Classical "Mega" CD Box Sets

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by dajokr, Jan 28, 2012.

1. crispi

crispi Sound Archaeologist

That word always ends up being used that way. As if progress were a bad thing :)

J.A.W. and Mowgli like this.
  2. ubertrout

ubertrout Forum Resident

Noticed Presto is doing a big sale on box sets. Anyone see any particular bargains there?

3. password196

password196 Well-Known Member

‘73 was a great time to be young. My cello teacher had this chick in his house with a different last name (and you know it smelled funny when she was around) and she played the viola da gamba. You just knew it was because she would never play cello as well as any of the men.
    This was my introduction to “historically informed performance practice.”

4. Lije Baley

Lije Baley Forum Resident

Actually, anytime is a great time to be young...

To bring this diversion back on track, the mega-box track that is, obviously the young woman's name was not Jaqueline du Pre. Few men played cello better than she.
    [​IMG]

5. J.A.W.

J.A.W. Music Addict

Back to the big Rudolf Serkin box - am now listening to Beethoven: Piano Sonatas 8, Op.13; 14, Op.27/2; recorded in NYC, 1941-1942 and 1945. Disc 2.

[​IMG]

6. ccarty

ccarty Senior Member

I'd love to get it, but it is $1300 Canadian dollars!

7. George P

George P Love Will Lead Us

Karajan's jets aren't cheap. :cool:

ssstand and crispi like this.
  8. giantleech

giantleech Lord of all fevers and plagues

I got mine through Amazon.uk, at B.I.C.'s recommendation. Cost me approx. $750.00 USD total (ordered in British pounds.) Maybe try there if it doesn't show up elsewhere at a lower price.

Ben in Colorado likes this.
  9. Black Elk

Black Elk Music Lover

It would be approx. $100 cheaper from Amazon Germany right now with standard shipping.

Cost is Euro 503.36 with four shipping options ranging from Euro 50 - Euro 70 (approx.). XE.com converts the Euro 553.51 price with standard shipping to $656.63.

10. giantleech

Even better. :thumbsup:

11. Ben in Colorado

Ben in Colorado Spending into extinction.

This is one of the few sets that I would trust to be not damaged going through StandardShipping because it is so well packaged. Typically I choose the shortest shipping time cause the longer it is in transit, the more chance for damage. It usually pays off.

12. Black Elk

Black Elk Music Lover

Of course, the above prices all assume that such a costly box gets through Customs without getting dinged for sales tax!

Ben in Colorado likes this.
  13. ccarty

ccarty Senior Member

:agree:

And thanks for all the suggestions!

14. floydfan

floydfan Forum Resident

Did they ship it with the factory packaging or did they just throw box set in an amazon box? If it came in the factory package, was it protected with styrofoam?

15. giantleech

Factory packaging box with surrounding structural/protective foam braces. :thumbsup:

16. dajokr

dajokr Forum Resident Thread Starter

Excited to find a proto-mega box set today, a 25 CD number (jewel cases!) from Philips entitled "Golden Baroque":

[​IMG]

It is full up from the gilded age of classical CDs, with brass hinges on the box top, gold discs and CD trays, and the foil Philips labels.

[​IMG]

Cost me about $60 in a used shop - 20 of the 25 CDs are still sealed.

clint1976, bluemooze, hvbias and 4 others like this.
  17. Marko K

Marko K Forum Resident

Whats the status on the complete Mozart box set? Are all the available copies in japanese or something?

18. Åke Bergvall

Åke Bergvall Well-Known Member

I assume that like earlier, if you buy from a German-speaking country the books will be in that language, otherwise in English. I bought mine last year from CD.ON, a Swedish seller, and it was in English.

Marko K likes this.
  19. dajokr

dajokr Forum Resident Thread Starter

Not sure how available sets in English are for a reasonable price. Jpc.de has both German (300 Eur) and English (500 Eur!). And I just saw a Japanese edition at Tower earlier today if you want one. ;)

Marko K likes this.
  20. Åke Bergvall

Åke Bergvall Well-Known Member

Those are probably as good prices as they come today. CDON. com now charges about 650 Eur for it (English ed. I assume).

21. BSC

BSC Forum Resident

Anybody got any good SACD Classical box set recommendations?

22. Black Elk

Black Elk Music Lover

Amazon Italy has the English version for Euro 225 (but you will need to sign up for Prime, which can be cancelled later):

http://amzn.eu/3qnlcop

For those who speak French, Amazon Germany has that version for Euro 200:

https://www.amazon.de/dp/B01GR16LO4/

Use the translate feature in Chrome if you need help reading any of the sites which do not offer an English language version (Germany and Japan do, France and Italy do not).

Mowgli likes this.
  23. ubertrout

ubertrout Forum Resident

There's a bunch of great box sets at low prices direct from the LSO - shipping to the US is cheap and shipping within the UK should be even cheaper: Box Set Sale

The survey of Shostakovich's Symphonies by Kitajenko and the Cologne Orchestra is another must-have on SACD: Shostakovich: Symphonies Nos. 1-15 (complete) - Capriccio: C49545 - 12 SACDs | Presto Classical

There are also a couple of good boxes from BIS (Beethoven Symphonies from Vanska and the Minnesota Orchestra, Beethoven Sonatas on Fortepiano by Brautigam) as well as the megabox of the complete Bach Cantatas with Suzuki and his Japanese Bach ensemble, which has been nearly universally praised. Pentatone also has two different Beethoven symphony boxes (Herrewhege and Masur, the later from vintage quad tapes) as well as Mari Kodama's Beethoven Piano Sonatas and Janowski's Bruckner cycle with the OSR. I also like the Bruckner Cycle on Coviello conducted by Marcus Bosch. And the San Francisco Mahler cycle conducted by MTT as well...

BSC, 5-String and bluemooze like this.
  24. Tribute

Tribute Forum Resident

I have never heard of US Customs charging a sales tax. That is a state function.

25. Lonson

Lonson Don't get around much anymore

Shostakovich: The Complete Symphonies Hybrid SACD on Capriccio

[​IMG]

Beethoven Complete String Quartets. Harmoni Mundi

[​IMG]

bluemooze, ubertrout, BSC and 2 others like this.