Classic Album series

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by White_Noise, Mar 7, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. White_Noise

White_Noise Forum Resident Thread Starter

I just discovered this series that a lot of you are probably familiar, but just in case you aren't, most are available online or on Netflix. Here's a thread on Metafilter that brought it to my attention:
    http://www.metafilter.com/125544/Classic-Albums-covering-3-decades-of-popular-music

I was already familiar with the history behind a lot of these albums, but the documentaries are remarkably well done and the best parts are when the sound engineer/producer of the albums sits down behind the mixing board and highlights specific tracks that make something special, ex, how the base and drum interlock on a certain song, etc.

The best ones out of the lot are the one on The Band's s/t, Elton John's Yellow Brick Road, and Jimi's Electric Ladyland.

2. RoyalScam

RoyalScam Luckless Pedestrian

"I Wish" the Stevie Wonder Songs In The Key of Life episode was available on Netflix. Many are missing, actually.

3. White_Noise

White_Noise Forum Resident Thread Starter

Yeah, netflix is missing a lot of them unfortunately. They are available other places online. I ended up streaming the Key of Life episode to my PS3 from my PC via Playstation Media Server so I could watch it on my tv.

I would kill for an episode on The Queen is Dead. If anyone knows of a doc on the making of that album or the Smiths in general, lemme know

4. lugnut2099

lugnut2099 Forum Resident

Is there a complete list of these anywhere? I've loved the series since it used to run (maybe still does) on VH1 Classic, so finding the uncut/extended DVD versions on Netflix was fun. Interestingly enough, I've noticed that Netflix actually has several of these that you can't find by searching "Classic Albums" (for instance, the CA episode for Nirvana's Nevermind is there but without the CA title attached). I still haven't checked out all of the Netflix offerings, but I always wondered how many were done in total since I'm sure VH1C never aired all of them either (and if there's more of these hiding on Netflix).

5. SoundAdvice

SoundAdvice Senior Member

6. Silver Surfer

Silver Surfer Love Is Understanding

Came to this series late myself. Last fall was able to score a bunch of these on dvd for $2.99 each. Lots of great info and interviews. These will be definitive documents one day.

7. gottafeelin

gottafeelin Forum Resident

Def Lepperd Hysteria was also good. I liked the album as a kid and had no idea the amount of turmoil that went into creating it.

8. timw

timw Senior Member

Great series! I was able to watch some of these on Youtube. Just search "Classic albums"

jeffrey walsh likes this.
  9. Roninblues

Roninblues 猿も木から落ちる。

10. ReadySteady

ReadySteady Custom Title

The one on Steely Dan's Aja is really good, as is Motorhead's Ace of Spades. "Philthy Animal" is a hoot! :laugh:

Man at C&A, head_unit and One Louder like this.
  11. Jeffrey_T

Jeffrey_T Active Member

I absolutely love this series. I own the "Face Value", "Dark Side of the Moon", "A Night at the Opera" and "Plastic Ono Band" DVDs and have seen many more. Always interesting and sometimes just outstanding. I think my favorite is Plastic Ono Band. Ringo and Klaus and Yoko are all interviewed especially for it. And "Aja" is great fun and really shows what perfectionists Dan & Walter are.

12. 8tracks

8tracks Forum Addict

I also love this series. I can't pick a favorite episode, but can say the Steely Dan Aja one induced the most laughs. I crack up every time I think of D&W playing the the failed guitar auditions, isolating Michael McDonald's "Peg" vocals, etc.

drasil and Jeffrey_T like this.
  13. ROLO46

ROLO46 Forum Resident

These turn up on BBC4,always watchable even if you hate the band!
    Wish you were Here was on recently
    Hearing the tracks in isolation at Abbey Rd with the original Recording Engineer(Brian Humphries) was pure magic.
    Is it a Castle Rock show ? with some BBC input ?

ringosshed likes this.
  14. Jeffrey_T

Jeffrey_T Active Member

Close :) Eagle Rock. Here's their U.S. site listing of the titles still in print. Some are on Blu-ray now also. http://eaglerockent.com/search_products.asp?stext=Classic Albums

I'm pretty sure I've seen the BBC logo on most of them too. Here in the states, VH1 used to show them sometimes. I remember seeing the Rumours episode there, which I also own and forgot to include in my previous post :)

15. spanky1

spanky1 Forum Resident

Watching Don and Walt "rap" the intro to BLACK COW is pretty darned funny, particularly when you read the history behind it's unauthorized use as a sample fpr a rap song.

16. Nostaljack

Nostaljack Resident R&B enthusiast

They got the last laugh on that one. I just checked the ASCAP library and they have sole writing credit on the tune and, thus, all the publishing. LOL! Bad move, gentlemen...

Ed

spanky1 likes this.
  17. davenav

davenav High Plains Grifter

I saw the ones on Who's Next and Rumours this weekend, on BBCAmerica. I love it when they isolate tracks. Outstanding.

18. barnaby

barnaby Forum Resident

One of the few "episodes" I've seen from the series and it was really great.

19. My fave is the one on the Sex Pistols' Never Mind The Bollocks - serves well as a capsule history of the band, and the track isolation bits might be an eye-opener for some of their detractors. Also amazing is that they got both Malcolm Mclaren and John Lydon to participate!

20. RoyalScam

RoyalScam Luckless Pedestrian

I've since "found" it online. Really an excellent episode.

barnaby likes this.
  21. barnaby

barnaby Forum Resident

Great!

22. Quadboy

Quadboy Forum Resident

is it correct that the DVD release of this episode is actually extended compared to the TV showing?
    have any other episodes been extended when released as DVD's?
    my favourite DVD,Who's Next contains nothing extra.

23. Dillydipper

Dillydipper Space-Age luddite

And, straight outta left field - Ian Dury shows up!

Now playing on Ariel Stream: Melissa Etheridge - How Would I Know

24. Dillydipper

Dillydipper Space-Age luddite

I would SOOOO love to use that as a ringtone...! :laugh:

Now playing on Ariel Stream: Zucchero - Glory

25. tommy-thewho

tommy-thewho Senior Member

Would love to see the Deep Purple - Machine Head one.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.