Classical "Mega" CD Box Sets

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by dajokr, Jan 28, 2012.

1. Abuelo Igor

Abuelo Igor Forum Resident

Yeah, but he's usually someone else's cup of coffee.

crispi likes this.
  2. crispi

crispi Vinyl Archaeologist

Barbirolli may be a cup of tea, but Solti is definitely coffee. :)

5-String likes this.
  3. floydfan

floydfan Forum Resident

Which set are you referring to? All I can find is the 32 disc DG complete recordings.

4. J.A.W.

J.A.W. Music Addict

5. buzzlulu

buzzlulu Forum Resident

Once this Mozart box set is shipped to the STATES, and VAT is removed and shipping costs added back in, what is the final cost?

6. floydfan

floydfan Forum Resident

Thanks for that. The few reviews I have read seem favorable although not very detailed or elaborate. I guess I'll see if any owners chime in. I already ordered the DG set.

7. Tribute

Tribute Senior Member

The best way to find out is proceed to the order through the second to last step (before final click of "place order". The price will appear. If you are not happy with the price, close the page and all will be erased (though it may remain in your cart in some cases...but that can also be deleted in a separate action). Most often with my cases it does not even stay in a shopping cart.

8. ssstand

ssstand Forum Resident

Years after they came out, my recent purchases of the Lili Kraus EMI/Erato and the Delius Centennial Box on EMI/Warner arrived today. From what I have listened to today at the office, both are terrific. Thanks to all of you who have spoken well of these over the years--it helped me to get off the dime and purchase them both.

bluemooze, hvbias and George P like this.
  9. scompton

scompton Forum Resident

I've almost pulled the trigger on the Delius a number of times. I finally decided I have enough with all of Barbirolli's Delius recordings reissued on Naxos and about a dozen other albums of his music.

ssstand likes this.
  10. ssstand

ssstand Forum Resident

This is listed again on amazon.com for $149.

ggjjr likes this.
  11. ssstand

ssstand Forum Resident

This was my problem with both of the boxes--I have lots of Mozart piano recordings and lots of Delius (mostly Beecham, but also some Barbirolli). I have determined that I want to buy fewer boxes, as I have much of what I need. But these two ultimately proved too tempting.

12. scompton

scompton Forum Resident

I have no idea why I typed Barbirolli. It’s Beecham on Naxos that I have.

13. 5-String

5-String μηδὲν ἄγαν

Barbirolli has recorded some great Delius with the Halle orchestra. If you like Delius you should get some of these recordings.

14. ubertrout

ubertrout Forum Resident

Looked at the new release list for Sony Classical Masters...a number of interesting releases, including all of Riccardo Muti's recordings of semi-obscure Italian composers. I also noticed this - it seems like most of these Eurodisc LPs were never released digitally previously? According to Presto it's 14 hours of music.

[​IMG]

Edit to add: actually, it looks like a reissue of this OOP set:
    [​IMG]

hvbias and Michael H like this.
  15. 5-String

5-String μηδὲν ἄγαν

The "Quartetto Italiano: Complete Decca, Phillips, DG Recordings" is $66.96 right now on amazon.com if anyone is interested.

16. Runicen

Runicen Forum Resident

I know this is grossly immature and probably an immense disrespect to what is doubtless amazing music contained within, but I lost it a little at a box set entitled "Wiener Musik."

I now yield the floor to more measured and mature forum members. :D

arley, bigstar87, password196 and 2 others like this.
  17. ssstand

ssstand Forum Resident

This set is as good as they get. If anyone is interested in becoming familiar with this repertoire, this is an outstanding set by one of the all-time great string quartets.

bigstar87, alankin1, ggjjr and 2 others like this.
  18. ubertrout

ubertrout Forum Resident

Some of the music from this disc is also included in that box set. Different performers though.

[​IMG]

crispi, bluemooze and Runicen like this.
  19. hvbias

hvbias Midrange magic

It went out of print for a while and someone in this thread even mentioned getting a counterfeit from somewhere. I bought one from ImportCDs as a gift in November/December and it was a legitimate copy. Truly an excellent box.

20. Marc Perman

Marc Perman Forum Resident

I love the Italiano's immaculate, expressive style. I've given away the individual recordings I had and got this box instead, a no-brainer.

bigstar87 and 5-String like this.
  21. dajokr

dajokr Classical "Mega" Box Set Collector Thread Starter

That was me. After it went out of print, I found one for about $85 on eBay, but it was counterfeit. I didn't figure it out until a while after I bought it. I have been struggling somewhat with whether to rebuy it now that it is available since I hate having a phony in my collection.

hvbias likes this.
  22. 5-String

5-String μηδὲν ἄγαν

How did you know that your copy was counterfeit?

23. dajokr

dajokr Classical "Mega" Box Set Collector Thread Starter

It’s actually a pretty good fake, but the dead giveaway is that the CDs come in plastic inner sleeves inside the cardboard outers. You can also tell by the ink quality - it is just a bit less sharp than an official product. Didn’t check to see if they are CD-Rs or pressed.

5-String likes this.
  24. hvbias

hvbias Midrange magic

On the back of the CDs in the hub there is a holographic Universal logo, I have never seen this on fake CDs. You are correct the real version does not come in plastic inner sleeves.

25. password196

password196 Forum Resident

I have a couple of his operetta recordings. They're nice.

Runicen likes this.