Classe Audio Revived! (Classe NOT closing it's doors on October 6 . See Post #38)*

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by Threshold, Sep 28, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Don Parkhurst

Don Parkhurst Forum Resident

It had a DR-5 preamp with a DR-8 power amp for years. Bought it brand new back in 1988 or 1989. Fabulous stuff. Was the very first transistor gear that I heard that had similar warmth and richness of some tube gear. Very musical.

Dave likes this.
  2. samurai

samurai Step right up! See the glory, of the royal scam.

Once owned a Classe CA300, built like a tank.
    Sad to see them go.

3. John Woo

John Woo Well-Known Member

had a Classe CA400 for 6 months, gives a rather tuby sound but with weight and presence.
    the DC protect failed n blew both of woofers at once, got it repaired and no further issue after.
    decided to sell it after i swapped to speakers requiring less driving power
    and opted for a vintage Phase Linear 400 and not hearing any "lack" despite its 1/2 the power of the CA400.

4. Bathory

Bathory 30 yr Single Malt, not just for breakfast anymore

Rip. Older amps were monsters, and superb quality.

Dave likes this.
  5. Threshold

Threshold Well-Known Member Thread Starter

Some buy out's turned out disasters Thiel and Classe. But on the plus side Conrad Johnson is looking very good.

6. xcqn

xcqn Audiophile

I'm very happy with my Delta 2100

Sad to see them go.

7. MikeJedi

MikeJedi Forum Resident

Ugh they definitely had a nice sound That sux

8. coopmv

coopmv Newton 1/30/2001 - 8/31/2011

There used to be a Canadian speakers company named Mirage. Did it go out of business as well?

Not surprising as the market really is having tough times supporting all these makers of high-end, full-sized and pricey audio components since the millennials, the current dominant generation, have little interests in non-portable audio gears. Their top priorities are convenience and portability. Good sound does not count for much if their top priorities are not met ... :shake::(

Dave likes this.
  9. Warren Jarrett

Warren Jarrett Audio Note (UK) dealer in SoCal/LA-OC In Memoriam

Classe was one of my favorite brands of solid state equipment, during its DR model days. I am sorry to see the brand go.

Satrus and Dave like this.
  10. coopmv

Didn't it move all its production to China and that drastic costs reduction was not able to prevent its demise?

11. dividebytube

dividebytube Forum Resident

Too bad - Classe was one of the amp makers I remember reading about in Stereophile when I first got into this hobby. I've come close to buying their gear since it is supposed to enjoyable as a good tube amp.

12. head_unit

head_unit Senior Member

+1

13. jon9091

jon9091 Master Of Reality

It seems that Classé has been given new life.

In May of 2016, Bowers & Wilkins (B&W) was sold to EVA Automation in a deal that included Classé Audio and the US distribution of Rotel Electronics. Since then, production and distribution of B&W and Rotel products has continued but not so for Classé. Initially, the new management announced that production and distribution of current products would continue but that all newly announced products, prototypes of which had been shown at the previous CEDIA, would be put on hold. However, in July of 2016, Classé operations in Montreal were shut down and all employees, including President Dave Nauber, were let go. Apparently, several efforts to sell to the company had failed.

Today at the CES in Las Vegas, it was announced that Sound United (Denon, Marantz, Polk Audio, Definitive Technology, Polk BOOM, HEOS, and Boston Acoustics) had acquired Classé Audio and that operations would be resumed under the leadership of Dave Nauber.

This looks like it will be an excellent marriage between Sound United's existing range of products and technologies and an iconic high-end brand. It will give Sound United the opportunity to expand and to increase "its footprint in the consumer audio space." Perhaps equally significant is that it will provide Classé Audio with access to product-sourcing and the kind of technological development, particularly in DSP and networking, that only a large entity like Sound United can offer.

Nauber says "it's a great outcome from what was turning into a complete debacle" and that he is "beaming with optimism." He is now busy reassembling the design team in Montreal but he will be at CES this week at Sound United's suite at the Venetian Hotel.

Read more at Classé Audio Revived

Gavinyl, Satrus, reapers and 6 others like this.
  14. coopmv

Didn't Classé Audio only do product design in Canada but all manufacturing had been done in China before it closed its door?

15. Mike-48

Mike-48 A shadow of my former self

Jon, Thanks for posting this! It is good news to Classé owners who were hoping for the new products.

jon9091 likes this.
  16. jon9091

jon9091 Master Of Reality

I don’t know the specifics, Stuart....just passing on a news nugget I ran across.

17. SquishySounds

SquishySounds Yo mama so fat Thanos had to snap twice.

I would be shocked if it was any other way

18. coopmv

Mac is still doing everything in Binghamton NY.

19. Mike-48

Mike-48 A shadow of my former self

Dave Nauber is quoted as saying the design will remain in Canada and that
    We will move manufacturing to a specialty high-end electronics manufacturing facility in Shirakawa Japan where some of the higher-end Marantz is built. It's a relatively small facility so we hope to consume quite a bit of its excess capacity. ​

20. Bubbamike

Bubbamike Forum Resident

Sound United is owned by DEI, named for it's owner, Congressman Darrell Issa. A rags to riches story.

21. Sneaky Pete

Sneaky Pete Flat the 5 and That’s No Jive

Mainly amassed a fortune making car alarms, but also did well with CB radio components and bug zappers.

I don’t want my amp to sound like a car alarm or a bug zapper. :)

Seriously though I wish them success. I hope the brand quality can be maintained.

22. coopmv

Made in Japan is always a big plus! I can never bring myself to pay top dollars for a component made in places where there is no good quality control ...

23. ThorensSme

ThorensSme Forum Resident

My friends Classe Cap-2100 integrated was made in Canada, not China. That was part of the Delta series I think, so presume all of that series at least were made in Canada.

Dave likes this.
  24. coopmv

With McIntosh, while you have to pay up for its components, at least they are all American-made ...

25. ThorensSme

ThorensSme Forum Resident

McIntosh is an American company, I respect and admire that they are still up there in NY. Classe is a Canadian company. Not sure what your point is here.

Slimwhit33 likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.