Classical "Mega" CD Box Sets

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by dajokr, Jan 28, 2012.

1. dajokr

dajokr Classical "Mega" Box Set Collector Thread Starter

Good to know. I’d have been interested in this set if they hadn’t just got me to buy the 4 individual boxes. I’m hoping the DVDs will be packaged up separately later.

I agree with your assessment of the Korean 60s (and 70s) box. I had the Korean 60s box when it first came out - larger mini LP sleeves with better detail and protective liners. I ended up getting rid of it because My OCD couldn’t handle having a my 60s box be different than the other ones. :D

Marc Perman and Ben in Colorado like this.
  2. DaleClark

DaleClark Forum Resident

Qubuz is showing a "remastered" Schnabel Complete Sonatas by Warner Classics released last year. I will listen over the weekend. I hope they did not get crazy with noise reduction

3. J.A.W.

J.A.W. Music Addict

I read somewhere that they (Warner, who acquired EMI Classics) did indeed apply a lot of noise reduction, just like EMI did with previous complete Schnabel sets. Haven't heard the recent set myself. I have the Schnabel Naxos series.

4. hifidelitea

hifidelitea Senior Member

Are there any suggestions of mega SACD Classical Box sets out there that's worth buying?
    I do hope the RCA Living Stereo would if they have not done so.

I have (5 short of a mega box set); a 20 CD set of Karajan Edition, 100 Meisterwerke DG DDD recording.

5. ubertrout

ubertrout Forum Resident

There aren't really any. The largest SACD box I know is is the complete Shostakovich Symphonies.

6. hvbias

hvbias Midrange magic

There is one of Bach's Sacred Cantatas by Suzuki though the performances are mediocre. At ImportCDs a lot of those Living Stereo SACDs were around $9 before the 10% discount, I've noticed them slowly raising prices on box sets, maybe as their stock gets low?

Also recommending Mark Obert-Thorn's Naxos transfers for Schnabel. They aren't as cheap as a box set, I do wish I could have had them all these years instead of seldomly listening to the Pearl transfers due to how rough they sound at an acceptable volume level. Literally changed my opinion on Schnabel's Beethoven just from a wide gap in mastering differences.

JMR and ubertrout like this.
  7. ClassicalFan

ClassicalFan Well-Known Member

Amazon.de's 3 for 2 sale is going on now.

Using the holidays as an excuse, finally splurged on three mega sets:

1) Liszt Complete Piano Music (Leslie Howard) - 99 cds
    2) The Menuhin Century-Luxury Edition - 80 cds + 11 DVDs
    3) Rudolf Serkin - The Complete Columbia Album Collection - 75 cds

My poor wallet :(

bluemooze and hvbias like this.
  8. Michael H

Michael H Forum Resident

WARNING - The Pavarotti Complete Opera Recordings

My set arrived today from Amazon and the CDs are all in cardboard sleeves with the spine facing upwards. I looked for the 'Madam Butterfly' recording. At first I thought it wasn't there but then discovered that when you pull out the sleeves containing CDs 29-30, which are labelled 'Beatrice di Tenda' on the spine, it turns out that the cover image is in fact 'Madam Butterfly' and those are the discs contained inside.

In addition the CDs 35-36, labelled 'Maria Stuarda' are actually 'Luisa Miller'. CDs 90-91 are labelled 'Manon Lescaut', but turn out to be 'Rigoletto'.

These are presentational errors but they do not inspire confidence! As there are 100+ CDs in the box I 'm hoping that the sloppiness is confined to mislabelling. It will take a while to see whether the CDs themselves contain errors.

I'll try and contact Decca to see if they have plans to replace the misprinted sleeves.

Papageno and zeram1 like this.
  9. Shapeshifter

Shapeshifter Well-Known Member

I cannot find the deal. would you please share the link? thanks

10. dajokr

I don't consider myself an expert by any means on Bach's Cantatas, but I am an enthusiast, and I have enjoyed those from the Suzuki cycle that I've listened to (I have the box). Can you characterize what you think is mediocre about them?

MarkAJ likes this.
  11. scompton

scompton Forum Resident

3 kaufen, 2 bezahlen

bluemooze and Mowgli like this.
  12. hvbias

hvbias Midrange magic

I'm not an expert either :) I found it lacking, uninspired compared to Gardiner's.

13. J.A.W.

J.A.W. Music Addict

No idea in which language scrompton's link was (probably German, it's in Dutch for me), but, just in case, here it is again, partly in English: 3 kaufen, 2 bezahlen

14. 5-String

5-String μηδὲν ἄγαν

Of course, everyone has its preferences, but, I got to say guys, the Suzuki Cantatas are among the best recordings of these works. And yes, I consider myself an expert.:)

drum_cas, JMR, MarkAJ and 2 others like this.
  15. dajokr

Fair enough. Was just curious as I am always interested in refining my appreciation and understanding of these works. In general, I love Gardiner's interpretations, but I have found that Suzuki has a lighter touch in some which suits them better. Gardiner likes to play these in a very lively manner, rescuing them (in his view, I think) from the somewhat staid and stodgy tradition of Bach interpretation.

The best example I've found to illustrate the differences between the Gardiner and Suzuki cycles is the Alto/Tenor Aria from BWV 134 (Cantata No. 134, "Ein Herz, das seinen Jesum lebend weiss," BWV 134 (BC A59): 4. Aria. Wir danken und preisen...). Suzuki just captures it exquisitely -- perfectly paced --with the right mix of joy and solemnity. Gardiner's sounds like a horse race in comparison.

16. scompton

scompton Forum Resident

You can select English as the language on Amazon.de. It runs the site through a translator so it’s not perfect. I have no idea why the link shows as the page title. I just posted the Amazon url

17. scompton

scompton Forum Resident

I usually dislike altos. I actually like the alto in a lot of the Suzuki cycle

18. hvbias

hvbias Midrange magic

Thanks, this is helpful. I have the redbook rips so I'll compare those two.

19. DEVA

DEVA Forum Resident

bluemooze likes this.
  20. Carlos Bejeeber

Carlos Bejeeber Forum Resident

I love Gardiner too, AND I love Suzuki. Bach's cantatas are like, say, Beethoven's piano sonatas or Mozart's piano concertos in the sense that multiple recordings are needed in order to really understand their richness. Suzuki tends to be serene and ethereal; he makes me think of angels basking in pure beauty. Gardiner tends to be more vital and flesh-and-blood; he makes me think of humans feeling passions and struggles. Suzuki is more abstract, with pure steady tones from his singers; and Gardiner is more detailed, with moment-to-moment inflections from the singers.

Very glad to have both! Also glad BTW to have Karl Richter's incomplete set. Plus Harnoncourt/Leonhardt's pioneering but idiosyncratic set. Still, Gardiner and Suzuki are the most rewarding for me -- in their different ways.

drum_cas, zeram1, bluemooze and 3 others like this.
  21. hvbias

hvbias Midrange magic

It was a little under $80 shipped (US address) at Barnes and Noble in their last classical box sale after the fall coupon.

Nice diplomatic way of putting it :) I will certainly revisit it now that a couple of people have given a detailed reply. When I heard Suzuki after years of listening to Gardiner my thoughts were a bit more harsh. I've changed my mind on many classical discs over the years and wouldn't be surprised here.

5-String likes this.
  22. Black Elk

Black Elk Music Lover

Amazon UK has the Mozart 225 box on offer today (Black Friday). It works out to 203. 07 pounds shipped to the US, or about $270. Not the killer deal of a year ago which many of us took advantage of, but may help some late comers!

bluemooze likes this.
  23. giantleech

giantleech Lord of all fevers and plagues

Where to get at this price, if still available at said price?

Michael H likes this.
  24. Ben in Colorado

Ben in Colorado Forum Resident

Amazon.co.uk

giantleech likes this.
  25. George P

George P Notable Member

Marston Records, a historical classical label that does superb work, from sound quality to packaging to repertoire, is having a rare 30% off sale. I just got this email from them:

Marston Records - dedicated to preserving the great performances of the past and keeping alive
    the remarkable traditions that were prevalent at the dawn of recording.

For those residing in the U.S., I hope you enjoyed a wonderful Thanksgiving. For those whose Thanksgiving is in the near past or future, please share our holiday in spirit.

This has been a year with personal ups and downs, but at Marston, there is always something to be thankful for. In fact, in less than a month, Marstonwill mark its 21st year in business. Many of you have been with us since the beginning and we want to celebrate our 20th Anniversary with you in a meaningful way.

A Marston sale is a very rare event. I believe we have had just three sales since we began and the value of our CD sets seem to increase universally.

Starting now, at the beginning of black Friday and ending on Cyber Monday (27 November 2017 at 11:59 pm EST), everything in our current catalogue will be 30% off. Please use this opportunity to fill in gaps in your Marston collection, or get your holiday shopping done early. Share your interest with a friend or a loved one and know that you will be supporting something that hopefully has been meaningful to you.

Go to our website, order what you like, and type CELEBRATE when prompted to enter a discount code. Your CD order will be reduced by 30%.
    Happy 20th Anniversary to Marston. May we all be around to celebrate future anniversaries together.

Joyfully,
    Ward Marston, Scott Kessler, Rich Harris, and Mark Stehle
    (610) 690-1703
    [email protected]
    www.marstonrecords.com

Michael H, Bubbamike and crispi like this.