Classical "Mega" CD Box Sets

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by dajokr, Jan 28, 2012.

1. 6138

6138 Forum Resident

I know you were hesitant about buying from Germany. Don't be. Last Friday I received the Telemman 30 CDs box from there, before their estimated delivery time and in good shape. The outside box was very battered, but the actual product was OK.

Mowgli likes this.
  2. hvbias

hvbias Midrange magic

Always nice to discover a completely new (to me) artist- Nicole Henriot-Schweitzer, two excellent piano concertos with her in the big Charles Munch box.

Nicole Henriot-Schweitzer — Wikipédia No English Wikipedia page for her.

I am about 3/4 way through this box and have enjoyed it a lot, plenty of French music and even the old warhorses almost always have an excellent, live like energy to them.

Robur, bluemooze and George P like this.
  3. RiRiIII

RiRiIII Forum Resident

... tomorrow never knows...

4. misterjones

misterjones Smarter than the average bear.

Not hesitant when it comes to Amazon Germany. I'm more concerned when it comes to those selling through Amazon that far away and the hassle of returns. I bought from a UK seller selling on Amazon US and I had to return the item. I was able to return it domestically. I'm not sure they have that for a foreign seller selling though Amazon overseas. Then there's the whole import fees issue, which adds a measure of uncertainty.

5. 6138

6138 Forum Resident

I got it. Makes perfect sense.

6. 5-String

5-String μηδὲν ἄγαν

Shawn, bluemooze, Bubbamike and 3 others like this.
  7. 6138

6138 Forum Resident

8. J.A.W.

J.A.W. Music Addict

This is not one of those Arkiv on-demand sets that are printed on CD-R, is it? There's no mention of that on the page, at least I couldn't find it.

9. DEVA

DEVA Forum Resident

My Tafelmusik Baroque Orchestra box I paid EUR 35.97 from Amazon.de back in February 2016. Actually EUA 30.24 after VAT removed. An excellent box-set, even now at 49.00 I would definetely buy it if I had not done before.

Mowgli likes this.
  10. misterjones

11. J.A.W.

J.A.W. Music Addict

Harmina Mundi France is independent, Deutsche Harmonia Mundi is owned by Sony.
    Harmonia Mundi - Wikipedia

The Tafelmusik box was not issued by either Harmonia Mundi, it's a Sony Vivarte release.

misterjones likes this.
  12. misterjones

Even better.

The Vivarte 60-CD box is out of print. So again, if Sony wants to go crazy with reissues . . .

Mowgli likes this.
  13. J.A.W.

J.A.W. Music Addict

Oops, typed too fast.

14. 6138

6138 Forum Resident

If that gets reissued I won't even think about it. Just press the "buy" button.

tone ded freb and Mowgli like this.
  15. fnord

fnord Well-Known Member

It's also available for 52€ on amazon.de and 60€ on amazon.fr. Back in print would be my guess.
    Oh my god yes

16. deus62

deus62 Mega everything.

Although I had sworn to myself not to, I added some shelf space that needs to be filled ... Freud & Jung could have had a field day with me. ;)

[​IMG]

bigstar87, arley, bluemooze and 8 others like this.
  17. kingofdmv

kingofdmv Forum Resident

My god, how big is this box? It looks huge!

18. DEVA

DEVA Forum Resident

My God, how big is this music room? It looks huge! :laugh:

Be Bop Deluxe, Runicen and kingofdmv like this.
  19. George P

George P Notable Member

My God, are the box sets in your avatar lining up to take over the world?

20. DEVA

DEVA Forum Resident

Me too. This (Vivarte Vol1) is one of the box-sets that, despites of so many warm recomendations, I was not able to get before going out-of-print. One more regret in my collection. Unfortunatelly you and me should not nurture a hope on this (re-issuing), that is rather rare with Sony. Just as an example, I´ve been waiting for a re-issue of the Julian Bream box for years...

21. 6138

6138 Forum Resident

I am afraid you may be right. I was really getting excited about a reissue of Vol 1, but IF that happens is not going to be soon. IMO a reissue of Vol 1 will kill the Tafelmusik box, way too much overlap between Vol 1, Vol 2 and the Tafelmusik with the 3 boxes in the market at the same time.

22. DEVA

DEVA Forum Resident

Yes too many overlap. I read somewhere earlier in this thread that 2/3 of the Tafelmusik box are present in Vol1 and Vol2. Apart from money this overlap was the very point which prevented me from buying Vol1 while it was on print. I´m not sure if I´m just suffering from the "Principle of scarcity effect" but now I feel I should have bought the box despites of the overlaping.

23. scompton

scompton Forum Resident

I didn't buy the Tafelmusik box because it had too much overlap with Vol. 1, and I only thought the Tafelmusik discs were just OK.

The highlight of Vol. 1 for me are the Huelgas Ensemble discs.

dajokr likes this.
  24. J.A.W.

J.A.W. Music Addict

I'm not fond of label boxes and didn't get any. I prefer conductor and performer boxes and I did get the Tafelmusik box, having been on the fence for ages. I am still not sure about it, it has a lot of stuff that's not really my cup of tea. It's one of my least favourite big boxes.

25. hvbias

hvbias Midrange magic

Have you had a chance to hear much of the Arrau box set, if so do you hear any noise reduction (some "Philips Legends" or "Classics" CDs had it), or were they reusing the remastering that came out later on?