoy it with Sennheiser HD650 headphones. I am not a headphone guru, so have not tried many different HP amps. Still, I think the Taurus Mk II is very, very good. It's simultaneously smooth, extended, and transparent -- a combination not easy to find in any component.

Jim N. likes this.
  17. Pushpaw

Pushpaw Forum Resident

Graham Slee Solo Ultralinear Diamond Edition is class A I believe.

bluemooze likes this.
  18. Ecki

Ecki Forum Resident

I recommend testing the Musical Fidelity MX-HPA, see Musical Fidelity | MX-HPA Headphone Amplifier
    Inputs are RCA and XLR, i.e. no digital interface here.

There are lots of very positive reviews online, but to share the words of my dealer "this is the best headphone amp below 1.000€". At least a strong hint to really do the test...

Finally, i bought it, using it for Audeze LCD-XC (it HAD to be a closed back HP - the MF can drive the Audeze - and i will build a symmetrical cable for MF - Audeze)

What am i missing here:
    - remote control for volume would be fine
    - it has 2x 3 pin symmetrical connectors for headphones (i.e. one connector per headphone channel)
    (imho a single 4 pin symmetrical connector including both channels is more common - considering the 3rd party symmetrical headphone cables available)

19. all24bits

all24bits Mature Adult

I personally would recommend against that amp. It sounds pretty glarey on vocals. I did not like my experience with it.

20. Ecki

Ecki Forum Resident

In order to clarify my comment on XLR:

The MX-HPA can either handle up to two headphones via stereo jack or one headphone via 3 pin XLR (i.e. two female 3 pin XLR connectors)

21. Bueller

Bueller Forum Resident

I purchased a used Bryston BHA-1 for around $1,000. It has both balanced and RCA inputs, unbalanced 1/4” output, dual 3 pin balanced output, and single 4 pin balanced output. I can run the balanced stereo and unbalanced outputs at the same time with ease with my daughter listening with me. I’m driving Sen HD 800s and Mr. Speakers Ether Flow C.
    Highly recommended if you can find one in your price range.

Bueller

Matt Richardson and elvisizer like this.
  22. Opeth

Opeth Forum Resident

What headphones and dac ?

23. all24bits

all24bits Mature Adult

I used a LH Labs Go2Pro and a variety of headphones from Senn 600, LCD 2 and LCD 3. Can't remember what else I used. I think the Nighthawks were fine.

24. smith6552

Thanks guys for all the responses. You gave me a lot to research and consider.

25. Batty

Batty Forum Resident

I don't know what you are like at DIY, but I made one of these Noir Headphone Amplifier absolutely love it, can be used as a pre too as it has pre outs.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.