Classical "Mega" CD Box Sets

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by dajokr, Jan 28, 2012.

1. ccarty

ccarty Senior Member

Referring to Canadian customs...

2. J.A.W.

J.A.W. Music Addict

It's the same with EU customs.

3. floydfan

floydfan Forum Resident

I got mine from amazon Germany for $700 with their fastest shipping. If you want this box set don't hesitate ordering from Europe since it's so well packaged I don't see how it could get damaged. All 4 corners of the outer box on mine were dented but the foam perfectly protected the box set. It's a beast of a box set.

4. Black Elk

Black Elk Music Lover

Ship it via OnTrac!!!!! :evil:

5. giantleech

giantleech Forum Resident

Dropping in to see if I can get some opinions on the recent Solti 108 x CD box. The repertoire of compositions looks appealing but how do people here rank this conductor, these recordings and this set overall?

(Note: apologies if this set had already been discussed ad nauseam elsewhere in this massive thread.)

6. Bubbamike

Bubbamike Forum Resident

Up above I posted a review of the set from the Chicago Tribune. Solti isn't everyone's cup of tea but when he is good, he is very, very good.

7. Black Elk

Black Elk Music Lover

Classical "Mega" CD Box Sets

giantleech likes this.
  8. Shapeshifter

Shapeshifter New Member

Has anyone collected or listened to the mega box "Great Pianists of the 20th Century"? Is it worth to collect?
    [​IMG] [​IMG]

9. J.A.W.

J.A.W. Music Addict

I think the original poster of the Classical Music Corner thread, @George P has this set or at least parts of it, so I guess you'd have a better chance to get an answer there:
    Classical Corner - Classical Music Corner

Shapeshifter likes this.
  10. George P

George P I Know The Pieces Fit

I have many volumes from that series and they are all wonderful!

Shapeshifter likes this.
  11. scompton

scompton Forum Resident

I have the whole set, purchased individually over the years and there’s not a dud in it IMO. My only complaint is that I’ve had to repurchase some of the music when half of an album is in this set. For example, the Moravec set has half of the Debussy Vox Box. Actually the Moravec has half of 4 or 5 albums. Even so, it was great for me because it Was an introduction to a lot of the music for me. For instance, one of the Brendel sets has a disc of Haydn sonatas. I had never heard them before and loved them. I ended up buying Brendel’s box of Haydn sonatas.

There is some overlap with other mega boxes.

Shapeshifter likes this.
  12. J.A.W.

J.A.W. Music Addict

You hit the nail on the head, there's a lot of duplication with the mega boxes that have come out in the last few years. Another particular problem for me with the Great Pianists series is that I'm not (and never was) too fond of the playing styles of many earlier pianists, it's often too cavalier or idiosyncratic for my taste. To each their own, of course :)

crispi and Shapeshifter like this.
  13. password196

password196 Well-Known Member

[​IMG]
    I always liked this one.
    [​IMG]
    Great sounding brass.

Last edited: Dec 30, 2017
    bluemooze and giantleech like this.
  14. Lije Baley

Lije Baley Forum Resident

The "Red Fedora" Haydn Symphonies performed by the London Philharmonic Orchestra are, of course, not included with the Chicago Symphony Orchestra mega-box.

I've always enjoyed Solti's performances and am slowly working my way through the 108-CD box, a disc here and a disc there. It's really well done, and with the Fritz Reiner box, is the extent of my "conductor specific" boxes. The performances here led me to purchase Solti's "Ring of the Nibelung" mini-box, which is a very well reviewed set. (With the Vienna Philharmonic and also not in the Chicago box.)

Last edited: Dec 30, 2017
  15. ssstand

ssstand Forum Resident

I have not yet purchased the Solti Decca Chicago Symphony Orchestra (CSO) set, but I will. He is a major, major conductor and the CSO was one of the best symphonies in the world while he was at the helm. The Decca recordings are for the most part very highly regarded, with some of them being essential.

This is my opinion, of course. But for my money, recordings made between ~1960 and ~1990 were about as good as they get, there are many wonderful conductors and orchestras who were recording during that time, and the record companies put serious resources into making the recordings as strong as possible. Sometime between 1954 and 1956 the major record companies developed the ability to record in stereo. By that time, a slew of terrific conductors were in place both in Europe and the US--in no particular order, Bernstein, Reiner, Munch, Szell, Walter, Klemperer, Ormandy, Karajan, Beecham, Bohm, Haitink, Boult, Boulez, and others developed long-standing relationships with certain orchestras. Playing standards improved considerably over pre-WWII levels, and the record companies competed vigorously with each other to record as much of the standard repertoire as possible.

Solti was right there in the middle of this, and was heavily promoted by Decca. I believe he still holds the record for most Grammy awards (not that that means a whole lot), and the CSO was highly regarded as one of the best orchestras in the USA. Obviously not all of the 108 CDs will be of equal quality, and his terrific opera recordings are not included in this box, but if you look at the contents and it looks of interest to you, I would snap it up. It's as good as they get.

16. J.A.W.

J.A.W. Music Addict

Nice post, but I don't think I'll be getting the Solti/CSO set; as I explained in another thread a while ago many of Solti's recordings are just not my cup of tea, though his early Mahler 1, 2 and 9 with the London Symphony Orchestra are fine.

17. Åke Bergvall

Åke Bergvall Well-Known Member

Actually, the ones Solti recorded with the CSO are, i.e. Wagner's Dutchman and Meistersinger, Beethoven's Fidelio, Verdi's Otello, and Schönberg's Moses and Aron.

18. floydfan

floydfan Forum Resident

bluemooze likes this.
  19. Åke Bergvall

It's not a bad place to start since it includes most of Karajan's EMI and DG recordings up to and including 1960 + a number of famous early opera recordings not incleded in either of their boxes. One misses EMI/Warner's recent masterings in their Complete Official Remastered edition, but the sound quality is not bad overall, provided one can live with early mono recordings (although it also includes later stereo ones as well).

Last edited: Jan 1, 2018
    bluemooze likes this.
  20. J.A.W.

J.A.W. Music Addict

I avoid labels like Document. Their sets may be a bargain, but they usually sound not as good as official sets (i.e. sets released by the owners of the recordings) that are taken from original sources like mastertapes etc. and the packaging is mostly minimal.

George C. and crispi like this.
  21. crispi

crispi Sound Archaeologist

Indeed. Document: terrible label. Same as Membran. I remember having gotten some jazz sets from them many years ago, without knowing much about how labels like that work, and even then being appalled by the bad quality.

5-String and J.A.W. like this.
  22. Åke Bergvall

While I agree with your general assessment, this particular box is not half bad, especially if you are interested in the numerous operas, which are not included in the Warner box. Having said that, I bought the Warner box when the price was low enough, and have kept only the opera recordings from the Document box.

23. Pickering33

Pickering33 Forum Resident

Currently working my way through the Solti box. Has anyone else noticed the mistake on the cover of the Bartok disc containing the Miraculous Mandarin or in this case “ndarin”

24. crispi

crispi Sound Archaeologist

That’s why it’s miraculous. It can survive without those letters.

5-String and George P like this.
  25. Papageno

Papageno Well-Known Member

I caved in and bought the box during the holidays.
    If you hear anything about a replacement program, please let me know.
    [​IMG]

bluemooze likes this.