Classical "Mega" CD Box Sets

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by dajokr, Jan 28, 2012.

1. onlyconnect

onlyconnect The prose and the passion

€799

Tim

giantleech likes this.
  2. ssstand

ssstand Forum Resident

That's the call I made. I put these artist-oriented boxes into three categories: there are those by artists I love, those by artists I can't stand, and those that are historically and artistically significant.

I (almost) always buy the set if it's by someone I love. They always manage to find something to top off these megasets, and it's nice to have all of the CDs in one place. I won't purchase those by artists I dislike--it's just not worth it in the long run. And then there is the third category. I've had my tastes broadened and my eyes opened by some of these (the Munch and Boulez boxes come to mind). I put Serkin in this last category, so I have it on pre-order.

3. Marc Perman

Marc Perman Forum Resident

I very extravagantly already have the 1960s and 1970s boxes, at a certain point this begins to feel less like a music collection and more like the Library of Congress.

Mr. H, delmonaco, RiRiIII and 3 others like this.
  4. floydfan

floydfan Forum Resident

There is a listing on jpc.re for a new 160 CD Haydn Edition by Brilliant Classics being released on 10/15/17 but no box cover.

bluemooze likes this.
  5. floydfan

floydfan Forum Resident

Complete Amadeus Quartett on 09/22/17 according to jpc.de.

[​IMG]

delmonaco, RiRiIII, bluemooze and 4 others like this.
  6. floydfan

floydfan Forum Resident

Vladimir Ashkenazy Solo And Chamber Recordings on 09/01/17 according to jpc.de.

[​IMG]

bluemooze likes this.
  7. J.A.W.

J.A.W. Music Addict

Beware! It's only an "artist's selection" and far from complete - for instance, his Beethoven Piano Sonatas are not included and other stuff is also missing.

Last edited: Jul 7, 2017
    misterjones and bluemooze like this.
  8. giantleech

giantleech Lord of all fevers and plagues

Where does one order this? My Googleing capabilities fail me for this one, for some reason.

How many copies is this limited to?

Any best prices for this spotted out there?

Rmihai0 likes this.
  9. alankin1

alankin1 Forum Resident

Complete Deutsche Grammophon, Decca & Westminster. 70 CDs.

Daedalus, RiRiIII and bluemooze like this.
  10. floydfan

floydfan Forum Resident

You can preorder it on jpc.de but as far as finding deals on it you'd probably have to wait until release or close to release. I looked at all the major retailers but none of them have it listed.

Rmihai0 and giantleech like this.
  11. dajokr

dajokr Classical "Mega" Box Set Collector Thread Starter

RiRiIII, bluemooze, crispi and 2 others like this.
  12. hvbias

hvbias Midrange magic

Now that looks like a very tempting box set :eek: I have no use for the vinyl though, would have been nice if they left that off.

13. J.A.W.

J.A.W. Music Addict

Glad I'm not a Glenn Gould fan, I don't need to buy all those reissues :)

14. hvbias

hvbias Midrange magic

I can appreciate his playing, not sure I would consider myself a fan due to the immense depth of classical pianists to choose from. Can't say I've heard a better interpretation of the Goldberg Variations than his on the '55 recordings. I also like that this has a near 300 page book.

15. Kate_C.

Kate_C. abyssus abyssum invocat

Gould's renditions are seminal, having defined contemporary perception of the piece. If you're a Deadhead, you've likely heard a hundred variations of Dark Star across a hundred shows, and pinning down a shortlist of a favourites is about the best I can do on a given day. I feel the same way about the GV, though I must say - and I'm sure many of you are familiar with this release (SK 89243) - Perahia's magnificent recordings from July 2000 hold me in sway more often than any other rendition; though the emotive quality of a particular performer and his instrument is largely a subjective phenomenon. Check it out!/peace,K
    [​IMG]

Daedalus, bluemooze, zeram1 and 8 others like this.
  16. dajokr

dajokr Classical "Mega" Box Set Collector Thread Starter

First time, I believe, we've had a Grateful Dead crossover reference on this topic - awesome! As a fellow Deadhead, I second your thoughts on Dark Star.

I find Gould's later studio recording more satisfying than the earlier one. I also find as a general rule, if an artist has recorded them twice, the later one usually sounds better to me. They all seem to figure out that the genius is in the score and needs little to no embellishment. I have about 20 distinct recordings, with about a third of them on harpsichord/clavier. Can't point you to a favorite, though there are probably five or so that, taken together, start to triangulate on what Bach achieved with the piece. I think the Perahia is one of those top 5 for me.

Daedalus, SteveKn and ssstand like this.
  17. hvbias

hvbias Midrange magic

I do have this CD but it's probably been over 10 years since I've heard it. Will set aside some time this weekend, thanks for mentioning it. Perahia's Bach English Suites is more fresh in my mind and are performances that I enjoyed.

18. David*M

David*M Forum Resident

Amazon Italy is running a sale on selected classical boxes now through Sept. 4. Looks to be an assortment of about 150 sets available, with the amount of the discount varying from item to item. Several I spot-checked are going for about half their current price on Amazon US (after currency conversion), which means they're still a bargain after paying for international shipping.

Amazon.it: Promo Musica Classica: CD e Vinili

19. The Pinhead

The Pinhead KING OF BOOM AND SIZZLE IN HELL

I have only a 4-CD boxset (4 punk comp CDs in a cardboard slipcase). That's it. Any other posters who doesn't have any boxsets ?

20. ggjjr

ggjjr Forum Resident

I've bought more box sets in the last three years than the prior 30. This forum is responsible for many of them. After reading reviews here I've had the confidence that they are worth spending the money on.
    I now have enough classical music that I could listen to one disc a week for many years. Then I'll start over.

21. Martin H

Martin H Forum Resident

Amazon.co.uk have the Sony 30 cd box Giuseppe Verdi Great Recordings at just £16.99. Giuseppe Verdi - Great Recordings: Amazon.co.uk: Music
    RCA recordings of 1960s/70s, including Ernani, Macbeth, Luisa Miller, Vespri, Boccanegra, Trovatore, Traviata, Rigolettov + highlights, recitals & Requiem.

bluemooze likes this.
  22. Daedalus

Daedalus I haven't heard it all.....

the RCO Radio Legacy box set is still available. Limited to 1000 copies. It collects volumes 1-7 previously released.

bluemooze likes this.
  23. bluemooze

bluemooze Senior Member

An amazingly innovative and imaginative post for a thread with "Box Sets" in the title. :winkgrin:

The Pinhead likes this.
  24. The Pinhead

The Pinhead KING OF BOOM AND SIZZLE IN HELL

Good idea. I've started one. Thanx.

bluemooze likes this.
  25. Shapeshifter

Shapeshifter Well-Known Member

Thanks for the info