"Classic TV" - why are so many shows neglected?

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by lv70smusic, May 18, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ACK!

ACK! Senior Member

Or how about when Robin remarks that Batgirl looks very beautiful when she sleeps and Batman proudly tells him he's getting his first "thrust" of manhood.

2. John Oteri

John Oteri New Member In Memoriam

Which "John" was it, bub?
    I know I was at your wedding, but...
    and speaking of which...Occassional Wife was a great show.

3. Steve Hoffman

Steve Hoffman Your host Your Host

I don't think anyone remembers OCCASIONAL WIFE but us. It was on NBC sometime in the late 1960's I guess. Michael Callen and Pat Harty, right? I had a big crush on her. I remember when I first started working at Universal and I took a short cut through the TV casting office on my mail route. I came OUT of the casting door into the waiting room (mainly to look at the cute girls) and I spotted Patrica Harty sitting there waiting to do an audition. I walked right up to her and told her I loved her in Occasional Wife. The look on her face was priceless; I don't think anyone ever said that to her before! The casting lady heard me and called her in next. I think her stock went up after my comment. I probably could have had a date with her if I hadn't been so friggin' shy...

4. John Oteri

John Oteri New Member In Memoriam

Date---schmate! You could've made her your OCCASIONAL WIFE!!!!!
    :goodie:

5. Joel Cairo

Joel Cairo Video Gort / Paiute Warrior Staff

Yes, but who wants to be a BACHELOR FATHER with an ACCIDENTAL FAMILY? :D

(Man, about **two** people in the universe are gonna get those references...)

-Kevin

6. Michael

Michael I LOVE WIDE S-T-E-R-E-O!

Three;) :D

7. Steve Hoffman

I had a crush on Noreen. The way she said "Uncle Bentley"... What was her name in the series, I forgot? And Sammy Tong, he was also the voice of the professor in the dubbed Godzilla, the one who kept saying "and this phenonomem" instead of phenomenon..

8. Joel Cairo

Noreen Corcoran played "Uncle Bentley's" niece, Kelly [Gregg].

And she was a cutie, alright... :)

-Kevin

Attached Files:

9. Steve Hoffman

Thanks for that picture, Kevin. There is old Sammy Tong!

10. Phantom409

Phantom409 New Member

Steve:

"I for one (being older than most on this thread I guess) would like to see shows that I have not seen since I was tiny:
    >
    >
    My Little Margie"

There are two nice, attractively priced collections of MY LITTLE MARGIE available from VCI - a "public domain" company that has an interesting catalog of releases. imho, VCI has the best quality of all of the "public domain" companies out there. Each volume - with 12 episodes - is available for $13.95 from Deep Discount DVD.

I have the first volume, which I ordered because of the bit Robert Klein did on the show on his "Child of the Fifties" album. The show is as weird as Klein described it.

There are a bunch of semi-forgotten sixties shows I would like to see again or for the first time. HE AND SHE would be at the top of the list along with MY WORLD AND WELCOME TO IT. I'd also like to see LOVE ON A ROOFTOP (with Pete Duel, Judy Carne, and Rich Little), RUN, BUDDY, RUN (with west coast jazz great Jack Sheldon), CAPTAIN NICE, and the much maligned PRUITTS OF SOUTHAMPTON (what a great theme song!).

11. Steve Hoffman

Erik,

I know that Robert Klein sketch you speak of.

"Margie, where are my balls?"

That cracked me up the first time I heard it. I watched My Little Margie when it ran endlessly in syndication in the 1960's.

Those other shows you mention I'd love to see again as well, especially Love On A Rooftop.

By the way, I got to know Gale Storm in the 1980's when I reissued some of her songs on LP. A very nice lady.

12. ZIPGUN99

ZIPGUN99 Active Member

Wasn't there a "Blondie" series, with Pat Harty and Will Hutchins as Dagwood? This thread triggered a image in my mind of Dagwood zooming through the house like the tazmanian devil to jump on the couch and go to sleep.

13. Joel Cairo

Yes-- "Blondie" was on CBS in the fall of 1968.

As an added note, Jim Backus played Mr. Dithers in that short-lived series.

-Kevin

14. Tom Daly

Tom Daly Forum Resident

Steve,

I have been researching some old TV shows and why they haven't been shown since initial network broadcasts. Desilu was astute enough to film "I Love Lucy," which is why it's rerun ad infinitum. "Sea Hunt" "Highway Patol" and "Fury" were also produced on film. Revue did the same with "Leave It to Beaver," but "The Life of Riley," "I Married Joan," and "December Bride" were undoubtedly kinescoped. Many kinescopes, which were of fairly poor quality, may not have survived. I've recently seen some "Amos n' Andy" footage (filmed at Revue) that looks excellent, though.

Some shows that don't turn up in reruns may have something to do with rights options. I've heard of shows being optioned for broadcast through syndication, yet the options are never exercised. This keeps the shows "in limbo" until the options expire or the company holding the option terminates it or the individual holding the option dies. This is the typical corporate BS that has dominated the entertainment industry since Edison dictated "Mary Had a Little Lamb" and his employees tried to stifle his competition by using patent licensing against independent and maverick filmmakers.

15. Joel Cairo

It's possible that there was an early version of "The Life of Riley" that was kinescoped (Gleason's?), but the versions of "December Bride" and "I Married Joan" that I have seen quite definitely originated from film.

-Kevin/JC

16. ACK!

ACK! Senior Member

What is interesting are the "lost" episodes of The Honeymooners that surfaced in the mid-'80s. They took sketches of varying lengths shot on kinescope and tried to fit them into half-hour shows. In some cases, you'd get two stories squeezed into one episode or one story spread out over two episodes.

I think the "Classic 39" episodes of The Honeymooners hold up better because they were shot as half-hour shows and if I recall, there were no two-part episodes.

Of course, it's great to have the "lost" episodes because after years of watching the same 39 episodes, it was "new" stuff to someone like me, who wasn't even around when the originals aired.

17. chip-hp

chip-hp Cool Cat

Are there any high quality DVDs of "Amos n' Andy"? ...

18. TimM

TimM Senior Member

There are still a lot of shows from my misspent youth that I would love to see on DVD.

Combat
    The Rifleman
    Hawaii Five-O
    Patty Duke
    The Donna Reed Show
    My Three Sons
    Voyage To The Bottom Of The Sea
    Sea Hunt
    Burkes Law
    Honey West
    I know they wouldn't all warrant complete season treatments, but maybe some best of discs at least. After all, Mr. Ed and and Green Acres made it. :)

19. Michael

I forgot which one, there's a free Donna Reed 2 episode DVD in a cereal box, check your local Supermarket!

There are presently 8 volumes of the Rifleman available on DVD in nice quality!

Season 1 (in 2 volumes) of Combat is coming in the near future!

Burke's Law...A few episodes are available on a PD DVD set of TV Detective series on Platinum Disc Corporation...Check the Walmart bin!...quality is fair.

20. TimM

TimM Senior Member

Thanks Michael, I'll look into all of those,none of which I knew about. :)

21. Michael

I keep a tight tab on upcoming TV on DVD! If there's anything else your looking for, post it and I'll check for ya:)

22. Steve Hoffman

Combat on DVD? I can't imagine watching episode after episode of them demolishing the back lot of MGM or Griffith Park...

23. Michael

...well, as a youngsters, we didn't know that:)...Or did you?:laugh:I remember playing Combat as a kid...:thumbsup:

24. Steve Hoffman

You know how I knew that, Michael? I remember there was some kind of "special" on COMBAT and THE GALLANT MEN (remember that one?) on TV. It was reporting on nostalgia (although that was not the word they used) regarding all things WWII. The reporter talked about how the old "crumbling" European street sets on the back lot of MGM were constantly being blown up and being rebuilt again for COMBAT. That fascinated the hell out of me as a kid.

25. TimM

TimM Senior Member

Well, it may be a little hard to take in that big of a dose, but I'm a child of the sixties so it is part of my memories of that era. I spent countless hours playing Combat with my official machine gun, helmet and canteen. :)
    Shows like The Man From UNCLE, The Monkees, Get Smart and many others mentioned in this thread would fall in the same category. While they may not be high art, I would enjoy watching an occasional episode of them instead of the same old stuff offered over and over on TV today.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.