Classical "Mega" CD Box Sets

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by dajokr, Jan 28, 2012.

1. misterjones

misterjones Smarter than the average bear.

Here's what someone else said:
    A 10-CD overlap is too much for me. There's only a 1-CD overlap between the silver and gold boxes, but even that bugs me. Archiv didn't include half of "Gothic Music" (a 2-CD collection) in the silver box. So instead of just putting the other half in the gold box and adding another CD, they put both on. Seems silly. There also is a Bach Mass in B Minor on both. Though a different ensemble - and therefore not really a duplication - I would have preferred a entirely different Bach work. Even if the Baroque Box required some of the same compositions, different recordings should have been used. For example, the same Monteverdi vespers recording was used twice. Archiv also has versions by McCreesh and a "Venetian Vespers" recording by McCreesh that would have been interesting.

fnord likes this.
  2. scompton

scompton Forum Resident

I have the McCreesh Venetian Vespers on Brilliant Classics and it is good.

3. 6138

6138 Forum Resident

I agree with that. What I meant was to ask was how many works are duplicated. I was severely tempted to buy the 3 boxes, but then I asked myself: "Do I really need so many versions of the same music while there is so much new music I can buy?" My answer was NO. Even if the versions are good, it is still the same music I already have.

4. deus62

deus62 Mega everything.

It looks huge in comparison ... on my photo because I also made it look quite a bit bigger (camera perspective) than it actually is. I've had (much) bigger boxes and this one is actually a very nice size. As has has been stated elsewhere, I would have liked the accompanying book to be a hardbound one, but that's a minor niggle. I've been working my way into - and partially through - the box and so far I really like what I'm hearing (a lot of it I had heard previously or had in separate editions that I ditched when I moved, knowing I would get this box once it came down a bit in price).

I'm a sucker for these boxes, but I don't make any excuses. Yes, I've had boxes that double-up on stuff I already had (usually in other boxes), but when I compare what has been happening these past (many) years in regard to reissuing classical music, I could cobble together a more than solid collection of music I like in about 1/10th (or less) of the time it took me to assemble the heart of my collection, the jazz one (which took me 30+ years to assemble).

I have to admit though that I was less discerning when it comes around to classical music, simply because I don't have the (listening) experience I have in regard to other genres. But, these - sometimes massive - boxes have turned me onto, for example, baroque music that I had previously only enjoyed here and there, and, especially, also to music that was recorded before that time. I discovered a lot of things that were totally unknown to me and the boxes have started to lead me down paths I would never have explored otherwise. The financial aspect is negligible, simply because I don't spend much money elsewhere, really, and because I usually take the risk and wait for things to come down in price (I would say I have had a success rate of about 90% in that department ("win some or many ... lose a few")).

I still have a number of boxes on my "must-have" list, but not many, and I'm always interested in the next one coming up. And, to close this meandering post on a note of praise, this thread here has become one of the very few on this site that I still peruse on a daily basis, simply because there are a lot of passionate collectors here that provide both regular and infrequent followers with a wealth of tips, knowledge and, yes, also personal opinion and (sometimes sharp) criticism. I appreciate it all.

So, guys (& gals), thanks!

[done]
    :)

5. Åke Bergvall

Åke Bergvall Forum Resident

I did bite the bullet when the price went down to €62, and am pleased I did. I have listened through about 3/4 of the content and can give it a warm recommendation overall, with what I've heard so far ranging from good to excellent (mostly the latter). For the most part DHM is a safe bet.

misterjones and fnord like this.
  6. deus62

deus62 Mega everything.

Mine is en route from Spain. Should be here tomorrow or Monday.

7. misterjones

I'm sure there are others, but so far I have concluded DHM and Archiv are safe bets (at least for the type of music I'm currently listening to). They don't seem to have a lot of material on the market, but I like Glossa, as well. How about a 50-CD Glossa box . . . or maybe just La Venexiana? And while I'm at it, where's the Handel Opera box? I should start at thread about mega-sets that should exist.

bluemooze likes this.
  8. Åke Bergvall

Åke Bergvall Forum Resident

While not a mega box, Virgin classics put out an Alan Curtis box of six Handel operas, which I'm afraid is quite expensive these days (much more reasonably priced when I got it): https://www.amazon.com/dp/B001RPAYY4. I also noticed another Sony box (which I do not own) with eight operas that are more well-known than Curtis' selection: https://www.amazon.com/Handel-Opera...rd_wg=NKwEh&psc=1&refRID=7CPZH3CGWCTSYNKNABCB. The price at Amazon.de is quite reasonable at €50: https://www.amazon.de/dp/B001V69WN8.

Last edited: Apr 21, 2018
    misterjones likes this.
  9. bluemooze

bluemooze Senior Member

:edthumbs:

misterjones likes this.
  10. 5-String

5-String μηδὲν ἄγαν

There are two box sets from La Venexiana, one is the complete Monteverdi madrigals and the other is a collection of lesser known madrigalists from 16 and 17 centuries. I got both and I can tell you That they are great buys for someone who is into this type of music.

Worker and misterjones like this.
  11. 6138

6138 Forum Resident

Harmonia Mundi is another safe bet.

bluemooze, misterjones and fnord like this.
  12. 5-String

5-String μηδὲν ἄγαν

I received the Tafelmusik set two days ago from Archiv and there is nothing on the box that points out to this being reprinted. Even the sticker talks about it being a limited release.

fnord likes this.
  13. Michael H

Michael H Forum Resident

14. misterjones

Based on current listening habits, my preference would be something by Harmonia Mundi or Archiv. Though not reaching mega status (9 CDs), I'm getting the following:

[​IMG]

5-String, fnord and bluemooze like this.
  15. bluemooze

bluemooze Senior Member

:agree:

5-String likes this.
  16. misterjones

I'm also listening to the Rooley set. I have his John Dowland recordings. La Venexiana's L'Orfeo is my favorite.

[​IMG]

This post raises the question, then why not this?

[​IMG]

5-String and fnord like this.
  17. hvbias

hvbias Midrange magic

Amazon Italy is having 20% off if you buy 3 CDs/box sets, though the selection is very narrow. Click "musica classica" on the left: Promozione CD: 3 al 20% di sconto

IME that is one of the lower prices I have seen on Ansermet's Russian Music if you are outside the EU and get VAT subtracted.

Michael H and 5-String like this.
  18. 6138

6138 Forum Resident

The Medieval and Renaissance box is simply amazing! I own it and I can't find any single reason not to recommend it. You won't regret it.
    The repertoire is excellent, the performances are superb and the sound is great.
    The only issue is that is only 50 CDs long. It should have 100!

zen, bluemooze and fnord like this.
  19. bluemooze

bluemooze Senior Member

:righton:

20. petdevaney

petdevaney Forum Resident

I apologize in advance if this might be the wrong thread to ask this question and or if my question is too specific.

In @ 1980-1981, I was at Kean college in Union, New Jersey. While there I took a "Classical Music Appreciation" class. It was through this class that I realized how much I liked classical music and still do.
    While taken the class we had to buy a 20 volume box set that was a requirement. (It was vinyl and I believe it was 20 LP's, although it might have been a bit more or less. It had a light blue cover.)

After awhile I replaced all the music I enjoyed on this mega classical set with CD's. I sold off the box set.

What I'm curious about is:

1) Did anyone also go to Kean college in the 1980's, take this "Classical Music Appreciation" class and remember who put out this box set?

2) If you do know what the box set was, is it available on CD?

Thank you in advance for any answers.

21. Black Elk

Black Elk Music Lover

Was this it?

[​IMG]

Sorry, couldn't resist! :)

arley, Runicen, djbarry and 1 other person like this.
  22. 5-String

5-String μηδὲν ἄγαν

Listen, don't mention the Beatles! I mentioned it once, but I think I got away with it alright...:D:D

[​IMG]

fogalu, Runicen and djbarry like this.
  23. Mowgli

Mowgli Runs with scissors

I got this Funk & Wagnalls set of 22 composer essays along with a huge LP lot off Craigslist.
    Not the F&W records but the essays are pretty good.
    Not good enough for a college course and it was 22 volumes from 1975 not 20 but maybe this?
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Apr 22, 2018
    bluemooze likes this.
  24. DEVA

DEVA Forum Resident

Hello,
    For those of you who luckly own all of these 6 "safe-bets" box-sets listed below, how do you rate them from "favorite" to "less favorite"? In other words, if the house is burning with fire, in which order would you save them?

- Archiv Produktion Vol2 Analogue Recordings 1959 - 1981
    - Archiv Produktion Vol1 1947-2013
    - Vivarte Vol1
    - Vivarte Vol2
    - L'Oiseau-Lyre Baroque Era
    - L'Oiseau-Lyre Medieval & Renaissance

Regards,
    DB

Mowgli likes this.
  25. Runicen

Runicen Forum Resident

Got kind of a weird question for the quorum.

Picked up a copy (finally) of the Gould "Remastered" box set. Contents are intact, but the box looks like it's been through the wars, including a split corner on the lid. I'd like to attempt some restorative surgery on this beast, but the goal is to pick a glue that will restore some strength to the box but which won't eventually eat away at or discolor the cardboard and printing. Anyone had any luck with particular products for similar repair jobs?