Classical "Mega" CD Box Sets

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by dajokr, Jan 28, 2012.

1. Edgard Varese

Edgard Varese Royale with Cheese

They are all well-known works, but the Living Stereo box contains what would likely be called "popular classics".

wwright and TonyACT like this.
  2. Scooterpiety

Scooterpiety Ars Gratia Artis

I'm really psyched about the forthcoming Toscanini box! A photo:

Attached Files:

3. dajokr

dajokr Classical "Mega" Box Set Collector Thread Starter

Already on pre-order. :righton: I cannot wait for that one...

4. ubertrout

ubertrout Forum Resident

EMI recently released a 26-CD box of William Steinberg's (essentially) complete recordings for them in the 1950s.

5. John B Good

John B Good Forum Hall Of Fame

Regarding volume, nayone know if these mega-sets are mastered for achieving similar volumes from disk to disk, or are they direct copies of whatever was issued at any time over the period of the original recordings.

I like putting 5 disks on a changer and not having to adjust volumes...

6. Jim B.

Jim B. Senior Member

The EMI sets used existing cd configurations and masterings. I think some of the Sony sets are newly remastered. The Decca set is new configurations so I assume new masterings.

Unlike rock CDs the vast majority of these sets have a lot of care taken over the sound.

SOONERFAN likes this.
  7. John B Good

Thanks for the info.

I'm sure you're right about the sound :)

8. kinkling

kinkling Forum Resident

Just saw the Mercury Living Presence set and the price is dynamite. Not sure if I should go for that, or the RCA box, or just cherry pick the three-track recordings in SACD form. Decisions, decisions. I enjoy Baroque and Classical music, but know next to nothing of conductors' quirks or classic performances/versions.

9. john greenwood

john greenwood Senior Member

I have the Mercury set. There is only a minimal amount of Baroque and classical (IIRC no Mozart or Haydn). Similarly the RCA Living Stereo has very little pre-1800 music. That's not what the record companies were focussed on in the 50's and 60's.

10. Greg Arkadin

Greg Arkadin Forum Resident

There's been a slew of megaboxes from France dedicated to the EMI output of Cziffra (40 CDs), Marcelle Meyer (17) and Samson Francois (36). The Cziffra is listed as out of print, but I could well imagine another print run of this magnificent collection. The Meyer is also fabulous and includes her interpretations of Couperin, Rameau and other rather uncommon composers in the piano repertoire. The Francois is of variable quality but always interesting and well worth the price; his early Chopin is especially excellent. There's also one for Yves Nat (15 CDs) of his Beethoven and Schumann.

11. Jim B.

Jim B. Senior Member

All but 2 or 3 of the SACDs are oop and going for lots of money so you're better off buying the box. It's probably the price of one of those oop SACDs in some cases.

12. carledwards

carledwards Forum Resident

Just got my Merc box from Amazon UK. Can't wait to dig in! Love the packaging.

13. John B Good

I just received the Decca box. Not opened yet, but I am anticipating a lifetime of enjoyment

siveld likes this.
  14. scompton

scompton Forum Resident

I have the following boxes

Decca Sound
    DG 111 vol. 2
    Sacred Music (HM)
    Beethoven Complete Masterpieces (Sony) that I got for $25 from Amazon

I'm considering the Mercury and Living Stereo Boxes as well. The problem with the Living Stereo Box is that I already own about 20 of those CDs.

I also own all but 3 of the Great Pianists of the 20th Century that I've bought individually over the years.

I also hav

15. farmingdad

farmingdad Forum Resident

That is about right as it will take me a lifetime to get through some of these!

SOONERFAN likes this.
  16. Beholdentonoone

Beholdentonoone Forum Resident

If you don't mind me asking why did you order the Mercury box from Amazon UK? Seems to me that w currency conversion that makes it $50 more expensive than pre ordering from Amazon US.

17. Manelus

Manelus Forum Resident

Bach - Hanssler Classic Edition Bachakademie - Rilling is very high quality in almost every recording. very consistent IMHO. Beware: No period instruments :)

18. john greenwood

john greenwood Senior Member

Starting this month, it'll have to compete with the Teldec set.

Attached Files:

19. carledwards

Nope, actually about the same price. Within a dollar or two and I got it early.

20. carledwards

I'm loving the Decca box. Great sound so far and I'm just getting started with it.

21. Manelus

Manelus Forum Resident

Mmm... looks very interesting :)

22. Peter77

Peter77 Forum Resident

It's essentially the same as the Teldec Bach 2000 set which was originally released in July 1999 - minus the extravagant packaging and copious documentation, but with an added DVD (presumably containing the aforementioned liner notes).

Well worth the investment if you missed out first time round.

23. dajokr

dajokr Classical "Mega" Box Set Collector Thread Starter

The DVD seems to contain a BBC documentary, which makes me wonder if we'll be getting electronic documentation as we did with the Hanssler reissue.

24. NorthNY Mark

NorthNY Mark Senior Member

Same here! I think this particular box is amazing--it's hard to imagine a better start for someone just beginning to build a collection. I'm up to the Curzon/Britten Mozart concerto disc, and there have been no real disappointments (although the New Year's Day in Vienna is probably not one that I'll revisit very often). The Britten War Requiem and Messiaen
    Turangalila were particularly stunning.

25. Scooterpiety

Scooterpiety Ars Gratia Artis

I just saw these complete Leontyne Price sets yesterday. 26 discs for about $75. Sony/RCA has similar sets by Bjorling, Domingo and Caballe. Going to get them all!

Attached Files:

Fredarc likes this.