Classic MTV Returns!

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by mr_mjb1960, Jul 20, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Bowieboy

Bowieboy Forum Resident

no disagreement from me, but you know how greedy they get. Even though IMO people do want to watch footage of MTV from 1985 to actually see MTV from 1985 instead of commercials, vj banter and 7 seconds of a Duran Duran video lol

2. agaraffa

agaraffa Senior Member

Oh my god! She looks amazing! I was born in 69' so I was going through puberty when I was an avid MTV watcher during those first few years, and god did I have a thing for her! Happy to see she's aged so well. :love:

MikaelaArsenault and MikeInFla like this.
  3. PaulKTF

PaulKTF Senior Member

Va-va-voom! She looks outstanding! Whatever she's doing (or not doing) is working! :)

MikeInFla likes this.
  4. Stuart S

Stuart S Back Jack

I still have "We Dont Talk Anymore- by Cliff Richard" running in my head since 8/1.

Worked back then, and it still works now!

ps- including the falsettos

5. OnTheRoad

OnTheRoad Not of this world

The time has come and gone....

To everything there is a season....

turn, turn, turn the channel

6. bartels76

bartels76 Forum Hall Of Fame

Man this network quickly became a disappointment. No more Unplugged, Real World, or Road Rules. It's all just blocks of videos and a movie. I don't get it. It had so much potential. Are they running into music rights issues?

MikaelaArsenault likes this.
  7. PaulKTF

PaulKTF Senior Member

Don't they own all the Unplugged/Road Rules/Real World footage? Maybe they get better ratings by just running music videos and movies?

Texastoyz and MikaelaArsenault like this.
  8. bartels76

They own the footage but all the original music was replaced for RW and RR with generic sound alike stuff. I don't know if they have to pay royalties airing 25 year old Unplugged shows. It's funny that they phased out videos as they got higher ratings in the 90's airing shows and now maybe the tables are turned. This network might not even be rated yet so who knows what they are basing what is working or not. Some smaller networks don't guarantee ratings for advertisers and make their money off Direct Response.

9. Lord Summerisle

Lord Summerisle Forum Resident

It is of its time. The World moved on long ago.

10. JoeD

JoeD Forum Resident

Who knows? It's a minor standard definition channel so they are probably putting very little effort and money into programming it. Ad Age even claims its "TV's lowest-rated nationally-distributed English-language network":
    Small Change: Why Niche Cable Nets Are on Their Last Legs

I can't say I'm surprised. All of Viacom's channels are run very poorly and are a shell of their former selves. Viacom has been floundering for a while now and their share price has plunged nearly 50 percent in the last couple of years. This is why when cable operators have dropped their channels, very few people have complained. And they continue doing stupid stuff: recently they pulled all their content from Hulu and have inexplicably renamed Spike to the Paramount Network.

sunspot42 and MikaelaArsenault like this.
  11. Solitaire1

Solitaire1 Carpenters Fan

Synthetic sounding "Ooooooooooooooooooo."

12. ky658

ky658 Senior Member

They are quickly realizing that very few people tune in to their music channels anymore because everything is available online, which, if they didn't have their heads buried in the sand 15 years ago, we would be watching MTV Tube instead of YouTube for all that stuff. They are too late to the dance.

13. Texastoyz

Texastoyz Forum Resident

I know I would watch more if they filled it up more with videos. Too bad they are in SD.

sunspot42 likes this.
  14. bartels76

It is all videos now.

15. Texastoyz

Texastoyz Forum Resident

Really, wow, I'll be checking out certain hour blocks more.

16. The Panda

The Panda Forum Mutant

I used to watch so religiously into mid 80's. I'm ashamed to admit I thought Martha was cute.
    But it was like you were dating a girl in high school and she had something that just got on your nerves more and more, like bad breath or whining. After her live aid performance, I couldn't stand her any more.

17. RockWizard

RockWizard Forum Resident

I hardly watch it anymore. Too much "Yo" crap and 90's videos. Shame they can't show the stuff they used to show. How many of us are up in the early AM hours to watch classic videos? I know....the ones NOT working for a living. Was so excited when the change was announced. Now.................nah.

jsayers likes this.
  18. paste

paste Forum Resident

On the Original VJs' Facebook page, they have been posting a lot of hour + long blocks of MTV footage from 1980s. A lot of the stuff has been around for awhile via tape trading/private torrents, but it is cool to see them sharing it with a larger audience.

This link should take you to 6 full hours of MTV from 1982.

19. MikaelaArsenault

MikaelaArsenault Forum Resident

Why are the shows gone now?

20. Texastoyz

Texastoyz Forum Resident

Maybe the ratings for those were actually lower than the video blocks.

MikaelaArsenault and sunspot42 like this.
  21. bartels76

22. bartels76

I felt they were just getting started and then quit. They never busted out the old concerts, VMA's, and didn't dip into more shows like Remote Control, Just Say Julie, etc. They became stale within a few months.

23. MikaelaArsenault

MikaelaArsenault Forum Resident

I'm not surprised by that at all.

24. ky658

ky658 Senior Member

Somebody got that from an old VHS aircheck tape we used to record back then (with burned in time code). The only place we used to send them to was Hawaii, because they couldn't reach our satellite at the time.

25. SonOfAlerik

SonOfAlerik Forum Resident

I keep watching those for Deep Purple news and bits. lol. Found a few so far.

BluesOvertookMe likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.