Classical "Mega" CD Box Sets

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by dajokr, Jan 28, 2012.

1. J.A.W.

J.A.W. Music Addict

Or this Classical Music thread: Listenin' to Classical Music and Conversation

bluemooze likes this.
  2. hvbias

hvbias Midrange magic

Robur, bluemooze and scompton like this.
  3. Mich

Mich Active Member

Good to know they are not identical, because I already have the DG Symphony box. Perhaps not so good for my wallet and am running out of shelving spaces...

4. Runicen

Runicen Forum Resident

The obvious answer is to build more shelves. :winkgrin:

Robur, MrSka57 and Mich like this.
  5. George P

George P Notable Member

Also not good for the wallet....so maybe build more wallets?

Last edited: Jun 7, 2018
    Runicen and Mich like this.
  6. Mich

Mich Active Member

Thanks for the welcome.

I have been following this thread for more than a year now and have since accumulated about 9 mega boxes so far... not good.. lol. because it has not stopped me from buying smaller sets or individual albums, I just like to hoard :0

And too true, the lure of cheap $ per disc and individual covers...

Bubbamike and 5-String like this.
  7. Andy Dursin

Andy Dursin Forum Resident

I was torn on that but it looked a bit higher than I wanted to spend (at least where I was looking). In fact I'm sorry I was late to the party with so many of these...a lot of the boxes are OOP and command high prices, understandably so.

What I ended up doing was buying the first two Decca Sound boxes (which I was able to haggle down for about $85 each, the original and the Analogue Years) and the 24 HOURS OF CLASSICAL MUSIC DG box (nabbed a new one for $30), which I thought were good deals. For just about $200 total on those three I was happy given the higher-priced alternatives!

After scouring over this thread, that first Living Stereo (Collection 1) box-set looks appealing too...do you think it would add good selection/performance to those three? Especially with the ImportCD sale, would end up in the $80 range which isn't bad. (And again thanks to all for the welcome and suggestions, much appreciated)

8. Runicen

Runicen Forum Resident

Maybe it's just rationalization, but I tend to think of it like this: if the sets go out of print, I have them. At that point, I've got the music to digest at my leisure as long as there are working speakers and CD players. Seems a win-win from my perspective, even if none of us have infinite time.

Galley and moops like this.
  9. misterjones

misterjones Smarter than the average bear.

Though the 100-CD set is tempting (especially at the current ImportCDs price with 10% off), I likely will get the 24-CD version. It will nicely complement my 20-CD Harmonia Mundi classical music overview sets (Century 1 & 2). I will compare it to my Archiv 1947-2013 box and assess the overlap.

Andy Dursin likes this.
  10. Pigalle

Pigalle Forum Resident

bluemooze and Mike burgess like this.
  11. Moonfish

Moonfish Forum Resident

Shawn and bluemooze like this.
  12. Black Elk

Black Elk Music Lover

So, the Tchaikovsky Sym. No. 6 disc is in the box twice? :winkgrin:

crispi likes this.
  13. David*M

David*M Forum Resident

Looks like a beautiful set, but you're right about reshuffling ... I know I recognize many of those covers from earlier sets I've got, so the price (currently $415 at Amazon US) will need to drop quite a bit to offset the inevitable duplication.

Speaking of duplication, have any of you created a document/spreadsheet/database detailing the specific contents of the mega sets you own to make it easier to spot-check for duplicates in sets you're considering buying?

14. MrSka57

MrSka57 Forum Resident

A bigger wallet.

Runicen likes this.
  15. MrSka57

MrSka57 Forum Resident

Nah. What's one more copy of Mass in B Minor ....

16. ClassicalCD

ClassicalCD Make audio great again

I don't like that type of packaging. It doesn't fit on shelves intended for CDs.

Runicen likes this.
  17. Runicen

Runicen Forum Resident

Having picked up a few of those DG sets, I have to admit, they're not terribly easy to shelve or peruse.

By comparison, a lot of the Sony classical sets have sleeves with spines that can easily be identified (provided you can read the type), which takes a lot of the guesswork out of finding specific titles.

ClassicalCD likes this.
  18. Lije Baley

Lije Baley Forum Resident

When I started this box buying binge in 2015, I had already burned 500 or so CDs to iTunes so that I could travel with my music. At the time I knew nothing of FLAC or other forms of lossless recording. As I've bought several thousand more CDs I've continued with iTunes, although I'm a couple of hundred discs behind right now. While it's a lot more work than a spreadsheet, the result gives me instant access to my collection. The iTunes search function is a good one, and each box (or sometimes artist or conductor) is its own "playlist." I can search for a work, see how many copies I may have, and by whom they're performed. Each disc is numbered and referenced to its particular box. I can quickly find any piece I'd like to hear. By checking playlists I can compare the contents of a box I own with a similar one offered under new wrapping (just from the pictures, the DG 120 looks a lot like the DG 110 -- not necessarily a bad thing with the latter out of print and overpriced).

crispi likes this.
  19. misterjones

I've done that with some big band music prior to buying, but I don't think I've done that with classical. Today I printed out a list of what's on the DG History of Music in 24 and will be comparing that against my Archiv 1947-2013 box.

20. misterjones

UPDATE - I'm up to 37 CDs, and I don't feel as though I'm even half-way yet. It's almost entirely Harmonia Mundi. There might a couple of DHM included. I cannot imagine what I'd be in for if I didn't limit this to baroque and earlier. If I can average two or three a week, I might be done by the end of the year. The I can start on post-baroque!

21. Moonfish

Moonfish Forum Resident

First image of the box. I wish the Bernstein boxes used actual art or original covers rather than an endless stream of shots of Bernstein himself. Sure - it is a tribute to a great conductor, but it is a little bit "too much".....
    [​IMG]

bigstar87, crispi and bluemooze like this.
  22. Åke Bergvall

Åke Bergvall Forum Resident

Strangely enough the one CD cover that I can read (CD 55 bottom right) is not vocal, but what I suspect is orchestral leftovers that for whatever reason did not make it into the earlier two boxes, perhaps mono recordings of works that were in stereo in the earlier boxes. The only thing I can decipher from the CDs inside the box is the name J. S.Bach on CD 1, which seems more like it. Anyway, I'm eager to add this box to my two others, thereby getting the complete Bernstein on Columbia. I'm especially looking forward to the Haydn masses and the Mahler song cycles (both orchestral and piano versions hopefully).

Last edited: Jun 9, 2018
    bluemooze and TimH like this.
  23. TimH

TimH Forum Resident

Thanks for the info on the new Bernstein box. Since I already have the other two Sony boxes, I think this one is a no-brainer. Will wait a bit before placing the order, but the current price on Amazon.de is appealing.

24. DEVA

DEVA Forum Resident

Furtwangler Legacy 107-CD set: Not sure why... but Amazon Spain opened the ordering of this box-set again, despites of informing it is "temporarily out of stock". The point is that this box-set had been available only through 3th party sellers for more than 1 year in ALL Amazon´s, with price over 99 Euro. This time the ordering is directly from Amazon Spain with the price 74 Euro, which goes to 61 Euro after excluding the VAT.
    Would this order opening means that the box-set is about to be re-released soon? Or was it just a mistake made by an Amazon trainee? Well regardless of that I placed an order now, since this is one of the box in my "regret not buying while available" list.

https://www.amazon.es/Legacy-Furtwä...=2025&creative=165953&creativeASIN=B004JC16LC

I should add the information that despites 61 Euro being an excellent price, probably the best price for this box-set since 2015 in all Amazon´s, the best price ever for this box-set was in November 2014 when during 1 day it was 17 Euro in the same Amazon Spain.