Classical "Mega" CD Box Sets

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by dajokr, Jan 28, 2012.

1. misterjones

misterjones Smarter than the average bear.

The only similar surgery I've done is joining the split seams of vinyl (LP and 45 RPM) boxes by applying Elmers glue on the inside. If the box is a bit beat up I also might dab a bit on the outside of the seam. After letting it dry - held together in some manner (perhaps with a rubber band of appropriate, not-too-tight size - I squeeze out another reinforcement line on the inside and let that dry. I don't recall Elmers eating away at the box or discoloring. You could test it out on similar material first. Whatever you do, don't use Gorilla Glue. Of course, you also could use tape on the inside of the box (with or without glue).

Runicen likes this.
  2. misterjones

misterjones Smarter than the average bear.

Are you sure it was 20 LPs? That's quite a load. I have Benny Goodman's complete RCA recordings on 16 LPs and that's almost 1-3/4" thick.

It sounds like the kind of thing Reader's Digest or Time-Life or maybe RCA Victor would issue. I have an overview set of classical music on 10 45-RPMs (EPs) from the 1950s called The RCA Victor Listener's Digest. That's the label that might have had the inventory to produce a comprehensive set suitable for college use in the U.S. back around 1980.

3. 6138

6138 Forum Resident

I have one question for you guys: What is your opinion on the Brilliant Classics Complete Mozart Edition?
    I have the chance to buy it used cheap ($100), but I am not sure, I've heard dissenting opinions about it, some people praise it extensively, but some other don't care so much for it.

4. DEVA

DEVA Forum Resident

Hello,
    What is the currency?

My comments:
    1) A brand new factory sealed copy of this collection is currently EUR 99.99 on Amazon.de according to this info:

Amazon Global Product Price Check

2) This collection, in all its versions (the current version is the 5th or 6th version since 2006), has most of the time been found under EUR 100,00
    Sometimes it appeared with price as lower as EUR 60,00

3) Based on the above, I consider 100.00 an expensive price for an used copy.

4) After owning myself this box of Mozart Complete Works by Brilliant Classics for 10 years, I eventually sold my copy recently in 2017.
    I personally did not like this collection. I have owned it just for "completist" reason, but most of the time during those 10 years I eventually run away towards other recording of every work. In my humble opinion it is a box not as good as Brilliant´s Bach and Beethoven complete Editions.

regards,
    DB

Last edited: Apr 23, 2018
  5. kingofdmv

kingofdmv Forum Resident

Anyone have this set? I'm about ready to pull the trigger on Amazon.de for $115 US. Is it worth it?

[​IMG]

fnord likes this.
  6. 6138

6138 Forum Resident

Thank you for your answer!

The currency is US dollars.

Based on your comments and what I have found online I think I will pass on that. Especially since I have the Mozart 225 in MP3. I was planning on buying it based on the same reason, "completism" and the fact that I liked the idea of having all Mozart in CD and not just MP3, but I don't think it's going to happen.

7. I wasn't aware of the Price Check web site you posted (I've only used www.camelcamelcamel.com which tracks US Amazon pricing history) - thank you for that!

8. DEVA

DEVA Forum Resident

Hello. Normally I use both tools, Heidoc and CamelCamelCamel. Ther former for the snapshot of currently prices accross all Amazon sites, and the later for the historic prices, usually I cross check both informations in search of the best deal and best moment. Heidoc unfortunatelly has been blocked by Amazon US and Canada, still work for the other sites. The CamelCamelCamel you mentioned can be used for checking the history not only for US Amazon but actually rather to all other Amazon sites too, had you realized that? Just paste the URL of whatever Amazon and it shows. Amazing tools, both of them.

Shawn likes this.
  9. Åke Bergvall

Åke Bergvall Forum Resident

Another similar tool is Keepa, which loads a comparison on the actual Amazon page for each item, and it does include both the US and Canadian Amazon prices at this point (+ any other Amazon that is selected). I find it very useful and convenient.

Shawn likes this.
  10. 6138

6138 Forum Resident

Since I am quite inexperienced with Brilliant Classics and many posters here have extensive experience with them, may I ask which Brilliant's releases are worth having and which ones not?

11. moops

moops Senior Member

Yep, another vote for Keepa :thumbsup:

Last edited: Apr 24, 2018
    DEVA likes this.
  12. I gave mine away to my sister when Deutsche Grammophon's set (Mozart 225) came out. Bought it cheap, but never liked it. The piano concertos and symphonies didn't come near to what I already had and the operas were just bad. I wouldn't recommend it. While not complete, DG's Mozart 111 Masterworks set is similarly priced and offers a lot more value. Get it while it's still there:
    https://www.amazon.de/Mozart-111-Me...TF8&qid=1524579790&sr=8-1&keywords=mozart+111

crispi and SteveKn like this.
  13. 6138

6138 Forum Resident

Thank you!

I was not aware of the existence of that box, and looks indeed like a very good option.

14. DEVA

DEVA Forum Resident

What I currently have by Mozart is:

The huge "Mozart 225" box, this is essential to have.

And then some smaller boxes with recordings that were originally part of the previous "Philips Complete Mozart Edition", such as these ones:

https://www.amazon.de/Mozart-Comple...93557&sr=1-15&keywords=mozart+complete+operas

[​IMG]

https://www.amazon.de/Mozart-Quinte...r=1-1&keywords=mozart+quintets+quartets+trios

[​IMG]

https://www.amazon.de/Complete-Moza...keywords=mozart+arias+canons+ensembles+lieder

[​IMG]

https://www.amazon.de/Complete-Moza...ozart+violin+concertos+wind+concertos+philips

[​IMG]

Despites of the "old school" feeling throughout, I would like to have collected all the small volumes of the Philips Edition, were them not so expensive as they were.

(To be continued...)

bluemooze likes this.
  15. DEVA

DEVA Forum Resident

crispi and bluemooze like this.
  16. DEVA

DEVA Forum Resident

17. DEVA

DEVA Forum Resident

18. DEVA

DEVA Forum Resident

The problem with Keepa, for me, is that is is a "addon" for our web browsers. I don´t like 3PP addons due to web security reasons...

crispi likes this.
  19. DEVA

DEVA Forum Resident

This Brilliant Classics box is worth getting:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Haydn-Comp...sr=8-4&keywords=adam+fischer+haydn+symphonies

[​IMG]

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Bruckner-S...ywords=brilliant+classics+bruckner+symphonies

[​IMG]

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Bruckner-C...&sr=8-16&keywords=bruckner+symphonies+tintner

[​IMG]

bluemooze, Wes H, zen and 2 others like this.
  20. E()

E() Cat Herder

This is a tough (and likely expensive) question.

I have everything on this list except the Archiv and Vivarte vol. 1 sets ( but looking for them). There is so much good, and interesting music on theses sets I would be very hard pressed to pick a favorite.

I will add the caveat that I am by no means a classical expert. Most of what I learned has been through this thread

fnord likes this.
  21. Ben in Colorado

Ben in Colorado Forum Resident

This is the only BC box I own and I think it is phenomenal. I bought from Amazon.de which is much cheaper than the US Amazon.
    https://www.amazon.co.uk/Russian-Pi...17487&sr=8-1&keywords=russian+piano+concertos

22. 6138

6138 Forum Resident

Thank you Ben. I received today the Brilliant's Vivaldi, I listened parts of 3 CDs is so far is great. I always check the flute concerto "Il Gardellino" firsr because it has a particular meaning to me: It is the first piece of Classical Music I heard live in my life when I was VERY young and in this set sounds incredible.
    I expect many hours of enjoyment in the next months! And summer is near, since I am a teacher that means A LOT of music listening!

23. ggjjr

ggjjr Forum Resident

This is a great set. One of my favorites!!

Mowgli likes this.
  24. Mowgli

Mowgli Runs with scissors

If it's in a burning house and I get to grab one then I'd grab L'Oiseau-Lyre Baroque Era because I don't have it so it's not my house. Phew.

Be Bop Deluxe, hvbias and fnord like this.
  25. Mowgli

Mowgli Runs with scissors

I have the L'Oiseau-Lyre Classical & early Romantic box and enjoy the Classical enough that I'd wager that I'd love their Baroque box too.
    I have the 3 Archiv boxes and with about 20 of each listened to I prefer the Analog Stereo box so far.