Classical "Mega" CD Box Sets

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by dajokr, Jan 28, 2012.

1. Tom Campbell

Tom Campbell Forum Resident

I'm puzzled -- does the new Richter Carnegie Hall box contain any performances that are not included in the Sony Album Collection, from just two years ago?

2. hvbias

hvbias Midrange magic

Yes there is music not on the Album Collection.

3. J.A.W.

J.A.W. Music Addict

A lot, or not that much?

4. hvbias

hvbias Midrange magic

It is I believe 2 or 3 discs worth and all Beethoven (note I can be mistaken), but I didn't want to post that earlier; I'm on call tonight and can't check the contents easily on my phone. There is some duplication like Op.57 played twice on two separate dates and both performances are stellar (IMO slightly better than the studio recording he did for RCA), I think this is one of the Beethoven pieces only played once on the earlier Complete Album Collection.

It was around $7 shipped when someone posted the deal months ago (no doubt a price mistake) so I bought it without checking the contents.

Tom Campbell likes this.
  5. Lonson

Lonson I'm in the kitchen with the Tombstone Blues

RiRi answered this here: Classical "Mega" CD Box Sets

Tom Campbell likes this.
  6. hvbias

hvbias Midrange magic

Thanks!

I should add to my earlier post Op.57 is played twice on the Complete Album Collection box (live and studio), what I meant is it's played twice live on the latest Carnegie Hall 1960 box.

7. George P

George P Notable Member

Apparently, there are two discs in the Richter Carnegie set that were in the Great Moments of Carnegie Hall 43 CD box set released last year that did not appear in the SONY Complete Album Collection.

Tom Campbell likes this.
  8. George P

George P Notable Member

These are the works that did not appear in the SONY Complete Album Collection:

SIXTH RECITAL: DECEMBER 23, 1960
    Beethoven: Sonatas 3, 9, 10, 17 ‘Tempest’, 23 ‘Appasionata’

Works (above) that did not appear on the SONY Complete Album Collection - Beethoven Sonatas 10 (Op. 14/2)and 17 (Tempest.) The other three were performed earlier on Oct 19th at Carnegie Hall.

hvbias likes this.
  9. Lije Baley

Lije Baley Forum Resident

bluemooze likes this.
  10. floydfan

floydfan Forum Resident

I ordered the Karajan opera box from amazon for $130 about 7 weeks ago but it still hasn't shipped. Almost every time I get a good deal on something it never ships.

11. ssstand

ssstand Forum Resident

That's a shame. I think I've only had amazon cancel an order on me once or twice over the years (I refer to "amazon" proper--I have had orders canceled by marketplace vendors more than that). While I understand why some would want the librettos, I have the librettos for most of the operas contained therein twice over, so getting it all in one box is terrific. I picked the Karajan opera box up for about $80 two years ago from amazon.de--such a bargain!

12. hvbias

hvbias Midrange magic

There are a couple of Decca boxes for Szeryng and Grumiaux, these are both around 14 discs plus minus. The Discogs entry for the Szeryng box says it is Universal Music Italy. I can find even less info on the Grumiaux.

Anyone know anything more about them? Chances of seeing them reissued in larger boxes? I am going to add them to my interested list, the recordings look very good and I'm fond of music that was written by composers that were also violinists, which both boxes have numerous pieces of.

And for those that missed the Quartetto Italiano box, either this was put back in print or Amazons found additional stock so it's back to being affordable. I'm quite fond of this box.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Nov 11, 2017
  13. J.A.W.

J.A.W. Music Addict

I have the Grumiaux, but haven't listened to it yet.
    Arthur Grumiaux - Mono Recordings - Decca: 4828399 - 14 CDs | Presto Classical
    Arthur Grumiaux - Mono Recordings (14 CDs) – jpc

hvbias likes this.
  14. hvbias

hvbias Midrange magic

15. J.A.W.

J.A.W. Music Addict

It's a Universal Italia box and the booklet is in English and Italian.

hvbias likes this.
  16. Mowgli

Mowgli Runs with scissors

I'm enjoying the Mozart & Beethoven BC Edition megaboxes so I researched the Haydn & Bach.
    I compared pricing when I researched the players on the Haydn megabox and decided it was worth it.
    It has the versions that I want of the music I care about all in one place for cheaper than separate boxes.
    On the way - https://www.amazon.de/gp/product/B07511FB9L
    Happy Birthday to me from me (early in Dec.)
    The ball/chain & MIL are gifting me the Mozart box that I'm 20+ discs into already.
    [​IMG]

bluemooze likes this.
  17. hvbias

hvbias Midrange magic

I'll have to respectfully disagree on the BC Beethoven box, I thought the performances were pretty underwhelming and I eventually sold it on Organissimo. I played the Bach box less, but wasn't impressed with it either.

J.A.W. likes this.
  18. Shapeshifter

Shapeshifter Well-Known Member

Letting you guys know, Importcds now has 10% off again.

Runicen and JazzFanatic like this.
  19. Mowgli

You disagree that I'm enjoying it. That's interesting.

Does anyone have a Scarlatti complete sonatas on harpsichord box?
    Which one and howizit? Thx

20. J.A.W.

J.A.W. Music Addict

Not exactly on-topic (I mean my post, not yours :)), but I really don't understand the apparent fascination with mediocre or worse orchestras and ensembles in some classical music threads. I wonder why people don't seem to mind sloppy playing.

Last edited: Nov 12, 2017
    crispi likes this.
  21. J.A.W.

J.A.W. Music Addict

I'm not @hvbias, but I understand he doesn't like the performances, which he finds not very good - that's where he disagrees with you, not the fact that you're enjoying them.

hvbias likes this.
  22. Mowgli

Anyone have the Belder and Scott Ross complete Scarlatti sonatas boxes?
    Care to share your opinion on them?

23. dafnis

dafnis Forum Resident

Scott Ross: Excellent playing and excellent recording. This is THE version. Also, you better like the harpsichord if you get this box set.

scompton and Mowgli like this.
  24. MichaelCPE

MichaelCPE Forum Resident

I have the Belder box and are enjoying it.

Mowgli likes this.
  25. Mowgli

I just played the Scarlatti discs from the Gustav Leonhardt box & Andreas Staier from the 60CD Baroque box. Both harpsichord & both amazing. The funniest thing was the Staier disc sounded like a freaking Casio on my bedside boombox but correct on the den stereo.
    Scarlatti must be popular with heavy metal guitarists. Some of it rocks hard.

OTOH I'm not fond of the tinkley sounding harpsichord on Leonhardt's JS & CPE concertos disc.

Last edited: Nov 12, 2017