Classical "Mega" CD Box Sets

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by dajokr, Jan 28, 2012.

1. dajokr

dajokr Classical "Mega" Box Set Collector Thread Starter

Just scored a copy of the John Williams (guitarist) box set for $120. Looks like it’s going for over $500 on the used market now that it is out of print. Every once in a while, bargains do still happen!

2. Octave

Octave Shake Appeal

Moonfish or anyone else who has purchased more than one of those Venias sets in the same order for delivery to the USA: about how much did shipping end up being? The stipulation that one can't see this before finalizing the order...it gives me the willies. I am still thinking about some of the Venias items.

3. Ben in Colorado

Ben in Colorado Forum Resident

I’ve ordered from them.
    Shipping was expensive, about 20% of the total cost. But to me it’s worth it as they sold a box set no one else did, produced by Varias.

Totally worth it to me.

203 discs, and in total and still less per disc than the new mega Bach set.

Moonfish likes this.
  4. Matt Richardson

Matt Richardson Forum Resident

That's about my experience too -figure adding an extra 20% of your order total for shipping to the states (via ems). But, like you said, I haven't found any other source for Venias boxes other than HMV Japan -except for flying myself to Japan, which would be much more expensive:)

If you do HMV's three-item discount thing, it does make the per-unit-price much more reasonable.

Ben in Colorado likes this.
  5. Ben in Colorado

Yes "Venias". I don't know why I always write "Varias"!?

Last edited: Sep 23, 2018
  6. Marc Perman

Marc Perman Forum Resident

Music shopping in Japan is phenomenal, if you ever have the chance to go...

Saintbert likes this.
  7. Daedalus

Daedalus I haven't heard it all.....

My phone never likes what I write-constant editing-mostly wrong-don't you love tech.....

8. Daedalus

My wife and I may be going next Spring-her sister is in Tokyo.

9. Marc Perman

Marc Perman Forum Resident

Awesome- Disk Union’s two classical shops and Tower Records are essential.

Daedalus and Saintbert like this.
  10. Daedalus

classical music heaven I hope!

George P likes this.
  11. Moonfish

Moonfish Forum Resident

Make sure to bring several large suitcases.... ;-)

George P likes this.
  12. Moonfish

Moonfish Forum Resident

Hi Octave! It has been a long time! :)

I agree with the other comments in regards to your question. It is in the realm of about 20-25% of the purchase price. I was up in arms about it at the time since it was so unexpected. This is part of their response to my inquiry about shipping costs:

"There is a notice on our help page that the shipping fee quoted on the e-mail is an estimated,
    and it may be changed due to the weight of the items in your order.
    Shipping fee overseas depends on the weight of package and the destination.
    The shipping cost on the price table is an estimate for regular CD/DVDs.
    There are some surcharges for products that are irregular in weight
    and/or size such as boxed sets, books, calendars, accessories, etc.

オンラインショッピング Q&A(お問合せ)|HMV&BOOKS online
    オンラインショッピング Q&A(お問合せ)|HMV&BOOKS online

If you would like to be informed when the delivery cost changes,
    please tick the box before completing the next order.

In that case, we will let you know how much the delivery cost changes via e-mail.
    Thank you for shopping at l-tike HMV.
    We look forward to your next visit to our website."

I hope that is somewhat helpful. The wording is very vague in terms of actual cost, but the check box advice seems helpful. I didn't notice the "check the box" option at the time I ordered my items. Is there such a thing?

13. Moonfish

Moonfish Forum Resident

Ben,
    It is indeed a unique box set and very, very tempting. At the same time I look out over the musical cornucopia residing in my living room. Ah, should one be impulsive? Any further news on your exploration of the set?

14. scompton

scompton Forum Resident

I broke down and ordered the Pavarotti box from amazon.de. It came today packed in two unsealed plastic bags, no padding. Somehow it was not damaged.

I have a question for those how have missing discs. Are the sleeves and discs incorrect or are the sleeves correct and each disc needs to be checked?

bluemooze likes this.
  15. J.A.W.

J.A.W. Music Addict

I've only had one set with a duplicate disc over the last few years (András Schiff's complete Beethoven Piano Sonatas, an ECM set); the sleeves were correct, one of the discs wasn't and the right disc was missing. I returned it to Amazon Germany, all expenses reimbursed, and got a new one from them which turned out to be OK.

16. likes2listen2beethoven

likes2listen2beethoven Forum Resident

In both box sets I had problems with, they had duplicate sleeves of one set and were missing sleeves for the other. I have checked the sleeves to make sure the correct discs are inside also however.

17. dajokr

So, I spent some time counting up the discs in my various sets, because ... well, because I'm nuts. When I include the various box sets I have containing between 5-19 discs along with the 20+ disc "mega" boxes, I come up with 8013 discs. I actually thought it might be over 10K by now -- just means I have to keep collecting for a while.

18. Matt Richardson

Any Venias boxes? If so, what brick-and-mortar do you purchase them at?

19. Ben in Colorado

Moonfish,
    I understand your dilemma. It is the same one I go through every time I am thinking about buying a new set. However this box I feel is probably my last big purchase.

Regarding the Knappertsbusch box, I have only listened to a couple complete Parsifals, and then I sampled some of the orchestral music. Some of that orchestral music is interesting in that it was recorded in the 30s and it sounds as if the CDs are basically 78 records because there’s a lot of poping and hissing. But as a historical document, I think it’s incredible.

I have also listened to Das Rheingold and a couple tracks from the Gotterdamerung, as I know those operas the best, and I use them as my reference for checking quality of production. Really excellent. The sound quality I think is outstanding for being recorded in the 50s and 60s

In terms of the physical attributes of the box, each of the four smaller boxes are beautifully well-made with glossy print on all six sides. The CD sleeves don’t have spines, however spine information is printed and you can find this on the back of each sleeve. The sleeves are better quality then you would get in the DG box. Although all the sleeves look alike in each box, I feel the quality is really there.

The sheer size of this box I think is going to take up my entire fall and winter. Really looking forward to it, and I’ll post more comments if I have any.

nigels, Matt Richardson and Moonfish like this.
  20. dajokr

I don’t have any Venias boxes. I’ve seen many of them at Tower here in Tokyo. I’ve never actually paid much attention to them - are they licensed studio recordings or live performances (or some mix of both)? They always seemed a bit gray-market-ish to me, but perhaps I have the wrong impression.

21. Matt Richardson

Pretty sure it's all unlicensed studio, perhaps out of copyright in Japan, and life stuff.

22. AndyL

AndyL Active Member

Does anyone have a copy of this cheapo 10 CD set called "Perfect Strings". Can you possibly tell me what performances are included because I cannot find anything about it apart from the fact that copies are still available on the second hand market

[​IMG]

23. likes2listen2beethoven

likes2listen2beethoven Forum Resident

Gregor Piatigorsky - The Art of the Cello - The Complete Rca and Columbia Album Collection

This is available for pre-order now at Amazon.fr for ~42€. ($50 USD) including VAT and without shipping for Oct 19 release.

For comparison, Amazon.com currently listing it for $82 and Presto for $86 + shipping. That's a significant price difference.

Of course, one is at the mercy of the shipping from Amazon Europe but the savings would be $30 or so.

bluemooze and Lonson like this.
  24. Lonson

Lonson I'm in the kitchen with the Tombstone Blues

This is perfect for my Dad . . . I pre-ordered. Thanks.

25. Pigalle

Pigalle Forum Resident

bluemooze, Octave, Moonfish and 3 others like this.