Classic Hip Hop Year-By-Year: 1986-1995

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by kanno1ae, Mar 15, 2017.

1. ModernDayWarrior

ModernDayWarrior Senior Member

That's what I thought as well. I also think they may not have any control over their Def Jam material. I could be wrong though.

EVOLVIST likes this.
  2. parman

parman Music Junkie

I can't add much to this thread but I did like the early stuff you're talking about. It was new and fun, I thought it had something fresh to offer but I lost interest by the 90's

3. kanno1ae

kanno1ae Forum Resident Thread Starter

Highly possible. For those who know the album but not the back story of why they left Def Jam, Russell wanted them to do a follow up with the same type of songs, but they weren't interested in doing more of the same frat/party rap. It's also documented that Russell was withholding $2M in royalty checks, and they were not happy about it. As a result of this, as well as other things, they broke their contract, moving to Capitol, which we will talk more about when 1989 comes up for discussion.

ModernDayWarrior likes this.
  4. hayden10538

hayden10538 Well-Known Member

Over here in the UK the chart was full of rap. Poppy type songs, such as DJ Jazzy Jeff And The Fresh Prince's Girls Aint Nothing But Trouble, Lovebug Starski's Amityville (House On The Hill), Whistle's (Nothing Serious) Just Buggin', Run DMC's You Be Illin', Walk This Way and It's Tricky, Mantronix's Bassline and Ladies, and Sir Mix-A-Lot's frankly bizarre Square Dance Rap all became UK hits.

Essential listening were the Electro series of albums released by the Street Sounds label:

Street Sounds

On the radio, we had DJ Mike Allen who's National Fresh show was required listening. Sadly Mike passed away a couple of years ago:

Tributes paid to radio “boss” Mike Allen

I remember buying a rather large 'Ghetto Blaster' and annoying shoppers in my local high street as I blasted out Run DMC's Raising Hell at full volume, and fearing the wrath of the Fashion Police as my step brother and I paraded about in our 'Fresh' new shell suits.

But the biggest event of the year was a live concert called UK Fresh '86. held at Wembley Arena, it featured some of Rap's biggest stars!

UK Fresh 86 - Mike Allen Capital Radio

Ah great days! Wish I could go back there!

:edthumbs:

5. djej

djej Forum Resident

Yeah, I'm not sure why the non-"stuttering" version of "I Need A Beat" was relegated to the 12" only. I prefer it. The "Rock The Bells" remix hits harder, but I love the line in the original (also on 12" only, although I've read it made it onto a Def Jam comp in the late '90s/early '00s):

Exterminating crews with my manuscript
    And the best thing you wrote was a bunch of bullsh*t

6. kanno1ae

I love the UK perspective! DJ Jazzy Jeff & The Fresh Prince have always been a favorite group of mine, and I had never heard the UK 7" version of "Girls Ain't Nothing But Trouble" until just about a month ago. I recently bought a UK compilation CD from the mid-'80s called The Dance Chart, and I was pleasantly surprised to hear the 7" Laidley & Oakenfold Mix. Coincidentally, Will Smith and Jeff Townes would spend the following year (1987) in the UK recording their follow up LP, which we will get to shortly :) I presume this is also where they re-recorded the vocals for the updated and remixed "Girls Ain't Nothing But Trouble" (which was re-released as a single in 1988).

Maniacon \m/ likes this.
  7. kanno1ae

Cool site! I wish the shows were available to listen to, but at least the webmaster has listed out the tracks he played each week. Great stuff!

8. kanno1ae

Glad to see you posting here @djej! Presumably it was to show off the skills of LL's DJ, Cut Creator. The "remix" that appears on Radio is not really a remix at all. Rather, it's Cut Creator cutting up two copies of the 12" single. Correct me if I'm wrong, but that 12" was the first single ever released on the newly-formed Def Jam label (DJ001). For those wanting the original version on CD, it finally appeared on this Def Jam compilation in 2009 from the master tape: Def Jam 25: DJ Bring That Back - Various Artists | Songs, Reviews, Credits | AllMusic . Prior to that, it was available on a rare Japanese Def Jam compilation but taken from vinyl.

C6H12O6, VH3FAN and Maniacon \m/ like this.
  9. profholt82

profholt82 Resident Blowhard

[​IMG]
    Admittedly, Erik B's extended turntablisms are difficult to sit through nowadays, but Rakim's rhymes and silky smooth delivery established him among the elite on the Mt. Rushmore of hip-hop/rap. This record was on a level by itself in 1987.

I'm the R the A to the K-I-M, if I wasn't then why would I say I am?

10. kanno1ae

Here's another '86 classic! Casual hip-hop listeners may only know Biz Markie as a one-hit wonder from his 1989 top 10 hit "Just A Friend." Three years earlier, though, he recorded his debut single with now-famous producer Marley Marl, "Make The Music With Your Mouth, Biz."

Little known fact: Marley made two mixes of "Make The Music With Your Mouth, Biz" for the debut 12" & EP. The first mix is seldom heard, and not many people know about it. To my knowledge, the only place it has appeared is on the 12" copy of the single. You specifically have to find one that has 12" SINGLE printed in the top left corner of the cover and not the more common pressing that has "EP" printed on the cover. The track listing is the same on both, but the mixes differ on some of the tracks.

11. Maniacon \m/

Maniacon \m/ Forum Resident

I had the Biz's Pickin Boogers 12" which was my first 12" hip-hop single. It had a 'dub' version on it... I had no friggin idea what a dub version was!

kanno1ae likes this.
  12. inaptitude

inaptitude Forum Resident

kanno1ae likes this.
  13. hayden10538

hayden10538 Well-Known Member

kanno1ae likes this.
  14. kanno1ae

Hilarious song! Had you heard the record prior to buying it, or did you pick it up just because of the song title?

15. Drotz1

Drotz1 Forum Resident

for me, the early rap and current rap is like rick n roll becoming "hair metal" in 80s. not a great progression.

16. Maniacon \m/

Maniacon \m/ Forum Resident

I heard it coming from a car & asked who it was, since it was all new to this suburban metal kid. The hiphop revolution was really an amazing time. Like nearly every other old school head, it's kind of sad for me to see what it has become.

kanno1ae likes this.
  17. kanno1ae

Listening to the show in your link now. Nostalgic! Funny to hear a smooth-talking British dude saying the weather and introducing a hip hop show. I'm listening to his "Allen's Army" countdown segment of the show. The most requested song that week is "Square Dance Rap" by Sir Mix-A-Lot, and he plays a remix I hadn't ever heard before.

Last edited: Mar 15, 2017
  18. Tanx

Tanx Forum Resident

19. kanno1ae

Sadly, this has never been officially issued on CD or even reissued on vinyl. It's my understanding Doug E. Fresh has his masters but doesn't license them. Whenever the song "The Show" appears on CD, they always cut out the Beatles interpolation of "Michelle." There must've been some legal troubles that prompted them to take a razor blade to the tape.

EDIT: Now that I've mentioned the Beatles, SHTV forum members should come flocking to this thread.

Last edited: Mar 15, 2017
    ianuaditis, havenz and Tanx like this.
  20. RudolphS

RudolphS Forum Resident

Favorite hiphop albums 1986:
    01. Beastie Boys - Licensed To Ill
    02. Schoolly D - Schoolly D
    03. Run DMC - Raising Hell

Favorite tracks:
    01. Beastie Boys - Fight For Your Right
    02. Run DMC - Raising Hell
    03. Schoolly D - Free Style Rapping
    04. Stetsasonic - 4 Ever My Beat
    05. Roxanne Shanté - The Def Fresh Crew

21. Tanx

Tanx Forum Resident

22. SITKOL'76

SITKOL'76 Forum Resident

Are going year by year? I'm more a fan of 90's Hip-hop. Outside of maybe N.W.A. I'm not familiar with the genre in the 80's. Hip-hop gets really good when conscious rap gets into the picture. Groups like The Pharcyde, Digable Planets, A Tribe Called Quest and rappers like Mad are the best of Hip-hop to me and they all are from the 90's.

Jarvius, Naughty Chord and kanno1ae like this.
  23. Tanx

Tanx Forum Resident

1987 is a really great y ear. I keep starting to post links here and then realize they're just a little too early.

I have to admit my favorite hiphop era had already come and gone by the mid-'80s, though...it's interesting to see what era spoke to people and why.

Naughty Chord and kanno1ae like this.
  24. Tanx

Tanx Forum Resident

Can I sneak in some go-go? Sure, why not... Rick Rubin produced these guys, who were young kids at the time.

kanno1ae likes this.
  25. kanno1ae

Yeah, going year-by-year to keep some chronology to the thread. ATCQ, Pharcyde, Digable Planets, De La Soul, etc., are the groups and style of hip-hop I gravitate toward, so I'm anxious to get to 1989. But there's still some great stuff that came out in '87 and '88 that we can't skip over.

SITKOL'76 likes this.